It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese now outnumber hungry, says Red Cross

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
AFP - Obese people now outnumber the hungry globally, but hardship for the undernourished is increasing amid a growing food crisis, the International Federation of the Red Cross warned Thursday.

The Geneva-based humanitarian group focused on nutrition in its annual World Disasters Report, released in New Delhi, seeking to highlight the disparity between rich and poor, as well problems caused by a recent spike in prices.
www.france24.com...

I seen this story and was very surprised by it. I always thought that undernourished people hugely outnumbered those that have no food poverty. I would have got this general impression throughout my life.

Anyway its not as bad as I thought but its still a pretty horrible story.

I went onto the worldometers website to a closer look at this and I found a different story.

Obese people do not outnumber undernourished people acccording to this website.

Overweight people do outnumber the undernourished.

So either france24 has twisted this story, the red cross has twisted the story or worldometers information is incorrect.

Check for yourself. www.worldometers.info... ??????

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Can't forget the fact that there is no nutrients in most of the obese folk's diets, causing them to eat far more than they should in order to lose the (ironic to thread title) feeling of Starvation.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
So the Red Cross is admitting they are feeding the wrong people?
Who else is there to blame?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

The people in the industrialized world who don't care enough to do anything about it.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Buddha1098 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Exactly. If they did a thorough study, I'd be willing to bet that those obese people are actually severely undernourished.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Yeah the Red Cross needs to be in Africa, India, etc.; not in the United States of Morbidity.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Exactly. If they did a thorough study, I'd be willing to bet that those obese people are actually severely undernourished.

Yup.

It's actually a form of starvation. Man, how TPTB have perfected the mindrape and torture! And they get YOU to PAY for it. Convincing people that stuffing yourself full of garbage and poison is GOOD. Yet your body still craves nourishment, which you do not get from McDonalds and Hot Pockets and Coca Cola. So your body demands MORE. This is where obesity comes from.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
So does anybody know how many obese people could feed a dozen starving people?

I find the answer is often buried in the dilemma itself.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Obese people are actually poverty stricken at times. In the united states the cheapest foods are also the most fattening. Next time you see a fat old woman wobbling down the street, know that she's that way because of the processed fat/sugar she's been living on for the last 40 years, not because she's lazy or eats too much.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

Not many. They're all fat and no muscle. Read previous post for explanation.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
So obviously we solve this by chopping up the fatties and distributing them to families in need right? two kill birds with one stone or something>?

top topics

join