It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
A man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion, an Irish coroner has ruled.
It is believed to be the first case of its kind in Ireland.
West Galway coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin said it was the first time in 25 years of investigating deaths that he had returned such a verdict.
Michael Faherty, 76, died at his home at Clareview Park, Ballybane, Galway on 22 December 2010.
Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I don't see why it's not possible. There are chemicals that are harmless but once mixed together create fire that is very hot. The human brain/body is full of thousands of chemicals. All it would take is some trigger to mix the wrong two and Poof. I think.
Try setting a small table alight in a typical room, for example, and see what happens
He said Professor Bernard Knight, in his book on forensic pathology, had written about spontaneous combustion and noted that such reported cases were almost always near an open fireplace or chimney.
Originally posted by CN1018
Crazy! I wonder if there has ever been a case of spontaneous human explosion. I can see the headlines now..