It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government shutdown imminent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul
reply to post by antonia

does your kid have a monobrow behind that hair?

Yep lol, he's a hairy bud like me.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If they shut down for just a day.
then No goverment!
then no one can stop some one walking in.
and making a new goverment?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Yea Right! And dare to dream.

Promisies, Promises

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Government shutdown imminent

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
No shutdown is under consideration. Here's the thing. A shutdown doesn't just magically happen. If there were a possibility of a shutdown, we (yes I do work for the U.S. Government) would have been preparing for that possiblity for a week or more by now. If you think any politician is willing to risk a shutdown with an election upcoming, you aren't thinking in the right frame of mind. You see, government employees are tax paying voters also, and there are allot of us.

I hope I don't need to point out that a shutdown does not equal a shutdown of Congress, right? They continue to get paid and work. Also, there are many government functions and agencies whose operations are not reliant on the budget and they would continue to operate as usual.

I know, I know. I'm just as governmetn paid dis-info agent, here to keep track of some dude who figured out that chemtrails are actually the visible face of the NWO shadow government who found a secret alien base on the dark side of the moon and uses microwave ovens and fouride to keep the public at large from figuring it all out!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I didn't copy the whole headline or it wouldn't have fit and people wouldn't understand what this thread is about with just the first part...

Here's what happening :

- Congress has not passed any spending bills
- They need to pass them before October 1, the start of the fiscal year
- They know they won't pass them but they are trying to pass a ``continuing resolution``
- The continuing resolution has not passed because republicans want to fund FEMA tornado relief in exchange to cut money for ``green jobs``... of course democrats don't agree because they LOVE their green jobs.
- Congress is going into recess starting tomorrow till early October.

So it's either they pass this continuing resolution (which probably won't pass) or government shut down starting October 1.

Or a big IF... congress could do business next week to pass this and cancel their recess (good luck with that).

The bad news about this is that the government will eventually be up and running again!

And maybe S&P will downgrade America again...

www.zerohedge.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Really? At this exactly when all this other sep 27th stuff is happening , along with Elenin, and the UARS, and All the governments of the world going on break for the next week or two. And the Vatican also.

I mean c'mon people. Not trying to be mean, but how Much crap do they have to throw in your face before you realize you have feces in your mouth ?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
More info :

US Rep. Pelosi says democratic leader ready to meet with republicans and she supports Senator Reid's spending bill

Like that's gonna change anything. Pelosi is a has been.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Good news everyone, the senate has just defeated the republican government funding bill!

The government might shut down after all!

U.S. Government Shutdown Closer as Senate Defeats Disaster Aid Funding Bill

So unless they change their plans and don't go to recess, the government is shutting down starting October 1.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
And the blaming game begins :
Obama Adviser: Shutdown Looms as GOP Bends to Will of Tea Party

Republican leaders are putting the demands of 30 Tea Party members over 300 million Americans, a top White House adviser said Sunday, insisting that Congress pass a resolution to keep government functioning and approve President Obama's jobs plan.

Senior adviser David Plouffe, who managed the president's 2008 campaign, said the Tea Party is controlling the debate in Congress, even as it comes close to a government shutdown over how to pay for disaster relief as part of a continuing resolution to keep government operating.

"We're not going to make progress on the deficit, on things we can do right now for jobs, on tax cuts, unless those 30 or 40 Tea Party members of the Republican House stop being the focal point of our discussion," Plouffe said.

Total bull and he knows it.

There's 435 representatives in the house. 30-40 can't change anything.

Want to pass the bill? DEMOCRATS should vote for it. There's 200 of them. Where are their vote? But of course they won't vote for a republican bill, that would be bad... so it's the fault of the tea party, of course.

Without a continuing resolution, government is set to shut down on Friday. But the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Disaster Relief Fund is poised to run out of cash by Tuesday, if not earlier, with the account at the dangerously-low level of $175 million, according to Senate aides.

Good. Close down FEMA.
edit on 25-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Vote in the senate tonight at 5:30 PM.

Tuesday FEMA runs out of money. Thursday government shutdowns.

So if the vote tonight still fails, there will be a big MSM firestorm.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by EvanJP

What could happen is that people on social security might
not get their checks.Welfare recipients,unemployment,pensions,
military all may not get paid.Then, you will have some really
pissed off people rioting in the streets,martial law,chaos and
the NWO getting into power.

None of this is true. This is liberal fear mongering that was used the last time a government shutdown loomed over us. Fact is, the gov has shut down before and we all came out just fine. A gov shut down does NOT mean that police and firefighters will be laid off, or that medicare and SS will not get paid. It is a shut down of all non-essential workers, of which there are many.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Yes I agree. Shut it down weld the hatch tight, sink the damn thing to the bottom and everyone act non-chalante.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I heard discussion on squwkbox about this. They were saying that it was unexpected- that no one had expected the democrats to dig in on this one.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

You know the whores in congress will never let that happen is nothing but more pony show for the people to see that "they care" about spending.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Ya. We'll see soon enough. The vote was supposed to be at 5.30PM but of course they are not on schedule, as always.

So it should be done tonight. Right now they are doing the quorum call. The vote should happen soon.

To watch it live :
Here

EDIT : VOTE HAS BEGUN. (vote on Reid's amendment) It accepts the GOP bill but it changes something to it. I think if they pass that, the house would need to vote on it... problem is, the house is not there, they are gone on recess.

Reid's amendment failed!
Ooops the vote is not finished! Ooops it failed.

Finally, that retard Reid shut the hell up and the final vote on the government funding bill is going on right now. It will only fund it till November 18.

The vote is not finished, but it's almost guarantee it will pass. (confirmed it passed) It will give funding up to Nov. 18 but the House needs to pass it. So next they will vote on funding through October 4.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The funding that was passed was for FEMA disaster relief only, congress has not passed the funding for the Fed yet, they can not do it because they need to appropriate the money from something else.

So the game is not over.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The longest US Government shutdown was in 95-96 under Clinton. They furloughed all the government workers and when they got the government running again they paid all the workers all their back pay for the time they were off work. The length of the longest shutdown was 21 days.

Even if the government shuts down, it will start running again shortly.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join