It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roll over Einstein: Pillar of physics challenged

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

Not to forget how the heck does gravity escape a Black Hole if theres a speed limit for light?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
As our consciousness of what's possible increases... what's possible increases.

Namaste!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Whow!!

The claim was met with skepticism, with one outside physicist calling it the equivalent of saying you have a flying carpet. In fact, the researchers themselves are not ready to proclaim a discovery and are asking other physicists to independently try to verify their findings

Gillies told The Associated Press that the readings have so astounded researchers that "they are inviting the broader physics community to look at what they've done and really scrutinize it in great detail, and ideally for someone elsewhere in the world to repeat the measurements."

If the European findings are correct, "this would change the idea of how the universe is put together," Columbia's Greene said. But he added: "I would bet just about everything I hold dear that this won't hold up to scrutiny."

Smart thing to do.

When science finds something extraordinary, testing the results for accuracy is always a smart move.

We will have to wait and see.

Great find DragonFire.

edit on 9/22/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
The reputation of Albert Einstein hangs in the balance...

Remember that Al was all theory, with a pencil and a piece of paper or chalk/chalkboard whatever.

These guys are using an LHC and billion dollar measuring devices. Not theory but random experiments.

Imagine what Einstein could come up with if he were at CERN.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname

I, have been saying this, since I was about 5 years old. i'll be back soon, when the scientists of the worlds ego's have deflatted some more.

That's hilliarious!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Perhaps the answer is much more simple than you all think.

Our calculations for the speed of light may have been slightly off.
Simple (maybe)

I will not argue faster than light travel, it is not my point.

I suggest to someone who know his numbers and crunch them to take this new speed and take it as this is lights new top speed, and not as breaking the barrier.

Is our first estimates of light speed off? maybe

Did we break the barrier? maybe

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantumdragon
I suggest to someone who know his numbers and crunch them to take this new speed and take it as this is lights new top speed, and not as breaking the barrier.

Is our first estimates of light speed off? maybe

Did we break the barrier? maybe

Very interesting.

Don't forget we did break the sound barrier.

When it comes to our understanding of science, facts only hold truth until they are disproved. Imagine the implications if this theory turns out to be correct? Holy crap!

We will have to wait and see.

edit on 9/22/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
OLD NEWS! infact this news is about 15-18 years old, whats more you dont need a particle accelerator to prove it either.

next they will be telling you in 15 years that gravity and the graviton is pure fantasy and instead, that particles, particulary vacuumed have a positive state, neutral (ionic state) and negative state, similar to a magnetic field having a north and south, the state of the particle or sub-particle is influenced by it's neighbouring particles state, to put it in simple terms. there you go, now you dont need to wait 15 years for that one.

It's long been known that neutrino's, a sub-particle, are attacted to the current state of the particle it bumps into, hence why they remain neutral, because the next particle maybe of an opposite charge and so forth, each time the neutrino interacts, it assumes it's nearest particles charge state,but once that particle charge is flipped the neutrino returns back to it's original state of ionic, causing the neutrino to bounce infront of the constant.

edit on 22-9-2011 by technologicalsingularity because: a little more...

edit on 22-9-2011 by technologicalsingularity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I always suspected that subatomic particles hide the secrets to hyperdimensional physics, but in all honesty I don't think we can blame him for his early accomplishments. He didn't say much about wormholes and anti-matter either.

Much of the new science can be atttributed to science fiction movies were the producers either had great imagination or access to classified material they wished to share. People tend to downplay movies while enjoying them for their "entertainment value".

What is anti-matter and does it have any relation to sub-atomic particles? I understand its mostly theoretical but if even 1/10 of the ufo&alien stories are true then we should have exponentially increased our understanding of science decades ago, not to mention all the anti-nwo whistleblowers...which status-quo puppets attempt to discredit.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Smugallo

everything is changing, Day by day from about a few weeks ago until about a year from now.

awesome.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

Bearing that in mind, I can well believe it also. Although, one would assume that something bigger than mere malfunction would have to be going down if they have bought in all these outside bods to try and figure out the authenticity of the find.

An aside. The bread that got dropped in the LHC... thats got to be , without doubt,the most expensive toast ever made.

My only concern with the "somethings broke, Oh crap!" idea, is why would they have produced a press release without any form of evidence to suggest that there was no more to it than a duff result? It doesnt seem the sort of thing that a serious scientific commune would go ahead and do. Oh I know silly things have happened before now in that vein, but it seems that these days, it would be somewhat of a shot in the foot , rather than being brushed off as an eccentric fancy of strange men in white coats.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Heres a bit of sincronicity for ya. So i'm reading this thread, and Through the Wormhole comes on. The episode? S2 EP 7- Can We Go Faster than Light.

Just thought I'd share

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
To address a few questions here;
The sound "barrier" and the speed of light are very different. It does not require infinite energy for a particle with mass to accelerate to the speed of sound(which varies with density of the medium, the speed of sound in a vacuum like space is 0) but it does require infinite energy to accelerate a particle to the speed of light in a vacuum. This is because of relativity, the mass of an object is relative to the speed at which it travels. This becomes apparent at speeds near the speed of light. The mass of the object will be infinite at the speed of light. Even if you convert all the matter in the universe to energy, and think e=mc2 here, there will not be enough energy in the universe to accelerate the particle to C. Conversely, there is not enough energy/matter in the universe to act on an object traveling faster than C to slow it down to c or below. Therefore a superluminal object with positive mass is impossible under current theories. The energy of the object would be more than infinite, hence the CERN scientists call their discovery crazy. Tachyons have no mass, nor do they interact with normal matter, nor have they ever been proven. They are a mathematical possibility allowed in current theory. The speed at which gravity interacts with space is C. The speed of light is variable outside of a vacuum. In water light will travel slower than in vacuum. That glowing radiation(Cherenkov radiation) seen in movies is particles traveling faster than light in the same volume(usually heavy water). The high energy particles are ejected from the radioactive material with such energy than they make little booms of light like when an object travels faster than sound in a volume make sonic booms. Light cones are formed by the light from these particles building like the wave at the front of a large ship traveling through water. Wait until this experiment can be verified by different equipment before claiming miracles.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
as mentioned before. the mass of an object only increases to infinity as it nears the speed of light which means its accelerated to that speed. if a particle constantly moves at ftl then it would not apply.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024

CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured

hosted.ap.org

GENEVA (AP) -- Scientists at the world's largest physics lab say they have clocked subatomic particles traveling faster than light. If that's true, it would break - if not severely twist - a fundamental pillar of physics.

Nothing is supposed to go faster than light. But scientists say that neutrinos - one of the strangest well-known particles in physics - smashed past the cosmic speed barrier of 186,282 miles per second (299,792 kilometers).
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-9-2011 by Maxmars because: PLEASE USE THE ACTUAL SOURCE HEADLINE WHEN SUBMITTING BREAKING ALTERNATIVE NEWS THREADS

Thought potentially moves faster than light, as it's unseen/unknown...would explain a lot of things.

Great find all the same!
edit on 22-9-2011 by old_god because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

The beauty of science, it is self correcting =D

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
this is what ive been saying all along but folks dont listen.i even started a thread about black holes and scientist conspiring.imagine stairs.to break the speed of water a torpedo has a bubble of air around it.to break the speed of sound an airplane has a shockwave around it.to break the speed of light there will be a shockwave of light around it.to go faster there will be a shockwave of neutrinos.

these shockwaves can be created by charging the skin of the craft with that energy level.
for example xrays fall in the 30000-50000 VOLTS .this is the breakaway point for gravity.neutrinos is probably in the millions of volts.the craft has to have no sharp points.the sharp points cause ligntning bolts.the problem with the system is the amps.a power source has to create some serious energy for movement.this is where i said in one of my threads to let the solar system fly by you rather than you flying by it.as the voltage steps up to the next level,the galaxies fly by you.as the voltage steps up again,the universe flies by.the whole time the craft is inside this shockwave/bubble.this method conserves energy.this is easier than flying a straight line and cheaper.just remember a super computer determines when to stop the craft or you end up inside a star or planet.
if you want to go ,you have to use a system built using propulsion from the systems.we use water pumped to go in water.we would use nuetrinoes pumped to go faster than light.
let the flaming begin:-)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

So if the speed of light "speed barrier" is broken by these TMNT space travalers (please tell me some one gets this refernce...) then is there some sort of effects like you get when you break the sound barrier? You know the sonic boom you hear when you go faster than sound? So would a black hole open up if you break the light barrier? Food for thought.
edit on 22-9-2011 by KJV1611 because: i can

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KJV1611

Sure is. It's called Cherenkov radiation.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Why is this so exciting? Quantum communication is already proven to be faster than light. Then again it's not really speed, it's instant communication, it just IS...
Just to add, I guess it's like a world in a computer game. To the characters inside the game the traveling seems to appear distant but to the computer its contained in a tiny space.
edit on 22-9-2011 by EleNoN because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join