It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


Sunkist Road (Credit to /r/nosleep)

page: 1

log in


posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:16 PM
I'm not sure if this story is true or not but the people here on ATS are much more well versed in the Paranormal than reddit is so I would like to know what you guys think this story was about and what happened. All credit for the story goes to Jungleradio on reddit.

I consider myself a realistic, logical person. I don’t believe in ghosts, demons, hauntings, werewolves, vampires or monsters. I depend on good proof to convince me that something exists. However, I have experienced a few things that are extremely difficult to explain. This certain event happened during the summer after my senior year of high school. My childhood was spent growing up on eastern Long Island in New York, where much of the land was not yet developed or populated.

During my freshman and sophomore years of high school, I was mostly quiet. I had a small group of close-knit friends. We rarely went out to parties or even drank. However, the second half of my high school life was quite different. I was smoking pot, drinking at parties, being a bit of a class clown and finally speaking to girls like a normal person. So, when I graduated from high school, I was at an all-time emotional high. I knew the summer before college was going to be one to remember.

In the area around my town there were large farms cut by miles of roads. The farmland was as flat as could be and these roads would were meant to connect the more heavily-travelled highways. The roads were mostly straight, although some would curve erratically to avoid large trees. With one lane in each direction, these roads had no streetlights.

As I mentioned before, I was really coming out of my shell and hanging out with a bunch of different crowds. To be honest, at this point, I probably came off as cocky to some. I had never received so much attention and I really enjoyed being in the spotlight. As such, I did some really dumb things. For instance, I would arrive late at parties, sober, and take a few drunk party-goers for a joyride on the farm roads. My car was not exactly fast, but it had enough pep and grip to make for a fun time. Going over 100 mph, I would turn off my car’s headlamps while watching the road’s lane divider marks and take some turns nearly blind. There was just enough moonlight to let me know I was staying on the road. Of course, in retrospect, this was a retarded thing to do. But everyone loved it, as did I.

One night in the middle of the summer I went to a party late as usual. When I arrived, a few people approached me saying that if I do “the driving thing” that I shouldn’t do it on my normal stretch of road. They said that someone had just left, taking a group of people out to do the exact thing I usually do. It was at this point that I realized how terribly dangerous it would be if “the driving thing” caught on with multiple drivers. However, being the center of attention, I felt like I could test fate and drive on a different road.

Two of my close guy friends, Alex and Dave along with Dave’s girlfriend, Joy, joined me. I set off to a location known by many as Sunkist Road. That wasn’t the actual name of the road. However, anyone that drove on this road during a sunrise or sunset knew exactly why it was known as Sunkist. Without going into much detail, when sunlight was at shallow angles, it was a beautiful road on which to drive. Sunkist Road had a tight S-curve at one point, something I was very aware of. [1] Here is a diagram of the type of turn. The two trees surrounding the curve were about 30-40ft tall, with a trunk about 3-4ft wide. I knew the turn would scare the hell out of my friends.

My big rules were: no music, sunroof open, windows down and, of course, seat belts tightly fastened. I turned off one of the main roads onto Sunkist and drove for about a mile. At this point, one could barely see anything besides the ambient moonlight. I turned off my headlights and Joy started screaming immediately. I continually added speed until going nearly 110 mph. Anticipating the curve ahead, I slowed down. I entered the turn nearly perfectly and exited with just enough acceleration to have Alex yell “#!” After the curve, I knew the road was straight for miles, so a mile after the turn, I slowed down and made a u-turn to head back to the party.

I peeled out, and began gaining speed again to do another quick pass through the curve. However, I suddenly saw bright headlights appear behind me. All I could see were two headlights and what appeared to be very bright fog lights. It seemed as though this vehicle was 50 feet behind me, and I figured it was some sort of raised truck since the lights seemed abnormally high off the road. Startled, I turned my headlights on again and started gently pressing the brake pedal. The vehicle behind me turned its lights off. Thinking this was some other driver doing what I was doing, I kept slowing down with my headlights on. I kept looking in my rear view mirror hoping to see the other vehicle’s lights turn on. But I saw nothing. I came to a full stop and pulled over on the dirt shoulder. Looking in my rear view mirror, I tapped my brakes a few times hoping to see the vehicle reflecting my brake lights. But I saw nothing. I asked everyone if they could see anything, but each responded with a “no.” I had a flashlight in my glovebox, so I grabbed it, exited the vehicle and flashed it behind my car. Nothing.

I got back in the car and started driving the speed limit (45 mph in this area). Suddenly, the same headlights turn on behind me. Except, this time, they were brighter than before and seemed like the vehicle was less than 20 ft behind me. I let off the gas to start slowing down again, but the vehicle behind me was getting closer and closer. It seemed like the vehicle was within 5 ft of me, so I decided to speed up and attempt to gain some room from him in the S-curve. The vehicle’s lights were so bright that I had to fold down my rearview mirror in order to see the road. I looked down, briefly, and saw that I was going nearly 120mph. Joy was screaming at this point, yelling at me to slow down. Dave said something to her to quiet her down but it didn’t matter, I thought that I could get away from this maniac…so I kept going. Knowing the curve was approaching, I started slowing down a little.

I don’t drive at the limit of my car’s abilities…I don’t want to hear tires squealing; but entering the curve, I knew I was going too fast. The tires screamed, the suspension shifted intensely…this was as far as I had ever pushed my car. My eyes were glued to the road, hoping to keep my headlights on pavement. However, as the headlights started shining on the dirt shoulder on the left side of the road, I thought, for sure, we were going in the ditch on the side of the road. Suddenly, I heard a horribly loud crash; a sound I cannot even explain to someone. But, somehow, I didn’t feel any impact…my car pulled through the curve and I slowly steered it back onto the pavement. I suddenly noticed a lack of light coming from behind me. I started to slow the car down.

As I brought my car to a full stop on dirt shoulder, I turned around in my chair to see my passengers looking behind us. “What the # just happened?!” said Joy. “I think he crashed…this can’t be good. That guy must be so #ed up right now” I said. I made a u-turn and headed back to the curve, headlights on, eyes wide open looking for what made the crash sound. As we approached the curve, we all knew exactly what was the source of the sound. One of the trees hugging the curve was practically gone. All that was left was the stump part, which was cut off approximately 6 ft from the ground. The entire top of the tree was gone.

I stopped the car, grabbed the flashlight and we all started walking onto the farm’s field to search for the other vehicle. As I entered the field, my flashlight revealed pieces of the tree extending far into the farm’s field. It was complete carnage: huge branches of this old tree were all over the place. At this point, Alex said “This guy couldn’t have survived, we need to call the police asap.” Dave’s phone was the only one that had service, so he called. While waiting for the police car, all of us kept scouring the field, looking for the vehicle. But we found nothing.

When police arrived 15 minutes later, I explained to them basically what happened. I carefully explained that we were driving a little quickly and someone was driving just as fast behind us, and suddenly they veered off the road and we heard a crash. The officer took out a large flashlight and continued searching the field with us. All we found was debris of the tree. Mystified, we all returned back to the road. The officer called for backup to continue the search and, of course, gave me a breathalyzer test…which I passed. He told us to head home, so my friends and I got back into my car.

We sat there for a minute, in silence. I turned on my car and started driving back to town. Dave was the first to speak: “What the #, guys? #ing Houdini?” Joy laughed softly then said: “I think Adam (that’s my name) just inadvertently killed someone. I told you to slow down!!” I said: “I don’t know what’s going on. I just want to get home, we’ll figure this all out in the morning.” Alex kept quiet. I dropped off Dave and Joy at Dave’s house, but as I was dropping Alex off, he said: “Have you ever seen Close Encounters?”

Me: Yeah…but…come on, you can’t be serious…

Alex: Do you remember when Richard Dreyfus looks into the sky and sees what looks to be moving stars as part of a constellation?

Me: Yeah, pretty crazy scene.

Alex: I swear on my life, I saw something like that in the sky tonight while I was in the field.

Me: Are you serious?!

Alex: Dude, I don’t even know what to think. Maybe my mind’s #ing with me…but I’m not that drunk. I dunno, this is all #ed up. I’m going to sleep, gnight man.

As he walked into his house, I got the worse goosebumps I’ve ever had. I drove home, and after a few hours, actually got to sleep.

The next day, Alex called me.

Alex: Dude, I’m on Sunkist rd. That tree is toast. A huge part of the top was found like 300 ft away from the base.

Me: Holy #! But, what about the other car?

Alex: There’s no car.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:26 PM
That's an interesting story. I honestly expected them to find out something about an old crash that happened there 30 years before or something that took out a tree, making it a ghost story. Definitely not what I was expecting...makes it a lot more believable for me.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:29 PM
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

It is believable being a little less dramatic than a fake but I still feel it was a little embellished. Mainly because /r/nosleep is dedicated to telling ghost stories.

Very possibly real though. Also creepy.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:09 PM
Bump. Only once for more views.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:32 AM
reply to post by drew1749

Maybe you were adducted.This is similar to some abduction experiences.Was there any missing time?

new topics

top topics

log in