It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The markets are crashing! The markets are crashing!!!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JamesGC

Yes thankfully. OUR biggest concern is when China's demand for our natural resources dies and the mining industry goes with it, I have heard of bulk lay offs out west though the industry remains strong.

If/when TSHTF and the stock market crashes- the mass of fertile soil of the Victorian father land shall provide..hopefully

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

Gold has taken a big hit today, down over $43 an ounce on the spot market., This decline was to be expected, and even welcomed.

It’s a fact — no bull market goes straight up. We need consolidations and pullbacks, not only for the general health of the market, but for opportunities to get into our targeted positions at value prices.

However, what is disappointing is what happened after the Federal Reserve officially announced what is being called “Operation Twist,” in which it will shed some of its shorter-dated bonds for longer-dated ones, an effort to reduce supply and increase demand of the latter. (By doing so, the Fed’s expectation is the price of those long-term bonds will rise, lowering the yields, which in turn drives down long-term interest rates on mortgages, car loans and the like.)

Operation Twist will be a failure, I have no doubt. It’ll do nothing to help the economy.

But more tellingly, when Operation Twist was announced yesterday, the stock market reacted with a swift and deep drop. That tells me the recent market rally was based on an expectation the Fed would rev up the virtual printing presses again for more “quantitative easing,” which is fuel for short-term market gains (but also for massive inflationary conflagration in the long run).

Yes, the expectation was for the Fed to save the day — for the big wigs on Wall Street, at least! But it didn’t happen, at least not yet.

You don’t need a long memory to recall the market rallied on QE2 into the second quarter of 2011. Yet, it is now obviously clear in hindsight that the economy was in bad shape and slowing by the first quarter of the year, conditions that continue today. In other words, when all was said and done, QE2 did nothing for the economy other than create a lot of Wall Street bonuses!

What that screams to me, however, is bargains are underfoot. The bull market in gold is ongoing, and gold-mining stocks are very cheap when compared to the price of bullion, which remains over $1,700 an ounce.

Meanwhile, the gold stocks do need some overall market stability, a stock market that remains relatively stable or at least only gradually declines. When the Dow drops 400 points in a day, it instills panic and people throw out the good stocks with the bad.

Here’s the good news, though. In my analysis, I believe we are nearing a panic bottom. Whenever you begin to see that the only things going up in price are the U.S. dollar, U.S. Treasurys, and the Japanese yen, that is always the sign of full-on-panic mode, and that you’re nearing a bottom.

Keep in mind, gold tends to get smashed near a bottom, because people are selling everything in a dash for cash. Say as a large investor, you get a margin call on your Dow stock or more aggressive holdings; you’ll then sell gold to raise capital to meet that margin call.

This “forced liquidation” tends to be a sign that we’re near the end of something in terms of the selling environment, not at the start.

Everyone seems to be blaming this selloff on the European debt crisis. However, what people fail to note is other than Greece, the other so-called PIIGS (Portugal Ireland, Italy and Spain) have interest rates that are lower than their highs of the summer.

So the market is not moving down solely based on the issues facing Europe. All in all, I think the market is very oversold and will rally shortly.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Guys, here's the transcript of an email conversation I just had with a financial strategist I know (not an ATS subscriber, a qualified, practicing strategist) :

ME:

Hi mate how are you?

What is going on with the Dow Jones etc.? It looks like it's plummeting by the minute (though I'm no economist) do you reckon we're seeing the first sign of rats leaving the ship?

PAUL:

HI mate

going very well

looking forwrad to Motley Crue tomorrow night.

The volatility you are seeing is due the money flowing out of equities and into the so called safe haven of US treasuries.

Investors run to the hills at any smell of fear.

If you currently hold good quality companies we are not selling but looking at picking up some good LONG TERM bargains.

We are dollar cost averaging into the market over the next 6 months (ie $100,000 divided by $16k purchases each month)

Cheers

Paul

Just thought I'd share the opinion of someone who (I'm assuming) has more credentials than most, if not all of us in the field.

EDIT: We= Australia.

edit on 22/9/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
Listen up folks. I'm on another forum where someone posted a financial report - the sort you pay for. But it's not rocket science. The markets are tanking. Big institutions are taking their money out of banks. The ordinary person on the street will follow. We could see certain governments going down. So make your preps. Your job is not secure, your pension is not secure, your benefits are not secure, your savings are not secure. The only thing that matters is what you can touch and eat. So get your supplies up now.

Hmmmm...wondering about these guys:

You think the US is toxic
Whewwww...scratch n sniff dear friends...they stink too!
edit on 9/23/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Also FYI: ASX has rebounded strongly and looks set to finish the day in positive territory. Long Term valuations are grossly undervalued!

ASX= Australian Stock Exchange
edit on 23/9/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Moodys cuts 8 greek banks outlooks!!!!!!

Oh, noes..... here we go!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
Also FYI: ASX has rebounded stthing up rongly and looks set to finish the day in positive territory. Long Term valuations are grossly undervalued!

No disrespect, but that market is kind of insignificant compared to the US or EU etc., (correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that I am)....but hey, every penny counts right?

Glad to see somethings
BTW, if I had to bet my money on the ASX, I would have my money on the Yellow Bottles....don't even ask me about that...I may incriminate myself here in the US

Also, Greece is the least of anyone's worries...you all better start looking at Italy
Serious silent problems lurking around those parts for the EU...just saying.
edit on 9/23/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: just because

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

fundementals of the aussie stocks are still pretty good, but i wouldn't be in any kind of market
at least until we find out weather greece goes kaboom, or any of the others for that matter
the only exposure to the stockmarket directly is my superannuation, which is worth diddly squat
but hey, those that wan't to make money and don't mind the risk thats ok just don't bitch to
everyone when you loose. we wouldn't be sitting so pretty without a mining boom. wonder weather
WA is thinking of independance right now, just cut the dead weight and run. NSW would be caput,
so would TAS, but if it came to it VICTORIA the greatest of the state could go it alone.

sorry just BSing, we need china, but at the end of the day we could go back to producing food
and wool( do people still wear wool? I'll just ask NZ). we've got uranium, iron ore, copper, gold
natural gas and coal seam gas (little bit of a touchie issue) not to mention wheat, rice and cotton(why we
don't produce more hemp is beyond me mutch better than those more water dependant crops)
any way, she'll be right mate!
edit on 23-9-2011 by wondera because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Just thought I'd share the opinion of someone who (I'm assuming) has more credentials than most, if not all of us in the field.

EDIT: We= Australia.

edit on 22/9/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

Appreciate the heads
Simply just not true however. Better be careful out there as we all should be. Assuming is why everyone is going broke...too much FELONIOUS pillow talk that will empty your pockets in a matter of hours.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Also FYI: ASX has rebounded stthing up rongly and looks set to finish the day in positive territory. Long Term valuations are grossly undervalued!

No disrespect, but that market is kind of insignificant compared to the US or EU etc., (correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that I am)....but hey, every penny counts right?

Glad to see somethings
BTW, if I had to bet my money on the ASX, I would have my money on the Yellow Bottles....don't even ask me about that...I may incriminate myself here in the US

Also, Greece is the least of anyone's worries...you all better start looking at Italy

To be honest, the US and EU are insignificant to ME in my part of the world.

Haha as for yellow bottles, if you're referring to beer then they're brown and an absolute pillar of the Aussie economy
Only the yuppies really drink imported beer because they think it makes them fancier or whatever...for my money- VB (Victoria Bitter) & Carlton Draught offer the best drop on earth.

Being Friday and nearly time to finish work with my MIGHTY FIGHTIN' HAWTHORN HAWKS playing Collingwood for a spot in the Grand Final I may need to self medicate with a dozen stubbies! For my yankee and assorted international cousins, stubbies= beer in a bottle as opposed to 'tinnies' or 'tins' being canned beer.

For a hard earned thirst..the best cold beer is Vic!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

anytime someone says don't ask i automatically wanna know. little yellow bottles-yellow cake (uranium)? not sure but hey.
I think i got the wrong end of the stick their.
VB and calton are now british, 12billion dollars to buy, you think that 4billion beers would be sold in the year?
ASX down by a lot it looks like they got hit by the news of the greek banks because after 2 it was all down hill
it had made a pretty good recovery for most of the day after an early drop.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by wondera

fundementals of the aussie stocks are still pretty good, but i wouldn't be in any kind of market
at least until we find out weather greece goes kaboom, or any of the others for that matter
the only exposure to the stockmarket directly is my superannuation, which is worth diddly squat
but hey, those that wan't to make money and don't mind the risk thats ok just don't bitch to
everyone when you loose. we wouldn't be sitting so pretty without a mining boom. wonder weather
WA is thinking of independance right now, just cut the dead weight and run. NSW would be caput,
so would TAS, but if it came to it VICTORIA the greatest of the state could go it alone.

sorry just BSing, we need china, but at the end of the day we could go back to producing food
and wool( do people still wear wool? I'll just ask NZ). we've got uranium, iron ore, copper, gold
natural gas and coal seam gas (little bit of a touchie issue) not to mention wheat, rice and cotton(why we
don't produce more hemp is beyond me mutch better than those more water dependant crops)

Ahhh mate! You are bang on! Victoria= the greatest state of all! Under the eureka flag we stand united in defiance! To be honest with ourselves, seeing the demise of New South Wales is the dream of every self respecting Victorian is it not?

I must agree, our 'she'll be right attitude' is definitely a term of endearment that has seen us through thick and thin when the yanks and Brits have sent us in to some of the most hellish scenarios in the two World Wars only for the spirit of the diggers to see it through and come up trumps

P.S Aussies, I'm about to start an 'Australia Matters' thread in the regional politics forum. Let's banter about our own backyard- first conspiracy up for discussion is last years grand final draw

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

VB and calton are now british, 12billion dollars to buy, you think that 4billion beers would be sold in the year?

I know, what a sad day...if those bastards change the recipe of our beloved drops I'm predicting riots of a scale that would make Englands look like a schoolyard dispute!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

(why we

Think 1937 Marijuana Tax Act...there's your answer. Just investigate it....it'll all come together. I'm with you though. Only two (maybe even one (1) via the use/transport of hemp seeds which is Federally illegal) companies in all of the US allowed to LEGALLY produce hemp to this day

Think Prescott Bush, Mellon, DuPont etc...., you'll see when you dig deep enough. It was the Timber Industry's so called time to take over. Go investigate it

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Hemp is a good fiber, is fast growing and require less water to grow than cotton. I would have thought
the ecconomincs of it would get people interested, but until water becomes too valuable to waste
on non-sustainible types of agriculture it'll have to wight. Hemp is not ileagle in australia
but i thrink the trouble is just an image of hippies in combie vans circling around the farm smokin
up puts the farmers off ( tend to be a little conservative). you'd have to smoke a hole pair of hemp jeans
to get high.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

anytime someone says don't ask i automatically wanna know. little yellow bottles-yellow cake (uranium)? not sure but hey.
I think i got the wrong end of the stick their.
ASX down by a lot it looks like they got hit by the news of the greek banks because after 2 it was all down hill
it had made a pretty good recovery for most of the day after an early drop.

Ha...ha...no seriously, the product is called Yellow Bottle and it's in a yellow bottle (Google Yellow Bottle Nutrients, the Aussies are awesome when it comes to this sort of thing, like what they did with Phosphoload) and it's an Australian Fertilizer used primarily for the growth/flowering of marijuana...(amongst other things). It started as an American based company, but is made in Australia because the US kind of banned it. Hey, I live in So Cal....and I kind of know about this sort of stuff...just saying....It works miracles

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Hemp is a good fiber, is fast growing and require less water to grow than cotton. I would have thought
the ecconomincs of it would get people interested, but until water becomes too valuable to waste
on non-sustainible types of agriculture it'll have to wight. Hemp is not ileagle in australia
but i thrink the trouble is just an image of hippies in combie vans circling around the farm smokin
up puts the farmers off ( tend to be a little conservative). you'd have to smoke a hole pair of hemp jeans
to get high.

Yes unfortunately, I have to agree. It''s too bad...it's my states main cash crop...and was once the major cash crop internationally bringing in billions. If we could just get back to that

In reality however, it has nothing to do with the image of hippies...who cares about that? Here in the US, they trick everyone into believing it's (hemp, marijuana) a problem when in fact they're just protecting their investments in Timber.

Who would legalize something you can't patent? I'll tell you what though...Washington D.C., is running a test program right now....and I'm in with my application. Passed round two...waiting for a decision as we speak. Besides The US Gov., has had a marijuana program offered to over 1000 (this number is now down to just a couple hundred) individuals for the past 25 + years where they send "certain individuals" marijuana on a monthly/yearly basis. The University of Michigan is their main lab/hub.

Check this out: D.C. MMP

They're allowing 10 licenses...I know what this is about. They're trying to figure out how to legalize it federally. If it happens (which it will) we will see the 10 Cultivation Centers awarded sole patents to Manufacture Medical Marijuana...just like the tobacco industry.
edit on 9/23/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Glad to see somethings

To be honest, the US and EU are insignificant to ME in my part of the world.

Haha as for yellow bottles, if you're referring to beer then they're brown and an absolute pillar of the Aussie economy
Only the yuppies really drink imported beer because they think it makes them fancier or whatever...for my money- VB (Victoria Bitter) & Carlton Draught offer the best drop on earth.

Being Friday and nearly time to finish work with my MIGHTY FIGHTIN' HAWTHORN HAWKS playing Collingwood for a spot in the Grand Final I may need to self medicate with a dozen stubbies! For my yankee and assorted international cousins, stubbies= beer in a bottle as opposed to 'tinnies' or 'tins' being canned beer.

For a hard earned thirst..the best cold beer is Vic!

No, no, no....didn't mean to offend you. I'm not talking about beer mate

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

No, no, no....didn't mean to offend you. I'm not talking about beer mate

None taken at all my friend! I've now left work and am sitting at home knocking back a fee Carlton Draught tinnies in preparation for tonight's AFL (Aussie rules footy) finals match in which my beloved Hawthorn Hawks are playing for a spot in the grand final! Wish us luck and enjoy your weekend

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

If/when TSHTF and the stock market crashes-

So in other words, you dont think the stocks will keep falling today?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join