It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya military site yields possible radioactive material

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Libya military site yields possible radioactive material

edition.cnn.com

Sabha, Libya (CNN) -- A military site containing what appears to be radioactive material has been uncovered by revolutionary forces near the southern Libyan city of Sabha.

Military forces loyal to the country's National Transitional Council took a CNN crew Thursday to the site, not far from Sabha in the Sahara desert. The crew saw two large warehouses there, one containing thousands of blue barrels, some marked with tape saying "radioactive," and several plastic bags of yellow powder sealed with the same tape.

The material has not been confirmed as being radioactive, but the Internati
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Okay, unconfirmed as radioactive. I really don't think Libya had a nuclear weapons program but it's possible. I wonder if this could be the same type of lies that were told about Iraq. Maybe the UN are trying to justify a ground invasion regardless what the new Libyan government wants. It just keeps getting more interesting every day over there.

edition.cnn.com

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Are you sure it ain't our nuclear material ? Some of our nuclear material just went missing.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
"Took a CNN crew"

Ok that is enough for me to question the entire article.

(Just to add) Please dont tell me they are planning on recycling the weapons of mass distruction concept again, I really hope the general public are not stupid enough to believe this propoganda once again.
edit on 22-9-2011 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

I'm not sure at all. I was only posting the story.

According to the article it is unconfimed. My guess is propaganda. They will probably admit it was nothing in a few weeks once everyone has forgotten about it.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Wow, the rag tag rebels took a CNN crew. De ja vu. You'd think they'd try something else. Condoleeza shrine, mass graves, rape kits. Surprised they haven't made an outlandish unconfirmed claims like, "Gaddafi wants to eat your babies"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dl2one
Wow, the rag tag rebels took a CNN crew. De ja vu. You'd think they'd try something else. Condoleeza shrine, mass graves, rape kits. Surprised they haven't made an outlandish unconfirmed claims like, "Gaddafi wants to eat your babies"

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

You have to admit, the radioactive tape is a nice touch lol. They know the average person will read that label and go, "yep I can read the label, it says radioactive! Looks like we need to invade some more countries."

edit on 22-9-2011 by OwenGP185 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Ok now that we got the usual over the top Anti-US/West/NATO rhetoric out of the way....

If this turns out to be true they can trace where it came from right down to the very facility that produced it. Now I doubt good old Muammar Gaddafi was trying to build a nuclear bomb. If anything probably a dirty bomb.

But that's just speculation on my part.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Of course this is the radioactive material the corporate media is focusing on, and not the Fukushima radioactive material that's screwing up that area of the planet and quite possibly the whole planet depending on the severity.

for CNN

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
it must be a slow news day.

nobody there has a geiger counter, to test this material?

how long would it take the news networks to fly in testing equipment?
they have talked about it all day.

NATO has no hazardous material testing equipment?

what is the purpose of putting this "information" on the news?

either nothing or something fishy.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
What is the problem, guys? This is nothing new. The remnants of the Libyan WMD program are still stored in Libya. Not everything was destroyed or removed. Obviously the IAEA removed the highly radioactive material some years ago. The Yellow Cake was still known to be in Libya by the IAEA. The same as the stocks of Mustard Gas still awaiting destruction.

Of course there are still going to be barrels with IAEA seals and labelled as radioactive by international inspectors in Libya.

www.iaea.org...

See following for Libyan confirmation of Mustard Gas stockpiles and the extension of their destruction scheduled for Summer 2011.

www.opcw.org...

This is no different to the radioactive waste that was still in Iraq before and after the Iraqi invasion in 2003.

The Iraqi site at Al Tuwaitha was littered with radioactive waste that had been tagged by the IAEA.

www.un.org...

TJ

edit on 22-9-2011 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
CNN is a "state-run news agency". They're so-called journalists
keep getting outed as CIA. So if a CNN journalist is reporting on
this that certainly makes it suspect. I think it's just as likely that
they put that material there themselves to use against Gaddafi to
continue their lies to the American people about why we need to be
there.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It really is a non-story

www.reuters.com...

The U.N. atomic agency said on Thursday that Libya's previous government had stored raw uranium near Sabha, after CNN reported that anti-Gaddafi forces had found a military site containing what appeared to be radioactive material.....

In Vienna, IAEA spokeswoman Gill Tudor said: "We can confirm that there is yellow cake stored in drums at a site near Sabha ... which Libya previously declared to the IAEA."

TJ

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I really don't think Libya had a nuclear weapons program but it's possible.

They in fact did have a brief program, I'm too lazy right now to look up all the articles but there are many. If you watch the documentary about nuclear weapons "Countdown To Zero" a former intelligence operative stated that the U.S. caught nuclear scientist A.Q. Khan trying to sell a full blown nuclear weapon to Libya red handed. I also remember hearing how a bunch of barrels of radioactive material were just sitting on the side of the road pretty much unprotected for DAYS while they were waiting to be picked up.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Ummm Ghaddafhi admitted they had a nuclear program!! They agreed after 9-11 to dismantle it in exchange for the lifting of sanctions and the US agreed. So to say that maybe they found some leftover stuff is not a stretch.

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Okay, unconfirmed as radioactive. I really don't think Libya had a nuclear weapons program but it's possible. I wonder if this could be the same type of lies that were told about Iraq. Maybe the UN are trying to justify a ground invasion regardless what the new Libyan government wants. It just keeps getting more interesting every day over there.

edition.cnn.com

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

Yes that is correct. Sorry, my post was poorly worded. I meant to say I doubt that they had a nuclear weapons program from 2003 onwards when he publically announced the discontinuation of their nuclear and chemical weapons program.

top topics

join