It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euthanasia, The right to die.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

Originally posted by LadyV
I am an extreme animal lover. I like animals better than I like most people, I make my living working with animals......and, we treat our animals with more dignity and respect than our fellows humans. I for one do not want to lay in some bed being cleaned up and cared for while suffer to death.....it's inhuman treatment. Should anyone be allowed to commit suicide? NO! It's a permanent solution to temporary problems...but when you are old and suffering, or suffering from an incurable disease, you should have the right to die

What are you doing telling me if i can kill myself, or telling me how lasting my problems are!

In japan its considered a priviledge to be allowed to kill your self. Oh and i bet they have temporary problems too?
Some advice: get off this western/christian bad trip about death! Only because the church used it as a means of "persuasion" (terror), do we have this big bad bogey grim reaper. In other cultures they have no problem with it, some believing you come back (reincarnation)

LOL...your funny! You certainly haven't read many of my post have you, me!!!!! On a western/Christian bad trip about death

I assumed, wrongly, which is obvious by "your" interpretation of my post above, that sense most people on this board are indeed of at least a normal intelligence level, most above....that they would see that sense I said "permanent" solution to temporary problems....they would understand that I was in reference to younger people or troubled souls......
You cracked me up...Me...on any type of Christian trip is laughable....check out my site sporty!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
i have to agree with LadyV. i believe suicide is much different than euthanasia....only from personal experience. most people commit suicide because they are overstressed or mentally ill and don't have anyone to help or don't know where to go for help. however, why should someone who is terminally ill, and in so much pain that the morphine doesn't even help not be allowed to choose death? there are so many people who lay up in medical facilities for years(yes years....i cared for a brain dead woman(92 years old) who survived 10 years on a ventilator and a feeding tube), who don't have the ability to end it. i don't want to suffer forever when i grow old or have a painful incurable illness. i think that often we are selfish and afraid to let our loved ones go. so we try to keep them alive by whatever means...and along that same line as pertaining to suicide we are often too selfish to realize that our loved one needs help. bottom line, there is a fine line between suicide and euthanasia and if made legal there would have to be some tough ground rules...but how hard is that?

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am a capitalist. Your life is YOUR possession. If I or anyone of-age and sound mind chooses to terminate their life it is their choice. Certain considerations might be in order, a 6 month cooling off period for people who are in a current state of depression.

The only people who disagree with this are arrogant little dictators who think that they, God and/or the state OWN you, like a slave, and/or think the state is smarter than you about your own individual life. [These are often fair weather capitalists, who talk out of both sides of their mouths on the subject].

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I, too, agree that euthansia is different than suicide...in my conception of the terms, suicide is a proactive event that occurs when death is not necessarily imminent. Euthanasia is when there is no hope for a cure, the patient is in terrible suffering and a prolongation of life, by artificial and extreme means, would only mean more suffering and a brief prolontation of life.
Having dealth with the Hospice program, with both my parents, I have found that, though they do not practice euthanasia as such, they do allow people to die with dignity. For example: My dad was taken off all pills except those that would make him feel better. This included his heart meds etc. His prognosis was for 10 days of life. Why prolong the suffering. He gladly went off of the heart meds and only accepted those meds that made him comforatable. My mom, died a horrrible death of cancer. She refused chemo because it would not cure her. She lived her life ...up to the last week, as normally as possible. When the pain became unbearable, she was given morphine. Perhaps, with her weakened system, the morphine may have hastened her death. We will neve know and I don't care. She died a peaceful death, at home, surrounded by friends and family.
There is always a fine line between enough drugs to ease intractable pain from a terminal disease, and a drug overdose. I have no problem with this.
For purely religious reasons, and they are my own private reasons that no one must subscribe to but me, I don't believe in active suicide. For me, it's a karma thing. But, I don't think suicides are condemned to hell or any such nonsense. Most people who commit suicide are at the ends of their ropes and their mental capacity for making such a decision is questionable.
What I can't bear is to see someone, clearly terminal, being given unnecessary, useless, painful treatments in hopes of prolonging life a week or two...a week or two of hell.
Doctors are so afraid to confront death. Have you ever noticed that, when death is near, that doctors become scarce. I g uess it's their coping mechanism, but death is part of living and we should accept it as such.
I've said too much on this subject already. I aplogize. I , as you can see, feel deeply about the subject.
joey

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I feel deeply about it too Joey. My Grandfather had incureable cancer, it was ravaging him. They could have fought it and what would the outcome have been? Maybe two weeks of living hell for him and the family. We were fortunate, we had an understanding doctor and a close friend was the RN that attended to him. He passed peacefully, with his family there. I am greatful to them both for not allowing him to just lay there and suffer. Morphine can be a wonderful thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
I think most of us can agree on the point that people who have a terminal disease should be able to decide at what point they want to end it, instead of suffering greatly before dieing.
There are however quite a few solid points that stand against it;

1. Drugs to reduce and even eliminate pain are getting better and better, up to what point will it be needed to end a life instead of stretching it by using these drugs?
[snip]

Jakko, havta disagree with you there.

Morphine/heroin are the strongest pain-relievers available. They do a good job, but have to be increased more & more to compensate for the patient's physical tolerance to them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join