It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-aging Pathway Questioned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Anti-aging Pathway Questioned

the-scientist.com

A new study adds fuel to the fire against the notion that a class of proteins called sirtuins can prolong life. … (and) provides the most convincing evidence yet against sirtuins’ role in aging.

Taken together, the studies created a compelling story: cutting calories activates a sirtuin pathway, which extends lifespan in many animal species. That raised hopes that scientists could one day create a human anti-aging pill by stimulating sirtuin production directly, bypassing the need to skimp on c
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That sucks. Still no pill that lets you pig out, but confers the benefits of near-starvation and longevity.

It's true: eating very very little activates some pathway or another, and extends your lifespan. Near starvation = longevity. Big Pharma wants a pill to do the same thing, without the diet part. But the pills don't work. Seems something is missing the mark.

Ancient wisdom may provide the missing piece of the puzzle, as is the case with many modern scientific conundrums. A Chinese text now titled Immortal Sisters: Secrets of Taoist Women translated by Thomas Cleary, may help. I read what must have been an earlier version called Secrets of the Immortal Sisterhood - the text outlined how women can achieve immortality. Besides cutting calories to near-starvation to stop menstration early, one also must eat a specific mushroom (a map is provided with directions on where to find it).

Immortal Sisters: Secrets of Taoist Women

The texts here translated deal especially with meditation and with human subtle physiology; and show how certain exercises are different for (or should be performed differently by) women and men. These female teachings even speak of "switching off" and/or "on" again one's menstrual flow - a freedom many a contemporary woman would like to have.

the-scientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Thanks OP, great post!

I cam e across Sirtuin at a Clinique counter (of all places), the sales girl was trying to flog me a tub of their anti aging cream, trying to blind me with science, saying that it basically repairs the cell, rather rather than letting it commit suicide when it is damaged beyond repair, by repairing it ? (for the most part for being an old cell).

However I did not buy into it, the cells in our body must die to replicate, and renew, anything that works against this process however seemingly preferable has surely got to compromise the cells ability to reproduce properly, thus leading to mistakes in subsequent cells, ie mutations that could render the cell useless.

Sound familiar ?

Well it should, because cancer is the same.

Hence the reason I never bought a tub, and giggled to myself as I walked off.

Of course I could be way off base with all of this, but personally I wouldn't want to take any chances with my health, for the sake of vanity, however favourable it may be.

And so I shall grow old disgustingly, and hope that I do not grow too grotesque, but moreover live a long and healthy life.

Side note : Do agree with the reduction of calorie part, I'm within normal range for my weight and the other day someone commented that I didn't look my age, and what was my secret, I can live with that for now

edit on 22-9-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aksbmw9

reply to post by solargeddon

Thank you both.
...Now, I'd like to rewrite my first line:

That sucks. Still no pill that lets you pig out and live forever too.

new topics

top topics

join