It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aaaaa… Look at the cute little Bear…Come here little fellow… That’s a good boy.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

BEARS
One of the sad facts of living up in Wyoming very near to Yellowstone… was every year some park visitor got too close to the wildlife…The bears there have become road side beggars… knowing some poor sucker will toss out a sandwich or apple…and every year some bunny hugger will say something stupid like…”Honey… go stand next to the bear so I can get a picture!”… Every year game wardens are forced to put down a bear or elk or other poor innocent critter because of man’s stupidity….

All bears can be dangerous…. The black bear seldom presents any real hazard…. Sows with
cubs have attacked people when they believed that the cubs were threatened, but unprovoked attacks are extremely rare…

Black bears can be a nuisance. I have had black bears raid my food supplies and even break into my tent. I have had them steal moose meat from me. Black bears raid garbage containers and "panhandle" in many of the national parks. These half-tame bears are very dangerous because they have no natural fear of humans. I remember one particularly stupid incident of a black bear badly mauling a woman tourist. The woman was feeding the bear cookies while her husband
was filming the event, but the woman ran out of cookies and the bear became angry because his supply of cookies had suddenly been cut off. Me and that bad have one thing in common… we don’t like running out of cookies…

Typically… if a Griz see’s you first, you will never see him….however…

Grizzly bears (and in this I include the big Alaskan brown bear) and polar bears are much more dangerous and more aggressive than black bears. They are also much bigger and much stronger…

there’s an old joke about how you know what kind of bear is chasing you… climb a tree… if the bear climbs up after you, it’s a Black Bear… if the Bear knocks down the tree…It’s a Griz….

The polar bear is dangerous because he seldom, if ever, comes into contact with humans. Polar bears have actually come up to people from a great distance.
Grizzlies attack people with some regularity. The grizzly has been known to attack completely unprovoked. Some years ago one grizzly killed two young women in one of the big national parks while they were asleep in their sleeping bags.

Sows with cubs are more prone to attack than lone bears. If you ever accidentally come
between a sow grizzly and her cubs, she will attack. But a grizzly at a food site, such as a
winter-starved elk, is also dangerous. If the bear thinks that you are out there to steal his
food, he may come at you. More than one big-game hunter has been charged by a grizzly
that claimed the hunter's kill.

Of course a wounded grizzly is very dangerous. If he gets away into thick cover, the deck
becomes vastly stacked in his favor. I figure there is better than a fifty-fifty chance that
the hunter will be mauled or killed…. Bank on it

Both polar bears and grizzlies will also raid food caches if they come across them. But
they are not the raiders that the black bear is. This may be because they are not as
numerous as black bears and because they live in areas where large numbers of people
never venture…

No one should venture into bear country without being observant. If you see a bear, give
him a wide berth. Go ahead and watch him, but from a safe distance with binoculars…
When traveling in the grizzly country of the western states, western Canada, and Alaska,
I would use binoculars to glass the countryside whenever possible before walking
through it…

If the cover is too thick, make a noise as you walk … talk, sing, whistle…. Some hikers carry tin cans filled with pebbles to rattle…. Even a small bell tied to your harness.. Nearly every bear will run if he gets a chance, if he's warned that a human is present. When walking in thick cover, as on a forest trail, look at the trail for grizzly tracks. If fresh tracks are present, be extra cautious. Both grizzly and black bears have very poor eyesight…. Their senses of smell and hearing are excellent, perhaps better than that of a white-tailed deer or an elk…. Ladies, it’s not a good idea to venture into Bear Country during that time of month…

Bears nearly always begin their charge with a roar. There is no mistaking their intention.
Their lips are furled and their jaws are wide open. Incidentally, the old trick of playing
dead when being mauled by a bear seems to work. There are a number of incidents when
this has saved the victim's life.

The fact that bears can be dangerous should not deter anyone from venturing into bear
country. If you exhibit a trace of caution and common sense, you will be in no danger.
Walking across the average city street presents greater danger than hiking in bear
country.

OTHER WILD LIFE
Deer, elk, caribou, moose, wild sheep, mountain goats, bison, cougars, and wolves present no danger. They are all very fearful of man…

Cougars and wolves have been known to follow people, but this seems to be largely due to curiosity. Actual attacks are rare…

My wife tells this story of me chasing a grown Badger trying to get him to turn around so I could get a photo… I got a dozen photos of Badger butt… But he wanted no part of that crazy human and led me on a merry chase…Never did get him to smile for the camera…

There are only two or three cougar attacks on record…

Similarly, there are very few wolf attacks on record and there is a strong probability that the attacking wolves were rabid…

Bull moose during the rutting season have been known to chase people, to attack horses, and even to attack automobiles and trains... But such incidents are very rare.
Bullwinkle’s in rut sometimes do unusual things… but I can recall doing unusual things when I
Too was amorously chasing some equally amorous young vixen…

edit on 22-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

ive heard if you can scratch them behind the ear before they eat you youll be ok

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have never understood the stupidity of some people. Yes bears are cool. No, I don't want to get anywhere near them.

BTW, Don't tell me deer are not dangerous DB!!! I saw that video of the deer kicking the crap out of the hunter!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
And do not go cow tipping and tip a bull.

When they get back up they are mad as hell, and they are faster than they look. I almost did not get away.

edit on 22-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Typically… if a Griz see’s you first, you will never see him….however…

Grizzly bears (and in this I include the big Alaskan brown bear) and polar bears are much more dangerous and more aggressive than black bears. They are also much bigger and much stronger…

For all those who doubt their power and strength watch the following. I uploaded this video to ATS a couple of years ago for a related topic.

(click to open player in new window)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I have never understood the stupidity of some people. Yes bears are cool. No, I don't want to get anywhere near them.

BTW, Don't tell me deer are not dangerous DB!!! I saw that video of the deer kicking the crap out of the hunter!

you mean this vid
youtu.be...

Got news for ya... that dear isn't trying to hurt that hunter... he's trying to hump the hunter...
Lots of hunters well spray pheromones... or urine taken from deer that are in estrus....

Naw that Buck was in deep "LIKE" of that poor confused hunter...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Yatahey ....

We have Black Bear here in NH. They're harmless....but they are hunted to keep the numbers down....I Had some Chili with Black Bear meat...I've also had Elk, Moose, Buffalo....all of which I've enjoyed eating but the Bear meat was more akin to chewing on leather !

There was a recent death of a Black Bear hunter in Idaho near the Canadian border who messed with a Grizzly Bear....hows the old saying go.....Payback is a Bitch ?!~!

I also like the term..."deadly Bear attack"....it's funny because who had the guns and first used deadly force to provoke the attack in the first place ?

LINCOLN COUNTY, Montana -- We are learning more about a deadly bear attack along the Idaho - Montana border. Authorities say a grizzly bear wounded by a black bear hunter later attacked and killed the hunter's 39-year-old partner Steve Stevenson. He was a member of a hunting party from Winnemucca, Nevada. The attack occurred about 10 a.m. On Frodai in a mountainous, heavily forested region in Lincoln County, Montana, near the Canadian border. Stevenson's hunting partner, 21-year-old Ty Bell, shot and wounded the young male grizzly, then the two hunters tracked the animal to an area of heavy cover. At that point, the wounded bear attacked and fatally injured Stevenson. Bell killed the animal with several shots. Idaho Fish and Game says it is important to know what you are hunting. They are even setting up a test online for hunters to take so they know the difference between black bears and grizzlies. Montana already has a test online that hunters have to take and pass before going out to hunt black bears. If you want to take the quiz it is free and you can find it at fwp.mt.gov...

www.localnews8.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
That was very informative and interesting, we don't have bears thank goodness. Give me our poisonous snakes and spiders and salty's any day!
Also, I thought, a timely and sensible warning for all those people who will be running for the hills soon.

s & f
x
a

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Watch out for Joe, a dog and a deer.

Joe, Dog, Deer and 911

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Thanks Daddy Bare, great info, as usual. Before I lived in a rural area, I was a city girl ignorant of the life saving and necessary respect needed for wildlife. I stupidly made 'friends' with some deer & you can probably guess the tragic results. I learned quickly. Here's a video from 2 days ago of fishermen 'hanging out' with a young bear in VA that will probably now need to be tracked and killed.
www.gofishn.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I came a crossed a couger on Vancouver Island back in the 70's. Beautiful animal. It didn't attack which surprised me. Guess I know why now. You didn't mention wolverines. Got anything on them?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

We do have black bear, but to see one is rare. Coyotes and wild boar has been more of a problem here. They are not native to this part of the country, causing damage to our forest and farm land.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Oddly enough, when dumb teenagers hike off into the woods, dam up a stream to make a swimming hole, and a black bear crunches through the brush to give it a test for them, one thing is apparent.

They like Grandma's oatmeal cookies a whole lot, but aren't too fond of Doritos.

When said youngsters (let's just call them idiots) get home, and realise how badly things could have gone, the gears begin to turn, and they try to come up with a scenario that may have gotten them out of such a mess.

After careful consideration, and meticulous role-playing, it was decided that the obvious solution is something that no hiker in bear country should ever be without.

The Bear Grenade

When confronted by such a predator, simply pop the top, scatter the contents, and run like hell.

(Then let me know if it works, as I've never actually tested it.)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Several comments here.

Yellowstone Park, 2 baby black bear cubs inside a culvert (round thingie in ditches that helps water pass under a drivable pathway), and 1 human Father with his camera, nose almost to the ground, hiney in the air, snapping pictures of the cubs about 2 feet away. Seemingly from nowhere, Momma Bear races to her cubs (FAST!). Car full of teenagers yelling, "Dad, get out of there!".

Me at the steering wheel, Dad runs faster than any of us ever saw him run, pops in the backend (pickup with a traveling camper ready for the Alaskan Highway back when it used to be made of rocks), closes the hatch.

Momma Bear comes straight to the camper, grabs the bumper in both paws and begins to shake the vehicle up and down, up and down. She didn't get the can of sardines open, that time anyway. Eventually, traffic started moving and I drove this battered sardine can onwards toward Alaska.

========================

Okay next comment. Survival was my "hobby" back in the 70's. Hanging food in bags, tied to ropes thrown over high tree limbs was supposed to keep your food safe from critters. But, bears can climb trees right? Black bears anyway. Seems that old survival trick is worthless in black bear country. Agree or disagree and why?

=======================
Last, the only grizzley I saw was stuffed in an Anchorage museum. He was like 12 foot tall at least! He was twice as tall as that poor Momma Black Bear.
edit on 22/9/2011 by Trexter Ziam because: === was too long and ran off the page - annoying

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Assateague National Seashore has this problem as it is covered with wild horses. There are other barrier islands with these as well.
These horses have been living on this island wildly for over 400 years. They are no where near domestic.
In fact, two stallions got into a fight in the middle of the road and one landed on the hood of my car.

Problem is, that people assume all horses are like the ones in the stables, and though the park service has huge neon yellow signs all over the place to not go near the wild horses, people walk up to pet them and feed them.

About one person each year is killed by a wild horse.

Last time I was there, I saw a mother give her kid a bag of carrots to "feed the ponies". Darwin is rampant when it comes to humans and wild animals.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
BTW, the scariest animal I have seen? A rabid ground hog. When you get close to rabies, it makes your skin crawl.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have to disagree about the elk not being dangerous. The ones that I have been seeing show no fear, they are almost aggressive. Now regarding bears, I don't like them. We just had one that climbed up on our porch swing trying to get some feeders that we have hanging way above their reach. Someone told me that the over abundant rains caused the leaves and such to mold, thus the wild life is creeping further into residential ares to eat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join