It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 16 year old girl executed for her sharp tongue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
"Amnesty International today expressed its outrage at the reported execution of a girl who is believed to be 16 years old, Ateqeh Rajabi, in Neka in the northern Iranian province of Mazandaran. Amnesty International is alarmed that this execution was carried out despite reports that Ateqeh Rajabi was not believed to be mentally competent, and that she reportedly did not have access to a lawyer at any stage.

The execution of Ateqeh Rajabi is the tenth execution of a child offender in Iran recorded by Amnesty International since 1990. Amnesty International has urged Iran's judicial authorities to halt further executions of child offenders - people who were under 18 years old at the time of the offence. This is to bring Iran's law and practice in line with requirements of international human rights law.

Ateqeh Rajabi was reportedly publicly hanged on a street in the city centre of Neka. According to Peyk-e Iran, the lower court judge that issued the original sentence was the person that put the noose around her head as she went to the gallows."

Amnesty outraged at reported execution of a 16 year old girl

Well,
Can we accept this as an internal matter for Iran?
I usually try to provide pictures in my postings when possible, but I won?t provide any for this one...
Is it acceptable to execute children for having a "sharp tongue"?

[edit on 2004/8/25 by Hellmutt]

[edit on 8-25-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-2-2005 by William One Sac]

[edit on 8-2-2005 by William One Sac]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Of course, it's unacceptable, but it gives us some idea of the kind of existence we would all be living if the Islamists (read: enemy) had their way.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
This is just outright WRONG! If this were ever done in the US, I would not be posting this right now. The good thing about kids, is you have time to work with them on their problems and issues. This is just the begining of the Storm that is Brewing.....

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This is horrible. There really needs to be some modernization in the middle east. Just out of curiousity, I wonder what she said? I didnt see it in the article...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This shows how the world would live under radical islamic law.

Related article:

washingtontimes.com...

What is the world coming to?

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
done that.

ATS Search function works for news as well.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
done that.

Having one report in ATSNN and one in ATS is fine here.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Um Gazz:

Thanks for finding some additional information on this. I wondered who the other party was in this and what had happened to him.

Amnesty International said Ateqeh Rajabi's co-defendant, an unnamed man, reportedly was sentenced to 100 lashes and released after his sentence was carried out.

Interesting concept of justice they have there.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hanged for a sharp "tounging" more like: for "acts incompatible with chastity" (amal-e manafe-ye 'ofat).

NB the the man involved was told tsk tsk, oh and don't do it again (OK so it was 100 lashes but compared...).

Wonderfull this equality stuff, no?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
How many other countries in the world can you be executed for ' having a sharp tongue ' ? This barbarism at its worst, no wonder Iran is worried about the US on it's boarders. The people may just rise up to overthrow the ayatollahs.

As I have said many times before, the muslim ideology is not progressive, they enforce values discarded by civilised peoples long ago.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Of course, it's unacceptable, but it gives us some idea of the kind of existence we would all be living if the Islamists (read: enemy) had their way.

Ahem, just have a look at the islamic calendat: 1450 somethin i believe. Then take a quick look at what th Christians were up to at around that time, and more importantly what they ARE STILL UP TO.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

Ahem, just have a look at the islamic calendat: 1450 somethin i believe. Then take a quick look at what th Christians were up to at around that time, and more importantly what they ARE STILL UP TO.

Sorry I've missed your point, please explain.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I was merely pointing out that Christians did (and still do in part) have these backward ideas. Just look at the ahmish for example, or any other nutty Christian bible club. Thats "Today"!

But really what i was trying to point out was that as a Religion "mature" it seems to go though this "Crusade" stage when they are sooo convinced thay are right (about wether god is called "bob" or "allah", if you need to go to church on sunday or saturday or what ever other ARBITRARY RULES thay come up with) and the others must be wrong that they try to bring this point across on the point of a sword (or a cruise missile in this day and age).

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Just for balance:

I queried Google for "Countries using death penalty" and found this entry at the top of the hits.

Quote:

"Five countries � China, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iran, Pakistan and the USA � are known to have executed child offenders since 2000. Child offenders are currently under sentence of death in at least two other countries - the Philippines and Sudan.....

.... Of the 38 US states whose laws provide for the death penalty, 19 allow its use against child offenders. Sixteen states whose laws provide for the death penalty exclude its use against child offenders, as does US federal law and US military law. Twenty-two child offenders have been executed in seven states since 1977. Over 70 child offenders are currently under sentence of death in the country.

In April 2003 the US authorities revealed that children as young as 13 were among the foreign nationals being held at the US Naval Base in Guant�namo Bay in Cuba. One detainee, Omar Khadr, a Canadian national, may be suspected of involvement in the shooting death of a US soldier in Afghanistan when he was 15 years old. Amnesty International has urged the Canadian authorities to seek assurances from the USA that it will not seek the death penalty against Omar Khadr should he be brought to trial before a military commission set up by the US authorities. Amnesty International opposes the proposed military commissions. ...."

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
I was merely pointing out that Christians did (and still do in part) have these backward ideas. Just look at the ahmish for example, or any other nutty Christian bible club. Thats "Today"!

I'd just like to point out, Amish are not a good choice in this example. They have no death penalty and do not go to war. Despite their rejection of today's technology, they are far more socially developed than most people in the world.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
Just for balance:

I queried Google for "Countries using death penalty" and found this entry at the top of the hits.

Quote:

"Five countries � China, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Iran, Pakistan and the USA � are known to have executed child offenders since 2000. Child offenders are currently under sentence of death in at least two other countries - the Philippines and Sudan.....

.... Of the 38 US states whose laws provide for the death penalty, 19 allow its use against child offenders. Sixteen states whose laws provide for the death penalty exclude its use against child offenders, as does US federal law and US military law. Twenty-two child offenders have been executed in seven states since 1977. Over 70 child offenders are currently under sentence of death in the country.

In April 2003 the US authorities revealed that children as young as 13 were among the foreign nationals being held at the US Naval Base in Guant�namo Bay in Cuba. One detainee, Omar Khadr, a Canadian national, may be suspected of involvement in the shooting death of a US soldier in Afghanistan when he was 15 years old. Amnesty International has urged the Canadian authorities to seek assurances from the USA that it will not seek the death penalty against Omar Khadr should he be brought to trial before a military commission set up by the US authorities. Amnesty International opposes the proposed military commissions. ...."

Good find Genya, i've been looking for that info'.
I believe that a majority of US citizens wouldn't know that the US appears on such a short list.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Thank you Koka!

As I said, I did it for balance - whilst it is patently "wrong" to execute a child (and possibly adults too, but that is another question) it seeems somehow hypocryptical to condemn *other* countries practices, whilst (perhaps unknowingly?) using the same practice yourself? A bit like "Put your own house in order" perhaps? And, of course, it seems (to me) to counter arguments along religious and faith grounds ie that a "Christian" country is somehow more paternal than an "Islamic" one: both seem quite capable of killing children?

Just my �0.02...

new topics

top topics

join