It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Village missing after landslide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
A landslide killed at least 15 people this morning in Taiwan. The landslide came after a typhoon hit the island. Several people are missing.
The situation is still unclear.

www.taipeitimes.com
A landslide triggered by Typhoon Aere buried a mountain village in northern Taiwan yesterday, with the fate of at least 20 residents unknown, the government's disaster relief center said.

Witnesses who escaped the landslide in Wufeng village in the northern county of Hsinchu told local authorities they saw about 24 homes being buried.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This island has a history of being hit hard by natural disasters. Over and over again, hurricanes and earthquakes keep striking these people.

[edit on 2004/8/25 by Hellmutt]

[edit on 8-26-2004 by Valhall]

SMR

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Village missing after landslide

I know this is not a laughing matter,I just chuckled a bit seeing that headline.
This is indeed bad when a whole town gets wiped out and people end up dead and/or missing.
Nature can be very unrelenting sometimes.

250,000 Chinese flee typhoon
TAIPEI, Taiwan -- China has begun evacuating almost 250,000 people from coastal areas as it braces for the onslaught of Typhoon Aere.
The storm system -- packing winds of 140 kph (86 mph) and gusts to 175 kph (108 mph) --
Due to the storm, more than 337,000 homes in northern Taiwan suffered power losses on at least one occasion.

Thats horrible

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I found an article on BBC about the typhoon which is now heading for China. They are not mensioning this village yet, but I guess they will update...

Typhoon Aere turns on south China

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This is very sad I knew that two typhoons were in the area but it is a tragedy that so many don't have homes and it is so much poverty in the area.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This is something that is going to happen more and more frequently due to global warming! We have had several mudslides in the UK over the last few weeks and a flood which wiped out most of a village.

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This is not a strange event. It occurs in all Nations. I wonder if our own natural disasters garner such attention globably?

SMR

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Mother nature can be a beast.
Our coast for example is just getting eaten away day by day.It is interesting to see images from say 5 years ago and then of now.Large off shore swells creating larger than normal waves and they just chew at the coast line.Soon,the homes that are there are going to either fall or have to be taken down in a few years.
thankfully here in the west coast,we dont have to really worry about these typhoons and hurricans.
Such a great loss by mother nature.But you have to wonder just how much is caused by us making mother nature mutate so to speak.

Two Storms Ravage Asia
Voice of America - 2 hours ago
One of the year's biggest tropical storms is headed for southern Japan as another one dies out in eastern China. High waves from Typhoon Chaba already have drowned two people as the storm approaches Japan's southern island of Kyushu.
STORY

new topics

top topics

join