It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed of light broken!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Speed of light broken!

www.telegraph.co.uk

The science world was left in shock when workers at the world's largest physics lab announced they had recorded subatomic particles travelling faster than the speed of light – a feat that Einstein said was impossible.

If the findings are proven to be accurate, they would overturn one of the pillars of the Standard Model of physics, which explains the way the universe and everything within it works.

Einstein's theory of special relativity, proposed in 1905, states that nothing in the universe can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

But researchers at the CER
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This I am sure may well change the whole standard model. Anyone care to think off the possibiltys that may be resolved with physics. Not that I am top off the deck but have a very big interests in the subject. Any idears on what this might mean for travel in the future. Should make intersting read. Take care

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Id123

Any idears on what this might mean for travel in the future. Should make intersting read. Take care

I agree that this is indeed interesting mainly because special relativity has been in firm belief for almost a century now. Im not entirely sure if just because a few particles can travel FTL that a space vehicle can, but nonetheless this raises questions as to whether or not human ingenuity should limit itself based on theories much like Special Relativity.
edit on 22-9-2011 by heyitsphil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
A lot of things are changing...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

Many thanks, I shall keep an open mind to this. Torsion fields spring to mind but I have to admit I really know very little about that too. Interesting none the less.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenCo
A lot of things are changing...

It doesn't surprise me, ever hear of Time Slips ? I thought you needed speed of light to time travel. Shows some logic is seriously flawed.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If true this could be the discovery of the century

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by greenCo

I must be a cynic! Lots off things are changing for sure. I hope this will be a breakthrough though and maybe oneday a force for us all that we can use. (I well to liberal) To me and this is onlt the thoughts off a chap with nothing else really to do. It make the universe just that little bit less distant. Looking forward to them showing its true to. I guess there will be plenty off text books ripped up over this.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Id123

Wait a minute!

I thought "the science is settled."

Isn't there a "consensus" of qualified scientists who say otherwise?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Already covered here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by heyitsphil

As far as I know this should change the rules that we know. Human nature seems to prove another human wrong over time. Science seems endless. Maybe thats all we need to know....? Looks like this is already being covered though, just thought I put this out there. All thought welcome though. MOP
edit on 22-9-2011 by Id123 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join