It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Joke. Faster than Light Atoms Discovered at CERN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early.

The result - which threatens to upend a century of physics - will be put online for scrutiny by other scientists.

In the meantime, the group says it is being very cautious about its claims.

"We tried to find all possible explanations for this," said report author Antonio Ereditato of the Opera collaboration.

"We wanted to find a mistake - trivial mistakes, more complicated mistakes, or nasty effects - and we didn't," he told BBC News.

"When you don't find anything, then you say 'Well, now I'm forced to go out and ask the community to scrutinise this.'"

Read the source for more data: www.bbc.co.uk...

This is earth shattering news. And granted the scientists at CERN have replicated this experiment, they believe the results are "crazy" and badly need other scientists to confirm that neutrinos can go faster than light.

If confirmed by third parties, what do you believe the implications of this news to be?
edit on 22-9-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Already posted here: 1

And here: 2

No joke.
edit on 22-9-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Yeahh, a little late on the draw, Jason! Haha! No, in all seriousness, this is great news, as well as HUGE news. So I totally understand an immediate jump to a post! Good job spreading the news.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well to mean this would mean that IF this is TRUE then it's possible to TRAVEL faster than light...Therefore we are on the right track to a far out trip kinda like they have on the TV show Eureka with the FTL apparatus....

Yeah I know waaaayyyy out there but really cool show

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

Thanks for pointing out where else it's posted (your number 2 is me as well, moved it to the science forum with this post) - though I'll give the first poster credit, of which I'll do next with my stars and flags.

But yep, absolutely amazing news. The possibilities for space travel are now endless if we can harness this new understanding of neutrinos somehow.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Title is misleading, neutrinos are not atoms.

2nd.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Wiki.. (just to answer anyone's immediate question, "then what is it?")

A neutrino ( English pronunciation: /njuːˈtriːnoʊ/,Italian pronunciation: [neuˈtriːno]) is an electrically neutral, weakly interacting elementary subatomic particle[1]. Meaning "small neutral one", is an elementary particle that can travel past the speed of light, is electrically neutral and is able to pass through ordinary matter almost unaffected, "like a bullet passing through a bank of fog"[2]. Neutrinos have a very small, but nonzero mass. They are denoted by the Greek letter ν (nu). Neutrinos are similar to the more familiar electron, with one crucial difference: neutrinos do not carry electric charge. Because neutrinos are electrically neutral, they are not affected by the electromagnetic forces which act on electrons. Neutrinos are affected only by the weak sub-atomic force of much shorter range than electromagnetism, and are therefore able to pass through great distances within matter without being affected by it. Neutrinos also interact gravitationally with other particles. Neutrinos are created as a result of certain types of radioactive decay or nuclear reactions such as those that take place in the Sun, in nuclear reactors, or when cosmic rays hit atoms. There are three types, or "flavors", of neutrinos: electron neutrinos, muon neutrinos and tau neutrinos. Each type also has a corresponding antiparticle, called an antineutrino. Electron neutrinos (or antineutrinos) are generated whenever protons change into neutrons, or vice versa—the two forms of beta decay. Interactions involving neutrinos are mediated by the weak interaction. Most neutrinos passing through the Earth emanate from the Sun. Every second, in the region of the Earth, about 65 billion (6.5×1010) solar neutrinos pass through every square centimeter perpendicular to the direction of the sun.[3]
reply to post by BIGPoJo

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Yeah big difference between the OP atoms and the articles sub atomic particles. Learned that when I was 11 in 1961

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

"And of course the consequences can be very serious."

Like maybe they've been wrong.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So all you have to do to time travel is simply become a neutrino.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Someone PLEASE explain how it is possible to measure something travelling faster than the speed of light over a distance of only 700km's or so. Am i the only one who thinks the "thing" travelling faster than light would actually get their before it left its original location?

Also, how would it be possible to say it went faster than light when the images, machinery etc that are used to measure its speed cannot compute faster than the speed of light so it would have been and gone before they were able to record it

Help please!
edit on 22/9/11 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

With no intention to be misleading the title should have been:

"No Joke. Faster than Light Subatomic Particles Discovered at CERN"

So we know the speed of light is measurement, and now a barrier to be crossed (if the evidence hold up to peer review), what implications does this have?

What can we do, ever theoretically, with neutrinos?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Oh I totally understand, man. I wasn't worried about the title whatsoever, honest mistake.

Valid questions! I am not so sure myself.. Perhaps we can wield this in our favor, knowledge (true knowledge), is always a good thing, I believe...

Perhaps we can now begin measuring time in a non-linear way, more effectively..
edit on 22-9-2011 by EvanJP because: just a thought

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

well you can make a bomb out of them that kills everyone, but leaves buildings and everything else intact. it's called the neutron bomb.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s
Already posted here: 1

And here: 2

No joke.
maybe those were also duplicates? because both of those links are 404ed.

So I guess I'll post here, since there's no usable link to an earlier thread. We already know that quantum entanglement happens faster than the speed of light.

Also, we don't know if neutrinos are massless or not, but if they are massless it's not as big a problem to go the speed of light. However I'm not sure how they go faster than the speed of light, it will be interesting to see the community scrutinize this to see if it's a measurement error the original folks couldn't find. The history of physics does have a few of those (more than a few actually).

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Jason88

well you can make a bomb out of them that kills everyone, but leaves buildings and everything else intact. it's called the neutron bomb.
Neutrons and neutrinos aren't the same thing.

You can be killed by enough neutrons. I seriously doubt you can be killed by neutrinos, they go right through you with no effect on you.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

So I guess I'll post here, since there's no usable link to an earlier thread.

There's this one.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Weaponize it. Figures that would be the first implication, a newly improved Neutron Bomb... radiates you before know what happened. Edit to add: Member Arbitrageur points out the difference between neutron and neutrino in a post above.

reply to post by EvanJP

I think if we dig into this resource there could be good data on uses for neutrinos beyond bomb building.

When Pauli postulated the existence of a new elementary particle, the 'neutron', in the late 1930s, he was introducing an entity to fill the gaps in the physics of the day. There was no direct evidence for such a particle; only the need to account for the missing energy in beta decay processes and to explain the statistics of some nuclei. Thus, Pauli's neutron was called into existence to solve problems in the areas of radioactivity and nuclear physics; but, in time, it would prove useful in many other areas of physics.

The aim of this paper is to describe the many uses the neutrino has had in physics since its appearance, uses that have determined the ontological status of this elusive particle. Interestingly, the experimental detection of neutrinos 50 years ago was a minor episode in understanding the nature of such particles. As we shall argue, other moments in the biography of the particle proved more significant in determining the uses of neutrinos and their ontology.

Source for academic paper: adsabs.harvard.edu...

reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for the clarification of neutrons and neutrinos! Time to brush up my knowledge base, and checking out this paper above.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
More data sources to learn about neutrinos and hopefully how this news (again if found correct) will impact us: www.citeulike.org...

I'll post whatever I find that's interesting.

Addition: So back to weapons again, it seems this science-based article says that, "This data provides an indication for the first time that muon neutrinos are able to transform into electron neutrinos over a distance of 295 km through the quantum mechanical phenomena of neutrino flavour oscillations."

Source: www.triumf.ca...

So we can fry distant objects faster than ever now... there's got to be more here than a glorified laser.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Topic already being discussed here.

Thread closed.

top topics

join