It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago labor leader works ONE DAY... gets $158k/year pension for life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Nice uh?

One-day rehiring nets former Chicago labor leader a $158,000 city pension

Most city workers spend decades in public service to build up modest pensions. But for former labor leader Dennis Gannon, the keys to securing a public pension were one day on the city payroll and some help from the Daley administration.

And his city pension is more than modest. It's the highest of any retired union leader: $158,000. That's roughly five times greater than what the typical retired city worker receives.

In fact, his pension is so high that it exceeds federal limits and required the city pension fund to file special paperwork with the Internal Revenue Service to give it to him.

Totally NOT corruption right? Chicago...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
grrr..can i get really pissed off now? ..or will i be accused of having anger issues..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Par for the course for public unions. Except for teachers, of course. If unions really cared about their members, and weren't self-serving disgusting bags of vomit, the starting salary for a public school teacher in my neck of the woods wouldn't be $27k.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Chicago is a corrupt mob town, and the unions are in cahoots.

Screw the unions. When I see a product that says "Union made" it DOES NOT go in my basket.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Unions leaders are voted into office just like politicians are for government office. So does it really shock you that they can be just as corrupt as their government brothers? And as usual people will see this and view all unions as bad just as people see all politicians bad because of a few bad ones.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
And the city responsible will start crying about its budget and raising the cost of living for every resident because "we dont want these poor retirees who've worked for and earned their promised pensions" to suffer.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Not surprised as Chicago is a corrupt city and unions are.....well you know.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Only 158k?

He isn't a job creator. Someone should do something about this and cut his taxes so he can actually help the country and create some dam jobs!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I know for a fact the city of Chicago is not corrupt. The fact that Obama so quickly went from nobody to president faster than just about anybody, and he came from Chicago, proves that well. We all know what an honest guy he is. (sarcasm)

When I learned Obama was the Democrat's choice for Illinois senate I honestly lost all hope for America that a blatant communist could be considered the best person out of 11 million people to "serve" Illinois. Then he became president and I didn't take it too badly since I already knew what was coming. In fact my favourite past-time during his election was ever-so-confidently and boldly calling them idiots for thinking Obama would withdraw any troops at all from Iraq until his re-election campaign started up.

But given how Ron Paul is now re-defining the Republican party maybe the USA has some sort of vindication awaiting after the inevitable debt defaults and general system collapse.
edit on 24-9-2011 by seachange because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
Par for the course for public unions. Except for teachers, of course. If unions really cared about their members, and weren't self-serving disgusting bags of vomit, the starting salary for a public school teacher in my neck of the woods wouldn't be $27k./TOA

Sounds like the teacher's union could do with a little more power to me. Does your chosen lawmaker support them?

Just to add...nobody ever went broke betting that Chicago might be a little corrupt. I'm not sure I'd define ANYTHING by the way it's done in the windy city.
edit on 24-9-2011 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This stuff has been going on for a very, very long time.

In fact, California had a similar scandal in the early 90's.

At that time it wasn't union bosses but fire fighters and police.

You'll find this in many define contribution plans (plans that pay based on salary not contributions).
You just don't hear about them because it's not public funds.

edit on September 24th 2011 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Surely these actions by TPTB are deliberate and the goal is to incite civil disorder?

Then through the chaos provide a solution resulting in a clamp down on civil liberty?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Chicago is a corrupt mob town, and the unions are in cahoots.

Screw the unions. When I see a product that says "Union made" it DOES NOT go in my basket.

Well then,

Thank you for supporting China.

LJ01 is a proud union man. I try to buy american as much as possible..........

Is starting out at $15 an hour that bad? Who cares what this guy makes.

Buy american and support your fellow american(assuming you are american)......By not buying it, your are outsourcing jobs...

If you really care.
edit on 24-9-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join