It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Human Brain Works Proves UFOs do exist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Hi folks
Upon reading the article linked to below, I decided to make this thread (my first!!). I'll summarize it for you, and then you can see the short videos on their page, and then maybe the rest of what I've written will make sense.

The experiment did the following. It recorded brain positions / activity for 18,000 seconds of random youtube video in the subjects' brains. It then showed them a normal video, e.g. bird flying, man talking, whatever. Immediately, various parts of the brain lit up while watching the video. This video shown did not contain the images of the random 18000 seconds of video clips btw.

The scientists recorded which parts lit up when watching what in the regular video, and then later reconstructed from their position/activity records, the exact clips which were referenced by the subject's brain (coz those parts lit up).

What you will see is, that our brain is no different from a google image search. When we see something, we automatically pull up all the related images that look similar - probably to cross-reference and recognize that thing which we are looking at.

The 2nd video on their page is a perfect example of this. Now go watch the 2 videos and come back here.

sites.google.com...

Did you see it? OK. As you can see, our brain is straight away pulling up all images that are in any way remotely similiar in shape, size, color, essence, etc when faced with a video. It's probably furiously cross-referencing and eliminating all non-matches, which is how we know 'that is a banana not a dildo'.

SO WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH UFOs???
OK - so if our brains do this naturally, then UFOs are totally real and not made up imaginings of looneys.

When we (random humans on the planet Earth) see something in the sky, our brain automatically pulls up the last 140000 images we have recorded of things flying in the sky. By cross-referencing and eliminating non-matches at a lightening speed, we know 'ok that's not a bird, it's a plane' or 'that's not a plane, it's one of our satellites used for various industries', or 'that's a meteor burning up in our atmosphere and not a giant matchstick'.

With me so far? THIS MEANS that when we are unable to cross-ref and come up with a NAME-able match for what we are looking at, it is most definitely an UFO. Anyone today in most parts of the world, can safely ID a helicopter (or similar), a commercial plane (or similar), a military jet (or similar), birds of different shapes/sizes, comets, stars, the moon, the sun, the neighbouring planets hanging in the night sky, and meteors that burn up (shooting stars).

Also birthday balloons, helium balloons, hot air weather balloons, and yes, even those ever-popular scapegoats, the chinese lanterns (which according to the "skeptics" are apparently so popular they are being sent up from all the cities of the world, mumbai, delhi, new york, tucson, madrid, austin, ....LOL i think not!!!!).

When we see something, that universally we are unable to recognize in its size, shape, color, floating patterns, glowiness, speed, or any other characteristic, that does not exist in our database, and hundreds of humans come up with the same 'wtf', then it means these flying objects 1) exist 2) remain unidentified as xyz

whaddya think??? i wrote this post much more interestingly in my head but forgot all the words when posting

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rainychica

No, it just means that our brains recognize the concept ‘UFO’. Which is hardly surprising after sixty years of media-fuelled mass hysteria.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by rainychica
Anyone today in most parts of the world, can safely ID a helicopter (or similar), a commercial plane (or similar), a military jet (or similar), birds of different shapes/sizes, comets, stars, the moon, the sun, the neighbouring planets hanging in the night sky, and meteors that burn up (shooting stars).
Also birthday balloons, helium balloons, hot air weather balloons, and yes, even those ever-popular scapegoats, the chinese lanterns

My experience is that most people CANNOT safely identify a lot of things on that list.
We get a lot of threads on here every month about "whats that bright orb in the sky", and a lot of people answering incorrectly. Also a lot of people posting youtube videos of UFO's which are plainly aircraft for everyone else. And I also see that very few people seem to be able to tell a satellite from a comet despite them both being quite different.

But otherwise, a VERY interesting brain experiment.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I am sorry but I did not find any "proof" in this thread.

2nd

EDIT - Gave you a flag and a star anyways, cause its a good post. Bad title however.
edit on 23-9-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I think it's an interesting concept but. . . Don't quite think that's how it works. As stated above I also believe we already have it engrained in us that we associate indistinguishable objects with ufos because of history. I can't discredit the thought though as mine is one also.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Well working off your theory if you see something you dont reconize after you cross reference it wouldnt that mean that you just never have seen it? It could still be completely human in origin. Then you would have to take into account we do not have perfect eyesight and then as stated above how two people can see the same object and identify it as two different things.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

[...]
By cross-referencing and eliminating non-matches at a lightening speed, we know 'ok that's not a bird, it's a plane' or 'that's not a plane, it's one of our satellites used for various industries', or 'that's a meteor burning up in our atmosphere and not a giant matchstick'.
[...]
THIS MEANS that when we are unable to cross-ref and come up with a NAME-able match for what we are looking at, it is most definitely an UFO.
[...]
When we see something, that universally we are unable to recognize in its size, shape, color, floating patterns, glowiness, speed, or any other characteristic, that does not exist in our database, and hundreds of humans come up with the same 'wtf', then it means these flying objects 1) exist 2) remain unidentified as xyz

This only proves how our Brain processes what we are looking at ...and that it sometimes fails to recognize.
So when we can't identify what we are looking at it remains unidentified for us, yes.
We just DON'T KNOW what it really is and it could still very well be a helicopter, a balloon or a lantern.
Humans visual perception is really poor and we are certainly not able to "safely ID" what we are looking at.

edit on 23-9-2011 by ColCurious because: typo

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Go to 8 seconds in the second video in the link the op posted. in the reconstructed movies tab marked S2, why is there an eye imposed in the image if none of the example images or main footage match? Creepy. Just an observation.
Peace.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Anyone today in most parts of the world, can safely ID a helicopter (or similar), a commercial plane (or similar),

My experience is that most people CANNOT safely identify a lot of things on that list.
Agreed, that is obvious when people see an object hovering in the sky and then conclude it can't be a plane because planes don't hover. While it's true that planes don't hover, they can appear to do so when viewed from certain angles.

Most people won't immediately recognize this plane as a plane:

CAUTION: to all UFO videographers

Another way to say it is, there are many ways to interpret a sighting incorrectly, and only one way to interpret it correctly, so just from those odds an incorrect interpretation is quite likely, and more likely with some observers than others.

In fact Neil Tyson quipped that the human brain doesn't work so well, and that "optical illusions" should really be called "brain failures" to show how easy it is for us to not interpret things correctly with something as simple as a clever drawing.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Thanks for all the different views folks, and the S/Fs too

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Well working off your theory if you see something you dont reconize after you cross reference it wouldnt that mean that you just never have seen it? It could still be completely human in origin.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

However, for those 1-2 posters who keep saying 'this is not proof of aliens' please note that nowhere in my post have I mentioned or implied an alien connection to the UFOs. UFOs are just Unidentified flying-objects *just sayin'*

I concede that I may have been over optimistic about people's objectivity when judging any flying object...hmm...anyway good experiment eh!
edit on 23-9-2011 by rainychica because: added the quote, now i'm off to dinner

edit on 23-9-2011 by rainychica because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I have never seen one single UFO or flying saucer or anything similar in all of the movies and tv-shows I have watched throughout my life. That is how I know the OP is on to something here!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

But... but... isn’t that a U-2?

You don’t get to see one of those often.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

ha thanks : ) appreciate it

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I just want to make sure I am following you. So you are suggesting that our brain has the capability to identify objects, so when we see an Object that is Flying and it is Unidentifiable to us, that object is an Unidentified Flying Object?

All who agree say aye. Aye! All opposed? (crickets) I'm pretty sure we can all agree with that. The jump you make (feel free to correct me) is that Unidentifiable means E.T. and that is of course highly speculative and completely farcical.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

All who agree say aye. Aye! All opposed? (crickets) I'm pretty sure we can all agree with that. The jump you make (feel free to correct me) is that Unidentifiable means E.T. and that is of course highly speculative and completely farcical.

OK sorry to yell but WHERE & WHEN did I say unidentifiable means E.T.?? Tell me Where?? Where??? Where???? Where did I say this....????? Wheeeerrrrreeeee????

You are like the 10th person to accuse me of this idiot-connection, do you even read the messages you comment upon?? I even wrote a comment in this thread in MULTICOLOR saying 'there is NOOOOooooo E.T connection made by me in the OP....

A UFO could also be a human made object that nobody has heard of or seen on TV or read about in the school books....and THUS remains unidentifiable by us....................................................

omg. please read the frickin posts. I hope you don't mind I did feel free to Totally correct you.

new topics

top topics

join