It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New tech can turn thoughts into movies.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I almost want to call the video a fake.

Either this a a poor fake or it is quite amazing considering how different the two images are, 1 is wearing a t-shirt and no hat. So is it a fake or are we seeing what the mind see. Steve martin without a suit, no tie and no hat? even the background looks like art.

The black kid turns into Barry Gibbs? or Jesus? I dont know about this video...... quite odd.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Why does every new and amazing advancement in technology ultimately have to lead to some authoritarian matter? Come on, this is amazing if this is true. Can you imagine the possibilities for art, music, and film? Not to mention the inventions that could come from this. Anything you can conceive of in your mind could be presented for all to see! Of course, it COULD be used for ill. But, so are guns and people seem to love them and want lots of them.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
People, please read the story attached to this video. FFS, you're comparing the images without even reading the story to understand why they are not exactly the same. It's a new technology. It will have bugs.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

I did not realize this was peer reviewed, but the video presented does not look real, as a previous poster suggested. Even if it has bugs, why do the thought images look so much different from the real image?

For example:

The top pic looks like slightly like a white woman, with a smudge effect applied. The second looks more like a woman with a smudge affect applied, the last image looks like a white man wearing a suit, with a white shirt and tie, again with a smudge affect applied. Those look nothing like the original image. That's why I said that I don't buy it. Maybe it is real though. What I would like to see, is someone's thoughts being recorded without looking at any images, and see if the images on the screen are similar to what the person was actually thinking.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

The images on the right are NOT real. That is because they are rendered in a 3d voxel engine custom coded to present the raw data that is measured using a magnetic system. Hope this helps.
edit on 22-9-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Some studies said that men think about sex several times a minute.

Can you imagine trying to give a presentation using this technology to a room of investors and every couple seconds a clip of Carmen Electras boobs pops up?

This tech could really help with treating ADD and ADHD, as the doctors could "see" at what point a patients mind wandered off. (sidenote: I think ADD and ADHD diagnosis' are too easy of doctors to pass out
)

Therapist would have a field day with this tech.
Therapist: So how do you feel about your mother-in-law?
Patient: Oh, I love her, shes great! (image on screen showing him choking his mother-in-law
)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Amazing. Of course the tech they divulge to the public is only the tip of the iceberg of what actually they possess. Ever wonder why diseases aren't cured and yet millions and millions of dollars are given to fund the research? This is what they do what that money. I have no proof, just a common belief that those in power want more power. No cure for greed. It's a fight for your mind, they want in, but I won't go down without a fight.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

I wonder at what point they will be able to use this as "admissible" evidence in a court of law? Kind of removes any sort of reasonable doubt, eh?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I would like to use this on the brain of a schizophrenic patient with delusions of grandeur - who thinks he's the devil.

I wonder what we would see?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

They watched two separate sets of Hollywood movie trailers, while an fMRI measured blood flow through the visual cortex, the part of the brain that processes visual information. On the computer, the brain was divided into small, three-dimensional cubes known as volumetric pixels, or "voxels."

The brain activity was recorded while subjects viewed the first set of clips which were fed into a computer program that learned, second by second, to associate visual patterns in the movie with the corresponding brain activity.

Brain activity evoked by the second set of clips was used to test the movie reconstruction algorithm. This was done by feeding 18 million seconds of random YouTube videos into the computer program so it could predict the brain activity each film clip would most likely evoke in each subject.

Finally, the 100 clips that the computer program determined were most similar to the clip that the subject had probably seen were merged to produce a blurry, yet continuous reconstruction of the original movie.

To be blunt, this isn't anything close to "mind reading." It's a way of using fMRI as a way to try and see what the visual center of the brain is processing at the given time.

At no point is the attempt made to render a visual from someone's "conscious."

We've already had much more practical results obtained from optic-nerve interfaces (though that is more of a one-way sort of deal).

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm callin HOAX right now....engage.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I'm not buying that this is "new" technology. They, the elite behind closed doors, have technology we can't comprehend. What they peddle out to the public is usually dribble that's decades old to them, but they can use it to recoup their costs by selling it to us.

A lot of people tend to forget about this simple truth. Just look at the internet and GPS. Both were military technology more than a decade old when the public got a chance to buy in.

A friend of my mother's worked at IBM. In the late 1980's he had an early "prototype" cd recorder he could hook up to his home stereo. Around 1989 he had a prototype cell phone that looked much like the eventual IBM and Bell South Simon Personal Communicator.

Our class took a field trip to one of IBM's main offices right here in our state. By the late 1980's they already had touch screen desktop and laptop computers on display in their lobby. They also had telephones with a camera built in. If both parties had the appropriate phone they could see an image of the other person. It refreshed the picture once every 12 seconds or so according to the tour guide.

All of the "gee whiz" technology people play with today is already outdated to the people on the inside.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
This could be really bad for our civil liberty and REALLY awesome for entertainment.

IM torn.

Whatever you imagine instantly on youtube. I wish this was true, the possibilities are endless.

Seriously I really wish this will become something you can experience at home.
edit on 22-9-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
I almost want to call the video a fake.

Either this a a poor fake or it is quite amazing considering how different the two images are, 1 is wearing a t-shirt and no hat. So is it a fake or are we seeing what the mind see. Steve martin without a suit, no tie and no hat? even the background looks like art.

I just read the youtube description, it makes a bit more sense now.
Here's how they say it works.

"The left clip is a segment of the movie that the subject viewed while in the magnet. The right clip shows the reconstruction of this movie from brain activity measured using fMRI.

The reconstruction was obtained using only each subject's brain activity and a library of 18 million seconds of random YouTube video. (In brief, the algorithm processes each of the 18 million clips through the brain model, and identifies the clips that would have produced brain activity as similar to the measured brain activity as possible.

The clips used to fit the model, those used to test the model and those used to reconstruct the stimulus were entirely separate.) Brain activity was sampled every one second, and each one-second section of the viewed movie was reconstructed separately. "
edit on 23-9-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
time to start watching yourself for thoughtcrimes

i would love to see this hooked up to someone while they dream

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

not totally accurate thread title,

so they have the people watch a random video from a database (youtube) while recording their brain activity, then they use the recorded brain activity to determine which videos in their database (youtube) would have caused the brain to create that activity,

the image on the right is them showing you which video they think the person was watching determined only by analyzing the brain activity that was recorded while they watched it,

they also do include in the right image a sort of rendering of the image of their thoughts, but if they did not also include their own guess at what video it was then the right image would be not much more then a blur, the only real definition of an image is coming from them supplying their own guess at what video the subject was watching,

so the blurriness in the right image is their actual thoughts rendered into image form, and the real definition of being able to see a person or etc in that right image is solely them picking a video they think matches that brain activity,

so this explains why the images didnt match up

all that considered, they are very very close, frighteningly close,

i would REALLY like to see that right image WITHOUT their own guess at which video they thought matched the brain activity,

i would like to see what the image looks like with only the thoughts rendered, probably a pur blur with no definable definition but still, i would like to see that, its to bad they had to layer in a video guess at what was being watched like they did
edit on 9/23/11 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Some studies said that men think about sex several times a minute.

Can you imagine trying to give a presentation using this technology to a room of investors and every couple seconds a clip of Carmen Electras boobs pops up?
At least one person is thinking the same thing as me.

I'm not sure I want to see movies of other people's thoughts and I'm not sure people want to see movies of my thoughts, there does tend to be a lot of random stuff thrown in there. Like when your public speaking coach tells you to imagine your audience is naked to make you less nervous,

That's if the technology really did what the thread title claims, which as several people have pointed out, it really doesn't.

Still, it's kind of cool to see what they've done.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Tesla claimed to have a " dream recorder". If his work was indeed taken by the government, and what Tesla said was true, than this is them finally catching up. It was some kind of device that could read the images off of the eyes, and from the brain. Then again, it could be garbage.

edit on 23-9-2011 by JustinSee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I'm very certain a good majority would not want to see my thoughts...
but i certainly would love to see someone else's

This would certainly shed some light as to what a child with Autism might be visualizing inside.
It would also probably be used in the release of supposed "rehabilitated" inmates or sex offenders to see if they still have those nasty thoughts.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
reply to post by Hydroman

The images on the right are NOT real. That is because they are rendered in a 3d voxel engine custom coded to present the raw data that is measured using a magnetic system. Hope this helps.
edit on 22-9-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

No their not! if you read the article it says that:

Finally, the 100 clips that the computer program determined were most similar to the clip that the subject had probably seen were merged to produce a blurry, yet continuous reconstruction of the original movie.

The blurry video on the right is actually youtube video's merged together to produce what it thinks matches the brain activity, where the hell are you getting 3d voxel crap from?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join