It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aaaaa… Look at the cute little Bear…Come here little fellow… That’s a good boy.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

BEARS

All bears can be dangerous…. The black bear seldom presents any real hazard…. Sows with
cubs have attacked people when they believed that the cubs were threatened, but unprovoked attacks are extremely rare…

edit on 22-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

Not to hijack your thread,but this reminded me of something that happened a years ago. My family and I were vacationing in the mountains,in pa. And there was this bear that kept coming around,digging in the trash and what not.Scared us silly,bein from the city we weren't used to dealing with bears.Eventually we got brave,and sat on the front porch and watched her,she would do all kinds of 'bluff' charges towards us.Meaning she'd run right up to the stairs,then turn away right before she came up themWell,one night we decided to bring the dog on the porch with us. The bear would casually stroll by and stick her nose up and smell when she'd pass where he was.Too make a long story short,he got away from us and went after her,and she went flying up a tree haha. He sat at the bottom of the tree for a long time,just watching her.And the bear was making a strange noise,almost like a hissing type sound. Its really the only time I ever got that close to a bear

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

lol!! little guy came back to kick some bear a$$!

see the big guy loose his sh^^t? the little one must have whispered something in his ear!

humans have no chance against them.

they could slap us in half.

edit on 23-9-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Id be more concerned with elk or moose up in mountain country, they can be veyr very aggressive......

I spent 10 years hunting up in the Idaho area, and Oregon Cascade area.......ive seen bear many times.......

But none so much as paid much mind to me as i removed myself from their area.........

Elk on the other hand..........thats another story........and they get very very pissy

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
i lived in routt county CO, for about 20yrs.

a lot of other rural places too.

never saw a bear in the wild but i did film a couple of couger cubs playing with my neighbors laundry in the early 90's.
used to hear the mom all the time. never saw her.

it was my father-in laws cam so i don't have the pics/vid, but it DID happen! lol!! thanksgiving, they were up from denver. hence the cam and up early.

i also had a friend who had a cougar chopped up in his pick-ups tool box. i expressed my disgust to him.

he said his bud killed it.

also hit an elk on the road with my subaru, unfortunately it died and i didn't. it did total my car, drove home with no radiator fluid.

ended up with quills in my rear mud flap from a huge porcupine i just missed one nite too.

been to yellowstone and would NOT mess with any bears, even in NH and VT.

i'm not a survivalist but i'm not stupid. i think some people don't watch enough national geographic or animal planet.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
it also might be a good idea not to get between a bear and his prey???

www.roanoke.com...

there's a scarier story, coming from russia, so not sure if it's true or not....
but....I still feel unnerved whenever I think of that one, so I'll just leave that one alone....

at least this one has a happy ending.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
When I lived in Kodiak, of course, encounters with bears were pretty inevitable.

Still, in all that time, only once did we actually have a bear do the roar. Luckily, we were on a cliffside, and could easily descend (whereas it was too steep for it)...

Still though, was pretty tense..as Kodiaks are pretty known for their size, and this one was an adult.

Mostly, we'd usually see the juveniles more...and usually, they'd be content to leave you alone as long as you didn't get too close (which we were happy to give them a wide berth)....

The loud noise bit is the best though, as usually, they'll move away from you...especially if a metallic rattling sound (for some reason). Still, the better solution was to simply let them be....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I've heard that if you're in grizzly country, and mountain biking, do not use a frame protector. This allows your chain to freely rattle against the frame and make enough noise to get the bear moving away from you. I've also heard that bear spray is worthless and that lifting your bike straight up over your head and shaking it (to rattle the chain), is the best defense for a mountain biker. What do you think?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
ahhh.......look at the cute little bear!!!

www.wjla.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thestargateisreal

I've heard that if you're in grizzly country, and mountain biking, do not use a frame protector. This allows your chain to freely rattle against the frame and make enough noise to get the bear moving away from you. I've also heard that bear spray is worthless and that lifting your bike straight up over your head and shaking it (to rattle the chain), is the best defense for a mountain biker. What do you think?

I've been surprised by a big Griz a few times... most often their just as stunned to see me as I am them... normally we just kind of eye each other... only once did I get charged.... Drew my side arm and fired a warning shot in the air... he stopped woofed and stomped off into the brush... my closest call... surprised I didn't need to change my undies too!

holding your bike infront you and rattling it might stop a Black bear but not a Griz... of course if your lucky he could trip on or attack the bike while you run like hell

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I live in the black bear populated region. I've never managed to find one while mountain biking, just snakes. I do not like snakes! I'm not really scared of black bears. They're not that big. With the exception of one black bear, I've only seen them while they're running away quickly. I think it must be somewhat difficult to actually find a black bear. The one that I saw at about 10 feet away was a mother bear and two cubs. It was a very dry summer and she came into our yard and walked up to me like she wanted food. I just froze in my tracks, and then after staring at her for what felt like hours, I told her to go to the river, and that's what she did. I've never been scared that badly since, but at least she seemed to understand that the river just a few paces to my right was a better choice for food than a human.

I think throwing the bike at them, or using it as a barrier between you and them is a last resort. I've heard stories of men lifting their bikes over their head, to make them look taller, shaking it and shouting to keep grizzlies at bay. I'm not sure that they can prove that they actually scared the bear, or if the bear never had any intention of bothering them to begin with.
edit on 27-9-2011 by Thestargateisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Bears do snap after they reach their touching limit.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I've seen a pack of wolves hiding in the woods near a portapotty in may after a hard winter, they were really skinny and desperate looking. I also came across a huge black bear once that was pearing through windows on a rig camp I was staying at in the far north of BC.

Wild animals are not pets and should be treated with respect and avoided if at all possible

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

edit on 4-10-2011 by redstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I live in the central US, in a mildly rural area, about 10 miles outside of a town of about 15000 folks, This is a populated area of 3 acre plots with an occasional hobby farm of about 8 or so acres like mine sprinkled in between, we have traffic on our gravel road at all hours of the day and night, and I have big dogs.
Really there is a point to all of this, I swear.

Two nights ago or so, 9/7/11 I think. I heard my 89 lb german shepherd start to howl, its 10:00 at night and Im padding around in my jammys, so I go to the front door to talk to him-quiet him down, and the minute I opent he door Im hit with a cacaphony of barking and howling. Coyotes, so I grab a spot light sitting near the door, and open it, my dog runs in and where I aimed about 100ft away are a dozen or so Coyotes, and some of them are BIG, milling around outside my front gate. When I hit them with the light, they scatter, but my dog wont even consider going back out(chicken).

Ive lived here since 1972, My house was the very first house on this gravel road, even in the area. I have to be honest I have never seen animals doing what they have been in the last several month, they are so close, they never come in this close. We have also seen in the last few months a small bear, supposed a honey bear they are called, and two cougars, one traveling so close to the hosue that you could hear it scream, and we found the tracks the next morning. Funny thing is, we dont usually get bears, let alone ones that let you see them, nor cougars, although they have been showing up in my state more and more lately.

Perosnally, Im wondering whats up(no not conspiracy, just something off thats bringing animals we dont normally see out into the open.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Rossa

Down here in Southeast Kansas I've seen some "BIG" coyotes.... every bit as big as your shepard...
in fact a neighbour lost a pair of kittens last week and we think coyotes got em...
I dont know what's up but there sure are a lot of this year

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join