It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this in Omega Centauri?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
And why is google sky showing it and not other programs like sky-map.org?

Most everyone is familiar with the Omega Centauri cluster, NGC 5139, I would assume. But this is something that I came across earlier today while I was poking around on google sky. I flipped over to sky-map and the same image is not showing or being shown in Omega Centauri. Does anyone have a clue as to what this is or could be and why it's possibly not showing up in sky-map? I haven't bothered to check it out anywhere else yet.

If someone else has posted this already somewhere else, I apologize sincerely.

I will attempt to get this pic to upload properly so you can see what I'm talking about. A yell for help from Gotham City has crossed my mind, lol.
Just kidding. But with Halloween approaching, you just never know whose joke this could be.

The coordinates to OC are approximately 13h 29m 7.0s -47 29 8.4 -- I went to Venus to have a look and wandered down on google sky to find this staring at me, lol.

The pic appears to not be working correctly for some reason but I'll figure it out sooner or later.
But here's a link to the pic that I uploaded anyway.

Omega Centauri anomaly

Shot at 2011-09-22

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
How many times must we tell you people..

GOOGLE SKY IS NOT A PROPER SOURCE OF EVIDENCE

Hell, Google is known to put stuff in here just to # with people!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SoLittleTimeToRead

As much as I would like to think it's a massive alien spacecraft that looks like a B-2 bomber which is obsuring the star cluster, I think it's just an anomaly caused by putting the image together.

I see it fairly often, they make composite images sometimes and the imaged part isn't a nice rectangular photo, but a tetris-shaped block type thing.

I could be wrong, but it's just a possibility.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I liked your idea... until I zoomed into the image and inverted the colors.. There is a difference in the colorization, which I can assume would be caused by light and or particles of whatever in space? You can see it just by looking closely as is. If it were an image portion missing, I assume it would be void of any digital pigment?

This is strange, I must say. Good find, can you find you when the image was taken?
edit on 22-9-2011 by EvanJP because: .

And I am not trying to discredit your thought, because I don't know anything as fact right now.
edit on 22-9-2011 by EvanJP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Wow, you guys are fast at replying, lol. I took this image this afternoon about 3 pm CST. I haven't even checked back to see if it's still showing up on g sky.

I know that g sky is not a good reference but I'm just trying to see if anyone has any clue as to what this is, doh!

Thanks for any more replies.

Originally posted by EvanJP
reply to post by TupacShakur

I liked your idea... until I zoomed into the image and inverted the colors.. There is a difference in the colorization, which I can assume would be caused by light and or particles of whatever in space? You can see it just by looking closely as is. If it were an image portion missing, I assume it would be void of any digital pigment?

This is strange, I must say. Good find, can you find you when the image was taken?
edit on 22-9-2011 by EvanJP because: .

And I am not trying to discredit your thought, because I don't know anything as fact right now.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Dude? Seriously?

Use the zoom bar on the left and you will see that it is just a clearer picture of that area. Space is big, its really really big. Astronomers dont have the time to focus in on every part of deep space. They just want clear pictures of what are called "area of interest".

Just like if you go on google earth, you will see that if you zoom into an "area of Interest" lets say...The Las Vegas strip. You will see that you can zoom in quite far and still have a clear picture. (you can almost read the licence plates on the cars) Then go over to the middle of the Pacific ocean and then see how far you can zoom in and still have a clear picture. I'll go ahead and tell you, not as far as you can when you looking at Las Vegas.

So the reason the shape in the middle looks werid is because whoever were the ones taking the pictures really didnt think the area outside Omega Centari was an "area of interest".

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Well, if this is true, why would the middle of Omega Centauri be blocked? Is that not THE area of interest? Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I can't get my worldwide telescope to work right now. Can anyone see if it OC looks like this in some other program besides g sky or sky-map just to see?

Thanks.

I'm just really curious about this. And I'm not saying it's anything ET or whatever, I just don't know.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Well, to make my point on the fact that if it were simply missing pieces, it would be lacking pigment

And, no, I can't find anything else showing this... So, I will keep looking!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

Ahhh, alas, you are correct. I see what you are talking about now, perhaps its that black hole that is said to sit in the center of it haha.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
yeah you cought a UFO the size of a star there. great catch... sarc./

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
That's a good pic. So apparently G got permission to use the Hubble pic to give us a bird's eye view on G sky. I dunno but thanks for finding that.

reply to post by EvanJP

To camaro: Haha! You got me!

edit on 22-9-2011 by SoLittleTimeToRead because: because because because....

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I call a hoax, for two reasons; The first obvious, the lighting is wrong, the image of the ship is front lit and because of the back lighting it should appear as a silhouette, there is no light diffusion in a vacuum. The second reason, if you go to imageshack and click on the picture, up jumps some bloody gambling site. Nuff said...

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Uh huh. Okay!! If you go to google.com/sky and type in omega centauri into the search field at the top, it will take you right to the area I'm talking about, much like how I described in the OP. The pic is not a fake. I did a print screen, copy and paste into my Paint program, saved it, and then uploaded it to imageshack, lol.

And I never said anything about it being a craft of any type, I simply said, "What is it?"

If anyone can tell me, I would appreciate it.

reply to post by bobs_uruncle

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoLittleTimeToRead
Uh huh. Okay!! If you go to google.com/sky and type in omega centauri into the search field at the top, it will take you right to the area I'm talking about, much like how I described in the OP. The pic is not a fake. I did a print screen, copy and paste into my Paint program, saved it, and then uploaded it to imageshack, lol.

And I never said anything about it being a craft of any type, I simply said, "What is it?"

If anyone can tell me, I would appreciate it.

reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I am just saying that to me it looks like a fake, an image placed on top of another image. Fairly well done I might add. I had my son (who does CGI, movie/game animation, graphics, etc) look at it and he concurs. Looks like a picture of one of those new US experimental space planes overlaid on the image of a cluster galaxy. As far as clicking on the image on imageshack, it did go to a gambling/poker site and the site deposited a cookie on my system which I promptly deleted.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Its because there appears to be a Hubble "Wide Field and Planetary Camera" image of the centre part of the globular cluster.

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but the images from the Wide Field and Planetary Camera are not circular, they are not square, they are in fact that unusual shape.

Here is the image in question...

And a higher resolution version of it at this link.

And for your own amusement, now go do a google image search for Hubble Wide Field and Planetary Camera to see more of them for yourself.

join