It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists claim to break speed of light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Scientists claim to break speed of light

english.aljazeera.net

An international team of scientists say they have recorded neutrino particles traveling at faster than the speed of light.

A spokesman for the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) particle physics centre announced the news on Thursday, a finding that could overturn Albert Einstein's theory that nothing can go faster than the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s, or 1,080 million km/hr).

The measurements still must be confirmed, but if verified, would represent a serious challenge to one of the fundamental rules of physics.

"We have high confidence in our results. But we need
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.vivasoft.hu
news.gkrom.com
www.breakingnews.com

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I searched ATS to find it this was already published, and there was a very similar thread, but it wasn't directly connected with this experiment performed at CERN nor were the same scientists mentioned, and this was just tweeted within the hour. This basically said they recorded nuetrinos going FASTER than the speed of light. Einstein said NOTHING could travel faster than the speed of light, and this monumental achievement in particle physics and science period, means that the law of exponential gain has just reverted back to a "theory!"

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
related thread with an article I read that didn't seem to be the "same" article on the CERN scientists concerning nuetrino measurments is here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

But two German physicists claim to have forced light to overcome its own speed limit using the strange phenomenon of quantum tunnelling, in which particles summon up the energy to cross an apparently uncrossable barrier. Their experiments focused on the travel of microwave photons - energetic packets of light - through two prisms. When the prisms were moved apart, most photons reflected off the first prism they encountered and were picked up by a detector. But a few appeared to "tunnel" through a gap separating them as if the prisms were still held together. Although these photons had travelled a longer distance, they arrived at their detector at the same time as the reflected photons. This suggests that the transit between the two prisms was faster than the speed of light. Dr Gunter Nimtz, of the University of Koblenz, told the magazine New Scientist: "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."

No mention of neutrino recording or the involvement of CERN in this article, which coincidentally have the same article headline as the one just release by Al-Jazeera, so I posted this as a separate incident, coincidentally involving the same subject matter.

Interesting.
now, all we need is something that converts matter into neutrino states temporarily, then back to original matter state, or even a neutrino shield around matter for a craft, and voila...time traveling device?

How about a communications device using neutrinos as the carrier signal source? Phone the future to correct the past? It's an "enigma"

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

crap! I thought I went to the same article page, but it didn't mention cern! my bad.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

btw, Thank you

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
If you create time dilation as in a worm hole. Then the speed of light in the wormhole is automatically greater than c.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm with the folks that say the speed of light is actually variable and relative. Variable, as light can be bent by a gravity field. Since light experiences time dilation, it's also relative to the frame of reference of the location of the clock which is measuring it. And since there's no such thing as a universal clock, the speed of light at Alpha Centauri isn't going to be the same as here around Sol. (Yet if you set up the same experiment, you'd see the same values. This is because the clock you'd be measuring with would also be experiencing different gravity fields and the time dilation effect on it and the light would be the same. In other words your measuring stick and thing being measured grow and shrink at the same rate under the same influencing factor.)

Finding and validating a particle that is faster than the speed of light means it's not affected by gravity and/or time dilation in the same way. That's interesting in its own right.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I feel rather strongly that this claim will be corrected within the next few years. Why? Because the margin of error is so small (20 centimeters, 10 nanoseconds) and because neutrinos are still not well understood. I believe too much evidence shows that nothing exceeds the speed of light. It cannot all be discarded because of one claim by CERN. This issue is not settled yet.

There's a possibility it's a systematic error. That would explain their certainty to their claim.

If the claim is not corrected or proven to be faulty then I think that whatever comes out of this will not disprove Einstein, but rather add to his theories. In other words, I don't think that the law was broken in technical terms. For example, by twisting space/time we could travel faster than the speed of light, but we'd not actually be -moving- faster than the speed of light - I think it's be a gotcha moment when it's figured out and there'll be a big sigh of relief.

But just because it doesn't destroy Einstein doesn't mean its confirmation won't be a huge thing. If it's true and my understanding is right, doesn't this mean we can shoot particles through time?
edit on 23-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I agree with your sentiment. Einsteins work is nothing to scoff at. Even if it does turn out to be true, Einsteins work has acted as the foundation for Quantum Mechanics, String theory,M Theory and all of Steven Hawkings work.... If it does turn out to be true.... Do not disregard everything the man said.... His work,led to the theory of everything... and that theory, is proving to be true more and more.

Lets see what happens.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I'm with the folks that say " the more we know the more we dont know" ........what happens when our knowledge grows greater than the knowledge of our creators at the time of creation...is there a paradox for this?

top topics

join