It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparently my account was deleted??? (back after a week)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Ok so all this mess started when I upgraded my Windows 7 PC to a linux box. I lost the majority of my passwords for all my frequent accounts on various websites, but since I use variations of the same password for everything they were easy to guess and save back into chrome. Not the case here. They assign you a password, which wouldn't be a problem if ATS actually got back to me....

They did not! I contacted them through the website and their sister website Above Network or something like that with this email: Hello, I have have recently updated my computer and lost my password for my account. I have been trying to get a password request for the past two days so I can continue commenting with my account on your boards. If you can please check the status of my account and get back to me, much would be appreciated!

That was on Sept 15 was trying to get a password for two days before that

Finally today I get a bunch of emails from ATS changing my password multiple times and stating that my account was recovered. The email looked like this:

Someone (maybe you) with an IP address of: ____________
has requested that an AboveTopSecret.com account name
associated with this email account be sent.

The Recovered username is: "jjf3rd77"
You can now go to this URL and request a new password:

What was going on with my account, is what I would like to know. Has anybody had this happen to them?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Lesson for next time you decide to change OS. Its not an upgrade. Only if you keep going from windows to windows is it an upgrade. Save passwords, and don't use a browser to do so. (Changing OS is effectively wiping your hard drive) Usually most sites offer a "forgot my password" option which means they change your password to something random and mail that to the email address you used to register with originally. But again, do not trust your web browser with passwords. Its bad security. Write it down on paper or use a "dedicated" password manager as I do. (KeePassX) Save that file to an external disk or USB stick if necessary.

Maybe there was a delay in the mail servers of either ATS or your ISP, it does happen. Mailing admin accounts is not a good idea as they are usually busy enough without worrying about users who lost their passwords.

At the end of the day (and not to try and sound condescending), you lost your password through your own fault, albeit unwittingly. To expect an admin scramble is unrealistic.

And welcome back to ATS! Hope the above advice helped.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hate IE, if using firefox like most people who are not 24/7 Facebookers etc it is best that you download mozbackup to save all your bookmarks, passwords etc You really shouldn't be complaining about switching OS from windows to linux, not saving your information and then complaining that your info is nowhere to be seen. Oh and restoring passwords through email is usually easy, but there have been a few strange times where it was a very big hassle, hence better to just save them.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I'm sorry for complaining about losing my password, but and I don't need a lesson about how to protect my own passwords online. I am a computer major so I kinda know a bit more about this stuff. I was just shocked that it took this long for them to get back me that's all. Most password resets are automatic or take a day or two and that's what i expected.

But I hear that the servers were acting up
edit on 23-9-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
I'm sorry for complaining about losing my password, but and I don't need a lesson about how to protect my own passwords online. I am a computer major so I kinda know a bit more about this stuff. I was just shocked that it took this long for them to get back me that's all. Most password resets are automatic or take a day or two and that's what i expected.

But I hear that the servers were acting up
edit on 23-9-2011 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

You are a computer major + you were and probably still are using same passwords for many sites + you have no backups = A Major Fail

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
dont you love it when all the elite people who never in their lives screw anything up and who never ever need help with an app tell you in the most polite way you are a dumb a$$ and you dont belong......

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

Exactly, First why not use a basic variations of the same password for multiple sites? its not like anybody ever is going to find out. I'm not an idiot going around telling people my password.

It's not a major fail on my part its actually ATS. Because ATS refuses to allow people to make up their own password. If I did I would have remembered my password, unlike the bunch of letter and number BS that they assign you. I only just forgot to write down the password or save it somewhere. But I guess that NEVER happens to people on here.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Sorry, I wasn't trying to preach or give lessons, just help a little. You are right about the password requests though, they usually are immediate. Ah well, it happens but you are back in now. Good luck!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Sorry, I wasn't trying to preach or give lessons, just help a little. You are right about the password requests though, they usually are immediate. Ah well, it happens but you are back in now. Good luck!

perfectly understandable. You don't know me and I don't know you. But I'm sure we've all been in these types of situations. I hear the servers were acting up over the past week.

Who loves the new ads all over the place??

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
the mods were hiding in their bunkers because of UARS, Crazy Ants and Elenin today there was a small window of safety affording them the opportunity to reply

thats my guess anyway

edit on 9/24/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

As for being in that situation before, I was, before I actually used software to remember passwords for me. Like you I started out using the same password everywhere mainly out of laziness. Then one site forced me to change the password and wouldn't let me use the old one. Thats when the trouble started hehehe. It took me a little while longer till I did something about that problem and many clicks on "I forgot my password" links.

Ads? What ads? Oh crap...I mean of course I love those ads. I disabled AdBlockPlus recently but still don't see anything yet, fine by me.
Its not like I have any money to buy anything anyway so imho ads are a complete waste of time, apart from the fact that ATS gets some money for it.

PS You can change your password once you are here, no idea about the requirements though, 1 letter, 1 number, 1 special character, etc. (Via the Tools menu, then password)
edit on 24/9/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord said something about this the other day.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I guess they had some issues with the email system.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Why do you think we don't allow you to make up your own password?

Go to "TOOLS" (tab on top of every page), click on "PASSWORD", enter a new password and hit "submit".

Springer...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Pass wind in an incorrect fashion and a mod turns up....

When someone needs some clarification it is a different matter...

edit
ok im going to eat some humble pie... springer just turned up......
edit on 24-9-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thanx I didn't know that.

new topics

top topics

join