It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 Valid Arguments that God Exists

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I found this article that presents 20 different arguments in favor of God's existence. I know there are other arguments out there that God does not exist. But as it is my intention to convince non-believers that God does exist, I thought I would post these valid arguments in the hope that they may create some "food for thought" among those of us who need more than just faith to recognize that God lives.

Featured Audio Books About FAQs Twenty Arguments For The Existence Of God More Featured Writing The Argument from Change The Argument from Efficient Causality The Argument from Time and Contingency The Argument from Degrees of Perfection The Design Argument The Kalam Argument The Argument from Contingency The Argument from the World as an Interacting Whole The Argument from Miracles The Argument from Consciousness The Argument from Truth The Argument from the Origin of the Idea of God The Ontological Argument The Moral Argument The Argument from Conscience The Argument from Desire The Argument from Aesthetic Experience The Argument from Religious Experience The Common Consent Argument Pascal's Wager

I have always been impressed with the level of intelligence displayed here on ATS, from believers and non-believers alike. And, I can sense that both groups firmly believe that their stance is correct. As I am not at the intellectual level that many of you are, I thought I would post these arguments so as to present my feelings about the subject. I wish I was better at original thought, as many of you are, but I feel frustrated sometimes that I'm not better able to present my case. I believe we are on the earth during a time when faith in God is of the utmost importance. Please understand that my intentions are pure.

www.peterkreeft.com...

Peace and Love

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I haven't looked at all of these arguments but I would like to share an argument someone had and why it bothered me. The argument was that having the very idea of God or a god in itself was probably proof that God or a god exists. Well, the same could be said for leprechauns, unicorns, and yeti's.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MitchL61
I found this article that presents 20 different arguments

In my internet experience, these types of threads dont end up being useful because nobody can handle discussion on 20 different topics at the same time. Lots will be missed and ignored, people will get upset that some arguments are being "deliberately" ignored and still nobody will have time to give any of them full discussion.

Instead, I suggest if you really want to give this list proper attention, post ONE per week.
And also post your own thoughts on each argument, which you havnt done here. Here, you've just said "go look at this web page".

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
I haven't looked at all of these arguments but I would like to share an argument someone had and why it bothered me. The argument was that having the very idea of God or a god in itself was probably proof that God or a god exists. Well, the same could be said for leprechauns, unicorns, and yeti's.

Mythical creatures are combinations of known creatures. God is more of an all encompassing thing or idea... at least how I understand it.

I believe in infinity, and within the vastness of infinity everything is possible including "God exists" and "God doesn't exist". It's a matter of perspective.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MitchL61

I started a reply to analyze each"valid" argument until I realized that the author is banking on the reader not catching on to his gross generalizations and circular arguments. Regardless of religious views, somantics will never be sufficient to prove the existence of anything, let alone the presence or absence of a deity.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Instead, I suggest if you really want to give this list proper attention, post ONE per week. And also post your own thoughts on each argument, which you havnt done here. Here, you've just said "go look at this web page".
reply to post by alfa1

Your right. I should have elaborated more. The argument that I found most intriguing was Pascals Wager. He basically argues that if you wager that God does exist, and you live your life accordingly, then you will have gained eternal life. But if you wager that God does not exist, and He does, then you will be damned eternally. So, basically you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Instead, I suggest if you really want to give this list proper attention, post ONE per week. And also post your own thoughts on each argument, which you havnt done here. Here, you've just said "go look at this web page".
reply to post by alfa1

Your right. I should have elaborated more. The argument that I found most intriguing was Pascals Wager. He basically argues that if you wager that God does exist, and you live your life accordingly, then you will have gained eternal life. But if you wager that God does not exist, and He does, then you will be damned eternally. So, basically you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

ill discuss

that's an easy one.
why not then worship all god of every religion?
chances are not all gods exist so surly you'd be wasting your life.

in short, you DO have everything to lose. the only life you know you'll have.
edit on 23-9-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2011 by vjr1113 because: loose

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

And what if you spend your entire life worshiping the wrong god?"

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Then at least you tried choosing a God and have the possibility of eternal life. If you have not tried you've wasted that possibility.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Why do you feel the need to convince anyone other than yourself of your "beliefs "? It's just that, your beliefs...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Isn't it rather hypocritical to believe in a deity just to cover your bum?
I'm sorry but it seems silly to worship a deity so easily fooled.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I believe once someone makes a decision to serve God, they will begin to see that God does exist. "A wicked generation seeketh signs, and none shall be given" But as we serve God, we begin to receive greater light and knowledge that reconfirms our faith in Him. So many people want God to provide for them a sign that He exist, but I testify that everything, i.e. mountains, rivers, trees, flowers, animals, planets, stars, all witness that there is a God, yet people still refuse to believe. So that is why I posted this thread. Here are 20 valid arguments that logically explain why there is a God, and yet people still do not believe. It is my hope that someday everyone will come to know of God. I have a religion that I believe strongly in. I have purposely not mentioned it because I believe that in order for anyone to accept religion into their life, they must first have faith that there is a God.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by trollslayer

Exactly. For most their religion is nothing more than an insurance policy. Little to do with faith and much to do with what if. Just incase.
edit on 23-9-2011 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
My favorite view on religion from the Roman philosopher Seneca:

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.”

My second favorite from a lesser known philosopher, Dave Barry:

“The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes.”

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Why do you feel the need to convince anyone other than yourself of your "beliefs "? It's just that, your beliefs...
reply to post by imawlinn

Because of what is at stake. As one of God's servants, I feel obligated to share the knowledge that He has given me with others. I believe I will be held accountable for my works. "To whom much is given, much is required"

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
One cannot ponder on whether 'God' exists or not until one has clearly defined what you are defining/meaning by 'God' - then you can begin.

All of the arguments in the OP are meaningless unless a concept or definition is established.

In fact you could find several people agreeing with some of those arguments who have an entirely different concept from one another of what it is that's being defined.

What do you mean by God?

A hairy guy in the sky? Someone omnipotent? Someone bound by the principles of physics but who understands and utilises them all?

Maybe 'What would a God have to possess by way of attributes which would define him/her/it as a God?' would be a better place to start - because then if he/she/it doesn't have them - by your own definition they can't be God.

Do you start with the known Universe and our accumulated knowledge as a means of 'tracing/identifying him/her/it? (Remembering of course that our knowledge is most likely pitifully inadequate )

Oz

edit on 23-9-2011 by Ozscot because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

nature is just nature, there is no need to make it supernatural. sounds like an abrahamic religion to me.
well im not gonna waste my time browsing the same old arguments deists have been making for millenniums, so if you want to give it another shot, by all means.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

reply to post by imawlinn

Because of what is at stake. As one of God's servants, I feel obligated to share the knowledge that He has given me with others. I believe I will be held accountable for my works. "To whom much is given, much is required"

nothing is at stake. you seriously think you're more special than any one else? if god wanted every one saved then he could just do it. quit buying into sin. and quit this need of yours to be someone's slave. get of your knees

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000

Originally posted by Pauligirl

Then at least you tried choosing a God and have the possibility of eternal life. If you have not tried you've wasted that possibility.

But I wouldn't mean it so what would be the point? The whole god(s)/religion thing is just weird to me. If it works for you, that's lovely.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join