It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- The hefty last meal ordered but not eaten by an executed Texas inmate brought a complaint from a state senator and the end Thursday to the practice of special menus
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Now Texas has the highest rates of capital punishment. A few years ago they even speeded up the process.
Now they are seeking to change the law if necessary to prevent last meals for inmates.
I am not really sure what to think of this. To me, a meal really isn't something to be on a campaign about. I think there are bigger issues to worry about. There have been roughly 1100 people executed in the state of Texas in its history, that isnt enough meals to run a third of the cafeteria for a day.
your thoughts?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Another Headline grabber full of crap for CNN.

Texas has NOT dropped the last meal as the article states:
edition.cnn.com...

Whitmire, in asking the state to stop special requests, said he would seek the change by law if necessary.

C'mon CNN...why do you have to mislead your readers with sensationalistic headlines when the story itself should lead? This is one reason (among many others) why we have no confidence in your reporting anymore.

Pathetic.

edit on 23-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I never understood why they received special, by-request meals anyway. Most of the people on death row have been found guilty of violently murdering someone. The person they killed certainly didn't get any final wishes, let alone a last meal, so why should the person that prematurely ended their life receive anything special? Frankly, the people on death row have, on average, received more than 10 years of meals more than their victims.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yeah.. they did drop it. There will still be a last meal I believe, but it wont be at request as it was before. They are doing this because the Brewer fellow that was recently executed ordered a huge last meal and then didn't eat any of it.

James Byrd’s killer arrives at Texas death house, final meal served Posted by Xeni Jardin on Wednesday, Sep 21st at 4:17pm The "other" man to be executed in America tonight, an unrepentant white supremacist who dragged a black man to death in one of the most horrific lynchings in history, "requested an extensive final meal that included two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, fried okra, a pound of barbecue, three fajitas, a pint of ice cream, a meat lover's pizza and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.

boingboing.net
edit on 23-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This is so corny. The person's gonna die FOR SURE in the next couple hours, let 'em eat (or not eat) whatever the hell they want as far as I'm concerned. Take it outside and give the meal to a homeless person if the inmate doesn't want to eat it

"They" just keep chipping away and chipping away at our moral and ethical fiber as a whole.:shk:

Peace

edit on 23-9-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Yeah.. there is no other reason for doing it then a news article.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Lawrence Russell Brewer ordered two chicken fried steaks smothered in gravy with sliced onions, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet with other ingredients, a large bowl of fried okra with ketchup, three fajitas, a pint of Blue Bell ice cream and a pound of barbecue with a half-loaf of white bread.

The meal request also included a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts, a pizza and three root beers.

That is a lot of groceries. I have to agree and say its a total waste.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

edition.cnn.com...

Whitmire, in asking the state to stop special requests, said he would seek the change by law if necessary.

C'mon CNN...why do you have to mislead your readers with sensationalistic headlines when the story itself should lead? This is one reason (among many others) why we have no confidence in your reporting anymore.

Pathetic.

I'm sorry this might be the way that I read the article but toward the end there is the caption.

Brad Livingston, executive director of the Department of Criminal Justice, said in statement released Thursday. "Effective immediately, no such accommodations will be made. They will receive the same meal served to other offenders on the unit."

To me this sounds like they have done away with the last meal and as such the heading for this post and for CNN is valid.

Very interesting that they take this stance I am sure some group will come to protest it and try and have it changed back.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well they are gonna kill the guy might as well let him have one nice good steak dinner before he has to die... right?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vodo34861

Originally posted by jude11

edition.cnn.com...

Pathetic.

I'm sorry this might be the way that I read the article but toward the end there is the caption.

Brad Livingston, executive director of the Department of Criminal Justice, said in statement released Thursday. "Effective immediately, no such accommodations will be made. They will receive the same meal served to other offenders on the unit."

To me this sounds like they have done away with the last meal and as such the heading for this post and for CNN is valid.

Very interesting that they take this stance I am sure some group will come to protest it and try and have it changed back.

Yeah, caught that as well on a second read so which is correct?

Kind of a misleading article altogether.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I dont know to me the tittle reads correct just some readers don't read it right. I geuss they just decided to not read the word special.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
MS 13 are upset most of their members wont have a final meal now....

2nd
edit on 23-9-2011 by FoxfilesMulder because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

That is a lot of groceries. I have to agree and say its a total waste.

It is only a waste if you waste it, someone else could have eaten it or the other prisoners......

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I don't know...

Even if this was doing away with last meals altogether, I'd never really thought about it. Unless they're giving the prisoners the chance to disgest their last meal, and thus also make it their last evacuation as well, it just kind of seems like a waste. I mean, the prisoner isn't going to get any benefit from the food, so it's pretty much just like throwing the food away anyway.

Then again, unless they've got some appeals rolling, you could take that to its logical conclusion and...nevermind, that would be getting into cruel and unusual punishment. But anyway, plenty of people NOT on death row go to bed hungry at night, might as well send the convicted to their deaths in the same manner. Not trying to be cruel or crass, just...huh. I dunno.

Wish I wouldn't have even bothered thinking about it one way or the other. Dang.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

C'mon CNN...why do you have to mislead your readers with sensationalistic headlines when the story itself should lead? This is one reason (among many others) why we have no confidence in your reporting anymore. Pathetic.

I agree, Jude11....

CNN is the most sensationalistic media source known to man, as far as I'm concerned. You cannot take their headlines seriously......you ALWAYS have to read between the lines. It's very shameful.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

C'mon CNN...why do you have to mislead your readers with sensationalistic headlines when the story itself should lead? This is one reason (among many others) why we have no confidence in your reporting anymore. Pathetic.

Who the hell could even EAT a meal knowing they are about to be killed anyway? The whole thing is a joke, frankly.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hang 'um! Hang 'um High!!! so tired of cry babys who dont want to do the time. Go Texas!! Go Arizona!!....and no I dont associate with criminals or walk in their space and time so NO!!! I wont be the innocent guy they put to peaceful blissful sleep. So dont run that argument on me it wont work. Gulag all where it is so cold.

opps!! my bad,,,this is about final porridge .........save the TAX PAYERS money
edit on 23-9-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: added opps!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Save the tax payers money.. worst argument for anything concerning the death penalty ever.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hang 'um! Hang 'um High!!! so tired of cry babys who dont want to do the time. Go Texas!! Go Arizona!!....and no I dont associate with criminals or walk in their space and time so NO!!! I wont be the innocent guy they put to peaceful blissful sleep. So dont run that argument on me it wont work. Gulag all where it is so cold.

opps!! my bad,,,this is about final porridge .........save the TAX PAYERS money
edit on 23-9-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: added opps!

How about some reality:

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join