It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to spot an online agent

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

Sometimes I'll find a person on a comment section for 10+ hours flaming away at everyone with a shred of morals, logic etc...

Did you spend 10+ hours looking into these people?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It is not always easy to spot a disinfo agent. Sometimes the poster child is simply ignorant. Or stupid. Or dumb.
Take 911 for instance. If they stand by the OS, they are disinfo. Or ignorant, stupid, or dumb.
It really IS that simple.
Sometimes you have to establish a base of truth and simply move on, and ignore those that try to hold you back.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
after watching all the funny videos I just could not resist, forgive me phage

disclaimer: Phage you have my respect for the knowledge you possess but because of your actions you don't have my trust you can choose to look at this as flattery or you can choose to look at this as disrespect. the choice is yours
edit on 22-9-2011 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You'll find that I've been online here at times more than that over the last several days... Mainly because I am stationary here in a city that is not my home, and until after a convention assembly tomorrow night I will be here.

Does that make me an agent?

I enjoy spending time on ATS, does that make me something I'm not? Should people assume something about me that isn't true? Is that a really fair way to assess that?

Go ahead and think what you want... But I am most certainly not any kind of agent.

Now, I do have my own methods of identifying those who are, and for the most part they do not lurk... They seem to have an uncanny ability to show up at the most opportune times for them... And are more of a hit and run escape artist than a very long time lurker/poster.

After Saturday, I may not be around for a very long time... what does that mean???

edit on 22-9-2011 by Fractured.Facade because:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

that means ats is gunna suck

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

that means ats is gunna suck

You'll hear the cheers and celebration, even corks popping from champagne bottles when they know I'm gone.

Actually it was a great few days for me, good break.. Got to run a very enlightening thread in the Psychology and Metaphysics forum... Do some extensive compiling of research on a project of mine, and participate in many other discussions, especially one very related to my research project, listen to two ATS live shows, hang out in chat at times.... And generally do NOTHING.

Can't hang around forever, I've got important work to do, outside of ATS.

I'll be back! One day... Maybe.

*evil laughs*

edit on 22-9-2011 by Fractured.Facade because:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJDoggie84
reply to post by Suspiria

Yes, like I said, it doesn't work 100%... I treat it like a flag system... A person that posts 8+ hours is flagged as a possible agent, IMO...

PS I'm an agent! OK?

edit on 22-9-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: (no reason given)

So if it doesn't work 100% of the time... would care to give an estimate percentage how well you feel this does work?

PS ... I am my own agency and agent....lol

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

My experience has been that either extreme be it left or right...the fringes feel some sort of obligation to cram their opinions down the throat of anyone not equal to their level of extreme views.

Most of the people I know are a mix and ready to listen before parroting canned answers, which is what the whack jobs do.

As for paid agents, I think there are some but so far I have not U2U or board converse with anyone I suspected as being one. I haven't been around that long though, so most of you probably think I'M an agent. LOL

I have been known to spent 8+ hrs online and obsess on new things so badda boom badda bing...I am suspect I guess

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Dude You my friend are paranoid This is not the matrix there are no Agents per say.....You are calling people agents Just because they may have a different outlook than you.......Kerazy !!!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

s& f for JJDoggie84. just read a fun 5 pages, very enjoyable. i think you do make some valid points. as do many others; the poster who wrote of keywords / multiple keywords being red flagged particularly sticks in my mind.

OP, your comments re: back-checking comments section sounds logical. of course, that may also be a poster who is merely amusing their self that rolls from site to site in search of online entertainment. this may make it appear that a poster has haunted one site for an extended period.

a beautiful part of computers and the 'net is the world opened to those whom just years ago were limited to radio, television and shortwave communication. shut-ins, retirees, invalids, the unemployed, insomniacs and others may have the time and access to spend online but they may be mistaken as a disinfo-agent. likewise, such people may also choose to mislead others as well. false identity online is nothing new.

also, there are people who are under the influence of medication or alcohol, as well as people with strong personality traits, psychological problems and the mentally ill that make use of the internet. results will vary with user.

anyway, thanks for a fun thread

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

edit on 22-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer the "media man"...
You're something. You have talent, Slayer, I hope that in the end you feel you used it well.
Good night.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I actually FOR REAL spit out Coke reading that post.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
just go to any conspiracy website and find the guy who doesnt believe in any conspiracies, yet spends all of his time on the website, as if hes the universal guardian defender of truth deadset on disproving anything that might be considered conspiracy related. you can substitute "conspiracy" with any subject.

ill explain it like this. i myself am not at all interested in cooking....therefore you wont find me on any cooking forums running my mouth about how great fast food is.actually you wont find me on any cooking forums at all.

normal people have to pay $$$ for their monthly internet service, and have real jobs that take up the majority of their time. typically someone like that is not going to waste what little time and money they do have on a website they have no interest in.

This should be the OP, spot on.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

edit on 22-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
after reading this whole thread i am now certain everybody are agents incuding myself.

i would imagine agents don't just debunk, they also promote to mislead as well as debunk, that covers everyone right there. i seriously believe people suspect others of being agents because they do not agree with them or because they are challenging your beliefs to the point where you have no answers or your beliefs no longer stand up.

i believe there are people who are paid or who have an vested interest to influence opinions that could be termed as agents, i just do not see how anybody could tell who they are or are not. it is all simply guess work.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
***Notice***

As a school child, I always wondered about the Salem Witch Trials. How could such an otherwise resonablly intelligent community engage in such wild accusations and persecution of individuals with no basis in fact. Just simple personal hatered that became magnified and adopted by the community as some seemingly undeniable "fact".

We as a people and community should be both more savvy and intelligent to ever engage in such activity again...or so I thought at that time.

Both the Terms and Conditions and the Civility and Decorm that separates ATS from the flotsam of other website dictate that such a witch hunt should not happen. Yet here we are, removing posts and actioning members over the same such mentality that condemned many to death not so many years ago.

Let it be known that Post Bans and possible account terminations are next. Stick to the subject and not each other.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Thats fine and I agree....but my comment was OBVIOUSLY light-hearted. It wasn't a judgement and I personally like Phage's input. How was my light-hearted joke not civil? I called him a Super double triple agent....geez.
edit on 22-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

P.S. I starred you because the comment was spot on. Don't hold it against me.

Final edit: I see that it has been assumed to be a personal attack against Phage, I guess I can understand this. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I normally would challenge ANY authority figure (man, woman, alien, god whatever). but I am learning to choose my battles. The title of this thread is "How to spot an online agent" and all our deleted, censored responses were on topic. However I want to make it clear, I too like phage he has my respect for the knowledge he possesses. I have learned many things from his input. he brings a sense of sanity to the madness that is ATS. my ribbing him was not a personal attack but was in a weird sort of way a kind of flattery. If I thought nothing of his input I would ignore him. So let me repeat myself loud and clear,
"PHAGE HAS MY RESPECT" not my trust. This is a conspiracy site and paranoia does go hand in hand. I trust no one other than ME MYSELF AND I.
Ahabstar referring to this as a witch hunt, censoring and threats of account deletion is a little harsh. I enjoy the community of ats the discussions here have brought me more joy than many aspects of my existence. if my actions have caused phage to suffer. I apologize. I am wise enough to admit I was wrong. Also If someone anyone or thing wishes to challenge me or call me an agent go right ahead this is an open forum. If I make a statement that others believe is false by all means call me out. Show me the error of my ways. But back it up with proof that negates or challenges my argument.

and in closing Ahabstar as a figure of authority (moderator) a reminder spoken by one who inspired me

edit on 23-9-2011 by gaurdian2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
My car is in for repairs and I'm retired. What to do?
Hey maybe I could be an 'online agent'!
Beats doing the gardening...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join