It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GRA onscene in Orlando for Republican Debate!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Good Afternoon Everyone!!

First let me thank ATS Owners and Admins. They helped me get credentialed as press for this event, and I've been reluctant to post this thread until I actually arrived. Turns out, I am fully credentialed with all access Press Pass!! This will be a truly insider account of how the press covers these events!!

I will be reporting from the Google Press Room sponsored by Fox News. The Fox Network Booth is directly behind me about 25 feet. I'll be posting pictures and personal experiences as they happen. I won't be in the auditorium during the debate, but I will be at the Press Conferences, in the Media Room, in the Spin Room, and in the Post-debate get togethers.

I don't plan to sit at the laptop the whole time, I am looking for some personal interaction and Photo Ops, but please everyone continue to check into this thread with any questions, and I will try to find answers.

The event is 3 days long, with a Rally going on right now, and the debate later tonight, and the straw poll later this weekend.

Some quick observations thus far. Alongside every "Presidency5" banner is a Rick Perry banner. He has by far the largest contingency of staffers, aids, and posters/banners in the lobbies and arenas. The parking lot was full of Gadsden Flags, Ron Paul bumper stickers, and "Fire Congress" posters and signs. Inside is a different story and it is clear that Perry and Romney have the slickest run campaigns and full control over the arena.

Accomodations are OUTSTANDING, and I feel like an insider here. Fox News anchors and other familiar faces are everywhere. I will be trying to get pics and post them up as I go along.

Please chime in with questions or suggestions.

The event website is Presidency 5

The Republican Party of Florida website is RPOF.org

A few quick pics to follow, and then I'm going to walk around and check things out some more.
edit on 22-9-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I suppose inside it's clearly Perry/Romney time due to Fox News sponsoring this event. That organization can control what goes on inside, more than what occurs outside.
I'll be checking in from time to time to read your reports.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
To cool!

Look forward to your updates. Will you be giving your opinion on how the crowd reacts to the contenders answers from a first person perspective?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Definitely.

I plan to report more on how the press and crowd reacts, than the debate itself. Since the debate is available to everyone live, I want to focus my attention on the subtleties and behind the scenes look. Under the hood, so to speak. I want to see how different the stuff I see here is, compared to what makes it to the TV.

Fox News has nearly constant coverage of the event now, if anyone has it turned on. Also, most conservative talk radio is now reporting live from here.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

So glad you're here & I look forward to your perspective. Hope you get some interaction with the candidates. If you get tired of politics, come visit an odd Orlando attraction that isn't on our tourist maps:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Excellent GRA..

Be sure and get some photos of that parking lot too for the whole "picture".

The disconnect between reality and the circus won't be brought to us by the MSM.

Also, if you see any news-vans, try and get me the satellite, transponder, frequency should the opportunity arise.

edit on 22-9-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

wear a ron paul t-shirt

let us know how the audience really reacts to paul

to be a part of history that rocks man

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It is no surprise that Rick Perry and Mitt Romney are running the show there, which is how the system works. Those two are the present leaders with lots of cash and name recognition. Like you said though, there are more grassroots elements with the Ron Paul stickers on cars, etc… I am glad you were able to become the press for this debate and really show to us here on ATS what is being hidden and what actually the truth is.

Good luck man and please, don’t forget to have fun!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Unfortunately, the 5 website won't work for me unless I donate~those greedmongers!

If you get the chance/desire, could you post a bit on how the straw poll is working at this event? The process seems to change from venue to venue.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Grabbed a few pics, a couple of well-knowns. I missed a great opportunity just a second ago when Fox was broadcasting live from the balcony right outside this room. I will go back and get those pics. I had a couple of conversations with CPAC folks, they are not Ron Paul fans. The FairTax people definitely are. I've noticed there is not as much security as I expected. The Orange County Sheriff's are doing a good job, but there are not a lot of then. The only people that look like private security are the Rick Perry folks with the little squiggly radio wires in their ears.

Here are some real quick pics for now:

Spoke with Al Cardenas for a brief hello and handshake.

Here are some friendly Rick Perry aids:

Some of the Media Suite here:

Fox News Anchor and one of many broadcast booths

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

Here are the rules given to delegates:

Rules
PRESIDENCY 5 CONVENTION

PERMANENT CONVENTION RULES

RULE 1:

All aspects of Presidency 5 will be directed and approved by the Republican Party of Florida (RPOF). The RPOF Chairman will name the members of a Presidency 5 Advisory Committee.

RULE 2:

The official business listed in the Official Presidency 5 Convention Program, as determined by RPOF, is the only business that will be considered. No other business will be considered.

RULE 3:

The RPOF Chairman or his designee will chair the convention. The newly revised Robert’s Rules of Order (2010) will govern procedural matters not otherwise prescribed in these convention rules. A Parliamentarian shall be appointed by the RPOF Chairman.

RULE 4:

All delegates to Presidency 5 shall be Florida residents and registered Republicans as of February 1, 2011. The delegates must caucus with the county delegation in the county in which they are registered to vote as of their Presidency 5 application to become a delegate.

RULE 5:

All delegates must check-in and receive their delegate credentials from the designated registration area. During convention session, the RPOF is responsible for maintaining a list of delegates and alternate delegates in attendance from each county.

RULE 6:

In order to be considered to be an eligible applicant you must register online at www. Presidency5.com. Only applications received online will be considered. Registration will be open between April 10 and June 10, 2011. The county delegate selection caucuses will take place between June 15 and August 1, 2011. In the case that there are less than 3,500 delegates at the end of the delegate selection caucuses, the State Chairman may allocate delegate slots to ensure that major donors and dedicated activists are accommodated. This is not to exceed 3,500 delegates.

RULE 7:

No one, other than delegates with a delegate’s credentials and authorized convention personnel, will be allowed into the secured area of the convention floor. Credentials must be openly displayed.

RULE 8:

Any challenge of the delegates or alternates, for any reason except whether an alternate has properly been moved into a delegate position, must be filed in writing and must be received by RPOF Headquarters by August 15, 2011 for subsequent consideration by the P5 Credentials Committee. The challenge must set forth the reason or reasons why the delegates or alternates are claimed to be ineligible to be seated. Action of the P5 Credentials Committee will be considered as final with no appeal to the full convention.

The RPOF Chairman shall designate the members of the P5 Credentials Committee (5) and a P5 Tellers Committee, prior to June 1, 2011. Any challenges will be resolved prior to the day of the convention, September 24, 2011.

RULE 9:

Delegates will be seated by county delegations in a badge access-controlled section on the convention floor. Roll call votes of the counties will be conducted by the RPOF Secretary with an alphabetical roll call of counties. The Secretary shall announce how many credentialed voting members are present. The Chairman of each county delegation, or their designee will report the vote to the Convention Chairman when the county’s name is called.

RULE 10:

In accordance with Florida election law, general procedures for secret balloting will be reviewed and approved by the Presidency 5 Advisory Committee. No proxy voting will be allowed.

RULE 11:

Only those Republican candidates for President of the United States who have been invited by the RPOF will be allotted time for presentations pursuant to Rule 11. No nominations will be accepted from the floor.

RULE 12:

Each candidate will be allowed a total time of 20 minutes for a presentation. The candidate may use their time in any way they desire, including having a person introduce them, or have demonstrations on their behalf. However, any of these activities are part of the candidate’s total time and the candidate must appear and speak during the allotted time.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

RULE 13:

The County Republican Executive Committee Chairman or his/her designee shall serve as the Delegation Chairman and will be responsible for coordinating the distribution and collection of their respective county’s ballots in conjunction with the Tellers Committee. In order to facilitate an efficient distribution of ballots, the Delegation Chairman may appoint one or more delegates to assist in distributing and collecting ballots within the delegation. At the conclusion of the Presidential candidate presentations, and upon the instruction of the State Chairman or his designee, the Tellers Committee will distribute the ballots to each Delegation Chairman. Once all ballots have been distributed, fifteen minutes will be allowed for delegates to vote their ballots. Once the balloting is completed it is the responsibility of the Delegation Chairman to collect and return the ballots to the tellers committee. The Tellers will bring the ballots to a pre-designated, secure area for tabulation. Following the complete count of all of the ballots, the Tellers will inform State Chairman of the official results and the county by county results.

RULE 14:

Due to limited space in the Convention Hall, marching in the aisles will not be allowed. Delegates must remain in front of their seats during demonstrations.

RULE 15:

Free-standing or carried signs are allowed, but must not be so placed as to block necessary fire exit or impede normal convention floor circulation. Signs may be placed only in designated areas. Nothing shall be posted on, nailed, screwed or otherwise attached to columns, walls and floors or to other parts of the building or furniture in accordance with the venue contract. No sign shall exceed 2 X 3 feet and must be handheld and not contain any attachments such as handle, stakes, or posts, unless pre-approved by the RPOF.

RULE 16:

The balloting at the convention shall be conducted on a “one delegate one vote” basis. The Delegation Chairman shall be responsible for announcing the number of votes cast during the roll call. All voting will be cast and tallied. The county Chairman’s announcement is for effect only.

RULE 17:

The winner of the straw-vote will be announced as soon as possible after the voting has been completed.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Does this look anything like what's happening where you are? It's a live feed out of Florida right now.
If not, I'll keep scanning the sats.

ETA:
I know it's a meet & greet pre-debate thing, but is it in Orlando? Looks like Bachman is up now.. and she just mentioned P5...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Just ran into Newt Gingrich on the escalator. Got a pic to upload in a few. I'm on my way to see paul speak at 4 pm. Perry isn't speaking until Sat morning. Security has now shown up in force. Metal detectors going up atentrance to auditorium. I gotta say, some of the delegates appear ....... let's say.... unsophisticated.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Edited out the obvious

Looks like Romney's up next.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

I am in that exact spot right now. Mitt romney and his wife are directly to my right and he is coming onto stage now. Got a great pic and a handshake from his wife!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Cool, I found ya... remember these cameras will be sending live all afternoon too, and it's a live satellite feed not shown on the MSM.

They also pan to the crowd when nobody's speaking, so you can wave to ATS.

I'll be recording the whole thing.

lol what color is your shirt.. I have the crowd now.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

This venue is a ballroom across from the convention center. Don't. Have my laptop now, just droid and camera. I will upload these pics when I get back to the media room. This is a "faith & freedom coalition" event. Very small and intimate setting!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Next to rope,, front right, black pants and jacket, bright red shirt, silver tie, camera around neck, lol.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Ron paul speaking now. Santorum was a pretty big hit with crowd.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join