It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs some motivation today?!?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Hey everyone, I watch this video before, during and after my workouts and it helps me to push myself to the max. I thought I'd share it along with a circumstance which the video prompts me to think about when I watch it. Maybe you guys could share something as well after watching it?

Bodybuilding is now my life but I got into it for all the wrong reasons. I wanted to show off, be the defining presence in any room I walked into, all of that ego driven stuff. One night a long time ago I was at the gym and I was bench pressing some dumbbells. At this point I was still pretty weak and also fairly small but I was dedicated to my cockiness so I struggled on. While I was throwing my dumbbells up this guy walked into the weight room and pulled up a bench right next to me. I had seen him many times before and he was your typical douchebag. Now, while I was cocky for sure I did not show off, because I knew I simply didn't have anything to show off. This guy however, took pleasure in strutting his muscle around the place. So he pulls a bench up beside me (I'm talking right next to me) picks up some heavy dumbbells and starts acting like he's competing with me. I was pretty angry because he was being an a-hole and also because he endangered both of us by being so close. I stormed out of the gym that night and never returned. I saved, bought my own equipment, and worked out at home waiting for the day where I would be bigger and stronger than him so that I could embarrass him the way he embarrassed me. The day came when I finally did get bigger than him but I did not return to the gym. I made the realization that he was only a reflection of what I would have inevitably become had I stayed on my course back then. I had found in working out by myself that I did not need the approval of others and I refined my self-worth.

I relate my experience to the part of the video where the speaker says "you won't be successful until I don't have to give you a dime to do what you do." Instead of money, in the case of the video, I sought attention and popularity. I found eventually after so much hard work that I had developed a passion for what I did, which was much more valuable than a fleeting ego booster.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Sentience365 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing the story and the video. I really enjoyed it.

And holy cow, you must be massive if you are attracting the attention of the next more massive dude at the gym.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

When that incident happened I was pretty small/average sized (160lbs or around there). I think he was more attracted to picking on me because people like him don't like potential or future competition. He was just trying to make me look weak.

new topics

join