It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain imaging reveals the movies in our mind

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
its like pressing the record button on the pineal gland :O
it is scary but fascinating at the same time.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
Scientists Using functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) and computational models at UC Berkeley have succeeded in decoding and reconstructing people's dynamic visual experiences. Put simply they have created a technique to read minds, translating a persons thoughts onto a computer screen. The technology is in its infancy, but its not too hard to imagine the profound implications and ethical questions it poses if they can perfect the process. It has many practical applications.

Eventually, practical applications of the technology could include a better understanding of what goes on in the minds of people who cannot communicate verbally, such as stroke victims, coma patients and people with neurodegenerative diseases. It may also lay the groundwork for brain-machine interface so that people with cerebral palsy or paralysis, for example, can guide computers with their minds

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

This set of paired images provided by Shinji Nishimoto of the University of California, Berkeley on Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2011 shows original video images, upper row, and those images reconstructed by computer from brain scans. While volunteers watched movie clips, a scanner watched their brains. And from their brain activity, a computer made rough reconstructions of what they viewed. Scientists reported that result Thursday, Sept. 22, 2011 and speculated such an approach might be able to reveal dreams and hallucinations someday. In the future, it might help stroke victims or others who have no other way to communicate, said Jack Gallant, a neuroscientist at the University of California, Berkeley, and co-author of the paper. (University of California, Berkeley, Shinji Nishimoto)

While this technology has great potential to offer a lot of people with various disabilities a new lease of life, it also has the potential to be used in some very frightening and sinister applications. Full article here:medicalxpress.com...
edit on 23-9-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

Now I'll be able to keep my wife happy!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I read the article and science linked in Gizmodo. Amazing and still hard to believe.

So OK, take this out 500 years from now. Watching prophetic dreams to know what happens next. People astral projecting and exploring other worlds. I could go on, but you get the "picture".

ZG

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

since thanks for sharing some of the most awesome news ever. all too often i feel the brain trusts don't know as much as their egos wish they did. this proves me wrong.

i understand some may feel threatened by what could become in the future. and based on mankind's past they're right. most anything that can be twisted and used for destructive, oppressive and evil applications is taken that route by morally bankrupt world leaders to further their sick and twisted agendas. i hate knowing that and i hate writing that.

as i read of this breakthrough i felt good thinking of all those it may benefit. how sweet it would be if there was no opposite of good, or peace, or love, or freedom.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This kind of thing will only serve one purpose and one purpose only, to prove you guilty of crimes you have committed or even worse, crimes you may commit based on current thought patterns your having.

I seen a show a few years back that was talking about how the FBI was already working on something like this and should have it in their possession before the next decade. Once the FBI gets it and perfects it, all the local police departments will to.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's the first step to making the tech depicted in the movie "Brainstorm" a reality:

(Natalie Wood's last movie before she died.)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
HOLY CRAP! I wonder how long before they learn how to implant false memories or extract them !!!!

& has anybody else considered how much further we have to go until we understand the soul! Just think,,, we have taught a computer how to decode neuronal frequencies & record accurate images from a brain scan yet we aren't even teachings ourselves how to interpret each others emotions properly yet! this is how backward we have become as a species

edit on 24/9/2011 by EmeraldGreen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

i call horse#. but then again, i could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
This is quite an impressive step. I've used the limitations of fMRI as a point in my debate with TuningSpork about dream manipulation. At the time, they had only managed to view simple black and white shapes, which was amazing in its own right- I would have severely doubted that you'd be able to see the actual image in a brain scan- I would have expected signals that had to be interpreted. Here is the older link that TuningSpork provided (its got an image of letters appearing on the mri)..

The remaining limitation is temporal resolution and time delay. fMRI measures active portions of the brain by bloodflow. Bloodflow reacts to brain activity- so you see the effects of visualizing or viewing after it has happened, and you don't get a fluid moving picture, but a series of stills separated by seconds.

Of course for the foreseeable future they will probably need us to stand still and not have any metal or electronic devices on our person while they are reading our brains, so I wouldn't get scared just yet. I suppose if they were to profile you for thought crimes based on your temperment they could then claim the right to arrest you and mandate an MRI like a polygraph, but that's a long way down the rabbit hole still.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
whoa, thats frighteningly orwellian, thought police anyone?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The potential abuse for this kind of technology is quite astonishing. It's like a psychological exam where you stare at blobs and tell them the first thing that comes to mind. Only now you can't lie.

You're never going to get a perfect picture, the mind just doesn't think that way. Instead you'll see representations that for you describe the scene. Say for instance, that you're talking with a nice old couple, in your mind, you won't see that old couple, instead you'll see a fuzzy outline and maybe the face of you're friends since they remind you of them. Maybe the old man is wearing a sweater that reminds you of a Christmas party you had when you were a child, so you might see a few presents in the scene, or perhaps he'll be wearing a Santa Claus suit.

In your mind, emotion, images, sounds, touch, and smells are all connected and interchangeable. If this technology is used the wrong way, it literally allows you to see, and most importantly, control how the target reacts to external stimuli. Instead of trying to break your targets will and try to build them up, you can simple change how they think.

Like for instance if red represents love in your mind, they may shock you every time you see the color red. Or perhaps every time you see the color red they'll show you a picture of the American flag, or the President, etc.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmeraldGreen
..I wonder how long before they learn how to implant false memories or extract them..

I suppose it is like extracting memories, but in real time... theoretically this is only one step away from finding out how such real time brain activity is stored and recalled by our unique memories....
fascinating & very scary. I read in a book about the brain that memory is one of the most mysterious subjects of neuroscience. perhaps this breakthrough will shed more light on the complex process of memory.. very very scary to think about the implications though.//

edit on 24/9/2011 by EmeraldGreen because: "unique" added

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRamblinRose
whoa, thats frighteningly orwellian, thought police anyone?

besides the Minority Report movie

another came to mind was !

a Movie Called Fortress !
a Cheaply Cheesy Sci Fi Prison Escape Movie with Christopher Lambert at the Main character !

Fortress (1992) Part 2
Skip to 5:04 min Mark to see the Thought Police !

ohh yeah Cheap Trick Thought Police ! Dream Police !

Dream Police LYRICS

Seeing with the Patriot Act i can see this Happening !

but haven't the Government been doing since the early 70s !

as the Rumor is from a Old Military Base at the End of Long Island NY Camp Hero in Montauk

Nishimoto et al. 2011: Reconstruction

TPTB have developed a technology for reading minds.

edit on 24-9-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Here is the Blend

Nishimoto et al. 2011: Three Subjects

From the You Tuber
gallantlabucb

This video is organized as follows: the movie that each subject viewed while in the magnet is shown at upper left. Reconstructions for three subjects are shown in the three rows at bottom. All these reconstructions were obtained using only each subject's brain activity and a library of 18 million seconds of random YouTube video that did not include the movies used as stimuli. (In brief, the algorithm processes each of the 18 million clips through the brain model, and identifies the clips that would have produced brain activity as similar to the measured activity as possible. The clips used to fit the model, the clips used to test the model and the clips used to reconstruct the stimulus were entirely separate.) The reconstruction at far left is the Average High Posterior (AHP). The reconstruction in the second column is the Maximum a Posteriori (MAP). The other columns represent less likely reconstructions. The AHP is obtained by simply averaging over the 100 most likely movies in the reconstruction library. These reconstructions show that the process is very consistent, though the quality of the reconstructions does depend somewhat on the quality of brain activity data recorded from each subject. You can find more information about this work at our laboratory web site: gallantlab.org...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
one negative to this is that with the ability to read thoughts and present them as moving images, is the ability with further research to implant specific types of thoughts into someone's head, a moving image that is the representation of something harmful or deadly such as murder.

If you find out what the most common images to be derived from human brain activity in the expression of showing a test subject death, you could also find away to make them believe that it is okay to kill.

This could be used for a number of reasons.

• Military purposes
• Population Control Purposes

one other negative use that is on my thought process as of the time being, is the ability to numb someone's reactions to certain things by implanting images into some ones head so that they become comfortable under different circumstances.

e.g to suppress ones ability to feel pain - •military Purpose
to suppress ones ability to feel empathy - •TPTB Purpose
Suppress ones ability to want to understand - •TPTB Purpose

All of this is easily accomplishable through research.

I assume the thought imaging is presented by measuring the different waves of brain activity to activate some form of binary system linked to colors and shapes, so all you would have to do is to connect the dots and give someone the imagery of something they have never seen before and then test to see whether they could remember something.

A further test to this (which i wish i could put my name on, but im sure they are already doing it) is to gain the imagery of someone putting a gun together, show it to a test subject without them knowing what it is, shows this to them at-least 4 or 5 times. and then put the same gun infront of him, test to see whether he could put the gun back together when they have never done it before just using the imagery.

I would call this Zionsight - because its got my name it......haha that would be amazing.

Peace

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
actually wait up this "zionsight" thingymabob could actually work because wouldn't it be the same as making someone actually learn how to put a gun together. Because by allowing them to have this brain imagery about creating something is almost as though they had learnt it. so you show them this imagery which goes straight to there brain and then they could learn but i just found a speed bump..........ehkkkkk

wouldn't it be the same as watching a video of someone doing it......or would it be considered different because it affects the mind on a much more interactive level. or it does it just stick in the mind as a blur.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
That's not a bad analogy with the putting the gun together part, sure there are going to be bad purposes too. If they figured out a way to circumvent the not learning part every human could learn skills at an incredible rate, like what they do in the Matrix, theoretically it is possible.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Riddle me this, what sort of a man has bats on the brain?
this is bad news for batman.

I wonder if it would work with animals?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 1   >>

join