It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Evolution Scare You?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

How do I justify my belief in a Biblical creation.

The creation was done by God before there was man....as such it was done on God's time...which in a sense is no time...we think linear...but God exists in the spiritual realm and time does not exist there...

Therefore. all the accounts of creation prior to man...are in God's time or no time...which the Bible says..."a day unto the Lord is likened to a thousand years, and a thousand years is but a day." Which I suppose some use in a round about way to say that the Lord created the world in 6 days...thus 6 thousand years.

I disagree with that interpretation...I believe that what was meant was that a day of the Lord's is a very long time... and a "thousand years" was just an illustration...like saying a "gazillion dollars" is a lot of money.

As such, the creation account can parallel the scientific account. That being the case...the "evolution" and scientific account also corresponds with the order of the creation...

the big bang...then the solar system... then the planet...the earth and waters seperate...the moon forms....then we have life forms in the waters...then life on land...and then the formation of plants..then animals...and finally man...

Again... instead of contradicting each other...they really are a companion to each other...

Man didn't speak of dinosaurs because man didn't really know of dinosaurs...in Job, it was God that told Job of "behemoth"... a fierce animal that lived in the swamps and rivers, on the plains, and in the mountainous areas...that had legs of steel...and the earth shook...and sounded as thunder...and had a tail "like the cedars of lebannon"

If we consider the cedar trees of lebannon...they were prized for being tall and mighty and strong...used by King Solomon in engineering and building the Temple.... look at the tails of elephants and hippos...the common interpretation of "behemoth"... not mighty, not long and strong... really insignificant.

I suppose I could find a couple more reasons to justify my belief in Creation...but basically, I find that science and the Bible actually support each other.... that is why I accpet the ideas of Darwin and natural selection, even as a Christian... basically, the strongest survive and those traits are passed down through generations until they become predominant in that species.... I see nothing here to contradict the Bible.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Hold it right there!

Man roamed the earth at least 10,000 years before the Jesus nut or the myth arrived!

Get a life, seak out reality and free your deluded self from these crutch dependent shackles!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

That was a pretty damn good rant. Bravo !
edit on 24-9-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Rogue

free your deluded self from these crutch dependent shackles!

And believe what ? That the whole universe just farted itself into existence ? Give up something you claim to be a farce for something that is clearly a farce ?

That's stupid.
edit on 24-9-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RoguePhilosopher

You are right, man did roam earth 10,000 years before Jesus...I didn't say man didn't... and the Bible doesn't say that either.... so, are you agreeing with the Bible?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thank you... I am honored as I am an admirer of your posts. Keep up the good work.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

i'm more bored by the theory than scared of it.

if its possible to evolve, that is "to unfold", you must first have had to be "folded in". and besides, to evolve, there must be all the laws pertaining to that process already in existence. otherwise its chaotic. and if they are already in existence then you are not really evolving so much as displaying different pages of the same book. bare in mind that space and time are all mental phenomena.

as for the 7 day instant creation thingy, i think thats some sort of attempt to explain to finite minds the infinite. religion and other practices are benefitial if they lead to genuine spirituality. that is, some sort of non-dual oneness, where you love an apparent other as yourself.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RoguePhilosopher

"What do you think? Nut job."

How can I argue with scientific reasoning such as that....

Charles Darwin and science would surely be proud of your efforts at demonstrating the most obvious arguments for evolution, natural selection, and the demise of the weaker of the species.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What truly amazes me is the blind faith that is put solely in science by some people.
What might seem to be a proven theory today may turn out to be completely wrong tomorrow.

Take a moment and look around, look at the pictures we have of "deep space", look at our technology, look at everything the human race has accomplished in just the past century.

With all of this, we still have only barely scratch the surface.

Those pictures of "deep space" are really just our back yard. Our modern technology will be ancient in another century or so. What we have accomplished so far is multiplying yearly by leaps and bounds.

How can you possibly presume to have all of the answers when we truly have only begun to ask questions?
How can you rule out intelligent design when so many of the answers to the questions we have asked still elude us?

I am a Christian. My favorite channels on TV are Science and History. I love reading scitech news as well as the bible.
Evolution does not scare me because it is just another form of religion to some folks.
I believe adaptation would also account for all of the "evolutionary evidence" found to date.

I just can not make the leap from pond scum to modern humanity.

Quad

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I am much more scared of a psychopathic god from Old testament or Quran actually existing than of evolution. Being scared of evolution makes as much sense as being scared of gravity. It is not "evil", it is just a biological phenomenon.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx

Also, in advance, for those who are going to respond with, "show me what PROOF you have for evolution!1!1"
I am not trying to prove anything. I am trying to find the logic behind why one would choose to believe in something that has far less evidence to support it than the one which logically seems to make sense based on the evidence we have found for it so far.

Because it is so wonderfully SIMPLE to say "hey, its created by God, because it says so in the bible.".
Thats a nice example for a circular reasoning and not a forceful argument.
Whenever someone tries to look behind the curtains of an incident like "what the $%$ is this loud sound coming from the sky and why does it always happen when a lightning strikes? Is it really Zeus' fury?" - there we go into unchartered territories. And exploring is hard work.

Compared to "its written therefore everything is explained" - well, the second way is much easier. Although less rational.

Evolution is a theory bassed on assumed interpretations of data. I assume evolution to be true so I assume the data points to evolution. Therefore evolution is a fact. Hmmm same circular reasoning so it must not be a forceful argument.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

evolution does not make sense. Primates get stimulated/decide to become intelligent life.. canines felines and other species do not take the next step in their evolution...

If man is a better upgrade from primates why do they still exist and why do the links in between not exist?

Considering nature is harsh on man and man is harsh on nature.....why would a species evolve into a form that leads to its own destruction.

what stimulus lead to the evolution of man.. we don't fit into nature at all we just kill it and destroy it.. IF becoming intelligent is the next step of survival for primates then other species need to catch up or go the way of the dodo.

it just makes no sense.

also living organisms are more complicated than a flat screen tv but yet i am expected to believe that a chain coincidences brought life about. Heck when I design at work i put a lot of work into even the most simple of projects.. but i am expected to believe man just happened.

I just don't buy it. I create stuff... I would face palm if my ipod looked at me and said it evolved independently from a transistor radio .

edit on 24-9-2011 by yaluk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yaluk

evolution does not make sense.

I think it's your understanding of evolution that doesn't make sense.

Primates get stimulated/decide to become intelligent life...

They didn't decide. Evolution isn't directed by choice, evolution is directed by natural and sexual selection.

canines felines and other species do not take the next step in their evolution...

Except for the fact that we observe species evolving. And there is no "next step" -- there isn't some pre-determined endpoint for evolution. It's response to environmental stilmuli.

If man is a better upgrade from primates why do they still exist and why do the links in between not exist?

All you've done here is reword the old creationist chestnut of "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?" Google it, find an answer that comes from a non-creationist website, and try to grasp that evolution isn't a linear chain of progression.

Considering nature is harsh on man and man is harsh on nature... ..why would a species evolve into a form that leads to its own destruction.

what stimulus lead to the evolution of man.. we don't fit into nature at all we just kill it and destroy it.. IF becoming intelligent is the next step of survival for primates then other species need to catch up or go the way of the dodo.

it just makes no sense.

You mean like every other invasive species found in nature?

also living organisms are more complicated than a flat screen tv but yet i am expected to believe that a chain coincidences brought life about. Heck when I design at work i put a lot of work into even the most simple of projects.. but i am expected to believe man just happened.

Evolution has nothing to do with the origin of life.

I just don't buy it. I create stuff... I would face palm if my ipod looked at me and said it evolved independently from a transistor radio .

Because we've observed iPods and transistor radios being designed. Have you observed an organism being designed?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Reply to post by xxblackoctoberxx

not at all

what scares me, is some species seem to defy the laws of evolution.
they regress instead.

namedly homo sapiens

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Why do creationists not understand that the reason there are still apes around is because we share a common ancestor. We didn't evolve directly from the monkeys that are around nowadays. If that is how it was humans would be the only species and there shouldn't be anything else. Its the branching of these trees that lead us to have different species.

Just another example of fractals in nature.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join