It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Irish Case of Death by Spontaneous Combustion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

First Irish Case of Death by Spontaneous Combustion

www.bbc.co.uk

A man who burned to death in his home died as a result of spontaneous combustion, an Irish coroner has ruled.

It is believed to be the first case of its kind in Ireland.

West Galway coroner Dr Ciaran McLoughlin said it was the first time in 25 years of investigating deaths that he had returned such a verdict.

Michael Faherty, 76, died at his home at Clareview Park, Ballybane, Galway on 22 December 2010.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk
www.galwaynews.ie

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It certainly sounds like a 'classic' case of Spontaneous Human Combustion: "The fire had been confined to the sitting room. The only damage was to the body, which was totally burnt, the ceiling above him and the floor underneath him.".

More info on SHC here:

en.wikipedia.org...

Also an interesting BBC article on the subject:

news.bbc.co.uk...

I'm certain SHC occurs, albeit rarely. But exactly what it is I don't have a clue. I remember accounts of it scaring me as a kid though .....

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Seeing as how many SHC cases have been linked to alcoholism, I'm astonished that this is the first case out of Ireland.

I'm also Irish, so I'm allowed to stereotype.

ERIN GO BRAGH!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
News like this kinda creeps me out.. Makes me wonder if i'm someday gonna be a human torch, if it's random..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I couldnt think of a worse way go. Sat watching tv then boom your on fire running around trying to put yourself out not nice

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
A long time ago (maybe 10 years) I remember watching a show about SHC. I particularly remember a story about a guys arm bursting into flames from the inside. I really hope one day (hopefully in my lifetime) they find out what causes this. It's so darn crazy.

I'll go ahead and chalk it up to global warming for now though.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I don't see why it's not possible. There are chemicals that are harmless but once mixed together create fire that is very hot. The human brain/body is full of thousands of chemicals. All it would take is some trigger to mix the wrong two and Poof. I think.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Suddenly the song from Queen - Don't stop me now! comes into mind after reading the topic and imagining burning up like a torch running around.. I know, it's a twisted humor..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I don't see why it's not possible. There are chemicals that are harmless but once mixed together create fire that is very hot. The human brain/body is full of thousands of chemicals. All it would take is some trigger to mix the wrong two and Poof. I think.

Crazy! I wonder if there has ever been a case of spontaneous human explosion. I can see the headlines now..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
It does seem that most SHC victims (that I recall, anyway) have been in ill health for one reason or another.

One of the intriguing mysteries is the way that surrounding items rarely catch fire. Try setting a small table alight in a typical room, for example, and see what happens - chances are the whole house will go up. It's as if human combustion is both very rapid and quickly extinguishes itself once whatever caused it has burnt out - thus reducing the risk of anything else catching alight.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Try setting a small table alight in a typical room, for example, and see what happens

Someone WILL try this.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

He said Professor Bernard Knight, in his book on forensic pathology, had written about spontaneous combustion and noted that such reported cases were almost always near an open fireplace or chimney.

Meh, sounds like a spark from the fire got him initially. But Old Corp might be onto something with increased blood alcohol levels aggravating something.
I don't know many pensioners who don't like a drink in their old age, especially a nip of spirits.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Isn't it a safer test to compare the surrounding materials with the human body.. At what tempature degree will the human skin set fire? and what tempature degree will a table or something set fire?

Might explain why the surroundings are mostly left untouched by fire?
edit on 23-9-2011 by Elexio because: additional line..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CN1018
Crazy! I wonder if there has ever been a case of spontaneous human explosion. I can see the headlines now..

Ask and you shall receive.... Enjoy!

IRM

edit on 23/9/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This guy was probably "Red Hot" and never lost it!

RIP

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
does beer burn?

i don't believe the wick effect either.

something is going on and it's not human!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Well I have studied this a long time and I know why it happens .
So ill post this reply take it or leave it but chances are this has to be the answer.
What is the most common molecule in the human Body?? Well any 5 grade science student knows the answer is water .
And what is water why it two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. So now that we have a fuel and a way of feeding the fuel all we need to do is separate them . Ok so how can this happen ? well another thing that the human body has taht it CAN NOT work without is electricity .Yes that's right electric what else goes through your nerves system if not that .A good enough volt meter will show you this as well.NOw what happens when you add electric to water?? Electrolysis the splinting of the h from the o now that its separate all you need is a spark and wala fire .A very hot fire that will keep burning until all the fuel is going .
So I conjecture that eating the wrong things in the wrong combination and the environment being in the wrong frame .(as this is very rare . Always the water in the body to start separating once started will continue until the body runs out of fuel leave very little left wile showing a intense fire of short duration hitting 3k F in a confined area.
Ps if you can name another fuel the body has then have at it. .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join