It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran and YOU agree on Something! Hey Conservatives and Rick Perry - Start Clapping

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by ColoradoJens

if some people around here get their way we can add that last one to our own list...

Those are your words not mine.

Oh yes, they are mine, and I meant it. Curious what this has to do with the above comments?

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

OK I'll give you a quick run down....

I replied to benrl here....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by SLAYER69

Because it is a moral issue, not a political one.

Therein lies the Achilles heel of this non comparison between the US and Iran/North Korea....

In Iran/North Korea the Government puts their Citizens to death [Mostly for political reasons]. Here in the US the "Citizens" of each State decided by vote whether their State Governments should put people to death for crimes such as Murder. The Citizens themselves decided by voting if they want to have a death penalty in THEIR State or not.

Not all States have the Death penalty.
The Citizens of those States which do not have a death penalty opted out by vote.

Huge Difference Between how and why the US has the Death penalty and Iran/North Korea!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you replied to me here

Originally posted by benrl

Because it is a moral issue, not a political one.

Therein lies the Achilles heel of this non comparison between the US and Iran/North Korea....

In Iran/North Korea the Government puts their Citizens to death [Mostly for political reasons]. Here in the US the "Citizens" of each State decided by vote whether their State Governments should put people to death for crimes such as Murder. The Citizens themselves decided by voting if they want to have a death penalty in THEIR State or not.

Not all States have the Death penalty.
The Citizens of those States which do not have a death penalty opted out by vote.

Huge Difference Between how and why the US has the Death penalty and Iran/North Korea!

Yes, these countries kill political opponents...They kill MANY more for murder, rape, robbery, and homosexuality - if some people around here get their way we can add that last one to our own list...

CJ

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I replied here

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
Yes, these countries kill political opponents...They kill MANY more for murder, rape, robbery, and homosexuality - if some people around here get their way we can add that last one to our own list...

For Murder? Yes
For Rape? No unless it's of a young defenseless child by a sexual predator then HELL YES..

Robbery and Homosexuality? I think you are confusing us with Iran and North Korea. Nice bait but simply doesn't fly here in the States I wouldn't vote for that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you replied with the following....

For Murder? Yes
For Rape? No unless it's of a young defenseless child by a sexual predator then HELL YES..

Robbery and Homosexuality? I think you are confusing us with Iran and North Korea. Nice bait but simply doesn't fly here in the States I wouldn't vote for that.

Slayer - I must have misread your post - I am saying in IRAN they kill murderers, rapists, thieves and Homosexuals -not here in the States...

CJ

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I replied with...

if some people around here get their way we can add that last one to our own list...

Those are your words not mine.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Hi Slayer,

thanks, I can read. Perhaps there is a miscommunication but I am still trying to figure out what your last comment means...again, yes these countries put people to death for the reasons listed...yes?
No issues there...
Do some people here want to add homosexuals to the list in the US? If you say no you are lying to yourself.
Just depends on the "morality" of the day, doesn't it? I said it and meant it - not sure what is not clear.
Just because you may have a false sense of superiority in our bogus legal system does not make it right.

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

reply to post by paraphi

How is it misleading when the end result is the same? Are you so sure innocents don't die in the US via a FLAWED legal system? I find it telling how we can argue somehow the west (US) is more justified in murdering people than others.

No legal system is flawless, yet to compare the US legal system where the death penalty is applied - alongside all the checks, scrutiny and transpareny and the Iranian model is (yes) misleading. The fact that the evidence is in the public domain is a telling difference.

I have said that I think capital punishment is wrong and state santioned murder. You'll not find me arguing against you on that. Yet to compare Iran and the US is silly.

PS the "west" as defined as North America, Australasia and Europe et is generally anti-capital punishment. I think the US is the exception.

Regards
edit on 23/9/2011 by paraphi because: correct typo

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I happen to agree with the death penalty. I lived 4 blocks from a rail road track in rural Texas. We locked all the doors and dead bolts. Kept the big dog in the house at night, and loaded guns handy.

en.wikipedia.org...

Ángel Maturino Reséndiz terrorized us for over 2 years. The preacher and his wife were only 25 miles from us.
This man was executed according to the laws of Texas. If Texas would have not done it, he would have been tried in other states with the same results. Just my opinion.

Death Penalty The imposition of a death sentence in Texas results in an automatic direct appeal to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, the state's highest criminal tribunal (the intermediate Texas Court of Appeals is bypassed), which examines the record for trial error.

My religion does not support the death penalty I must disagree with it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
If it is a feel like we are in the same league as Iran, I say no. If someone does not like the law it can be be repealed. It might seem strange for a life long registered Democrat.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I noticed in a graph earlier in the thread that states with the death penalty tend to have higher murder rates. Perhaps for those states there really is a wild-west law of nature situation in effect. I imagine that small communities, unlike the large metropoles that I live in and admire, have real problems with murderous bandits held accountable by no-one. Maybe it makes sense for some states to allow the public and the government to retaliate with great force.

The dispute between libs and cons on this issue is likely due to the fact that liberals tend to live in downtown, urban areas, and cons live further from the metropole. If cities were autonomous and separate from the state and the federal governments, maybe this conflict wouldn't arise. A separate law for the city and the country would benefit everyone.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

To some extent that argument may be true. I still find it ironic that conservatives, who often espouse christian leanings, favor killing people.

Some up to date info: 2010 we made the top ten per usual.

The United States ranks highly on the list of countries that impose the death penalty. Although the number of executions in 2010 is down slightly from 2009 and significantly from the mid-90s, The United States still executed dozens of people in 2010. Amnesty writes, "The United States of America (USA) continued to be the only executioner in the Americas in 2010 and executed 46 prisoners." While the majority of Americans still express support for the death penalty, a recent CBS News/New York Times Poll shows that the number of people in favor of the death penalty is at a 20-year low.

State sponsored executions

CJ

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Papagrune

Ah, well it is hard for me to understand and I'm not a lifelong democrat, so there goes that one.
Laws can be repealed and they can be changed to add more crimes, ways of killing them etc.
Here is the florida legislator who wants the firing squad back.

Drake, a Republican, said the idea came to him after having a conversation with a constituent at a Waffle House over the legal battles associated with the Sept. 28 execution of Manuel Valle.

Bring back the firing squad

Edit to add: Same msm source, same page - man wrongly convicted - lucky he wasn't sent to the chair! Full on misconduct and lying by the DA. With such watertight judicial process, no way an innocent person (your dad, mom, brother, sister) might die by the hand of the state, right? Oh yes, but we are America and that NEVER happens, eh?

In filings before state District Judge Sid Harle, the Innocence Project has alleged misconduct by Ken Anderson, now a sitting judge in Williamson County just north of Austin, who was the county's district attorney at the time, and prosecuted Morton's case. The charges could lead to the state bar taking disciplinary action against Anderson, or Harle himself possibly urging state and federal prosecutors to investigate, said Barry Scheck, the Innocence Project's co-founder.

Lucky it was only life imprisonment -at least he had a chance

CJ
edit on 13-10-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join