It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California city wants to force people to get a permit for any gathering of more than 3 people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Seriously this is TOTALLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL... what kind of thugs are running that city? Control freaks much?

OC Couple Threatened With $500-Per-Meeting Fines For Home Bible Study

An Orange County couple has been ordered to stop holding a Bible study in their home on the grounds that the meeting violates a city ordinance as a “church” and not as a private gathering.

Homeowners Chuck and Stephanie Fromm, of San Juan Capistrano, were fined $300 earlier this month for holding what city officials called “a regular gathering of more than three people”.

That type of meeting would require a conditional use permit as defined by the city, according to Pacific Justice Institute (PJI), the couple’s legal representation.

The city said ``more than 3 people``...

But this ``church`` do this too :

“The Fromm case further involves regular meetings on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons with up to 50 people, with impacts on the residential neighborhood on street access and parking,” City Attorney Omar Sandoval said.

I mean 50 people is quite a lot of people and it blocks everything. But still, making people get permits is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

edit on 22-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
is this for real?

how can people still be asleep to this?

when it's so obvious, so in our faces.

i don't even think they're trying to hide it anymore.

USA is becoming the fourth reich... very fast.

edit on 22-9-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I mean I kinda think its fair enough - If they were having meetings of up to 50 people every week at a residential address I don't see why it would be so wrong to for them to need a permit to do so.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
get use to goose-stepping people, its coming. papers please

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have a passport.
I have ID.
But I don't think I'll ever be granted, nor will I wish for a travel visa to The Peoples State of California.

This is so stupid, I may have to watch 15 minutes of the Kardashians just to balance it out!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Complete and utter economic/social tyranny..

Now I'm no Christian (far from it) but this sounds awfully similar to the kind of thing bible scholars suggest will happen in the end-times.. Am I the only person who sees this?

/Puts on anti-flame jacket.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Really?

How many hundreds of times have you seen this happen?
They introduce some innocent looking law to deal with what seems like a "big" residential problem but really look at what it says!

NO gathering of any more then 3 people without applying for a permit? Are they crazy? How can you not see what kind of damage this would cause!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I heard this from George Noory while listening to Coast 2 Coast last night.

This is absolutely unbelievable!

Government is WAY too big!

We need to snatch our rights back.

I just don't see how it's possible.

I would love to present situations like these to Mr. Obama and be like " Really? is there nothing you can do about this?"

These situations are what need the attention of the people in charge. BUT at the same time it's their fault that we're in this predicament!

edit on 22-9-2011 by dannotz because: spelling

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

If you believe in the Constitution of these great States then you should think otherwise.

It starts out small.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Another case where a somewhat legitimate complaint is being used as the basis for a massively overreaching law which could be used to destroy the freedom of millions. Restricting people's right to gather peaceably cannot be justified. Restricting people's freedom of worship also cannot be justified. If there are parking violations, issue citations for god's sake.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vampiri

Its not gonna stop you having a wee party or any other normal small social gathering.... they wont come fining you for having a bloody bbq. But when you start pissing of all you neighbors because 50 people are turning twice a week every week, I think its fair enough.

Unless you want to hold some sort of regular mass gathering at your residential address, I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This is gonna throw a real crimp in my Sunday family supper plans . . .

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

I wouldn't assume everyone on here is American.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

All this reminds me of the reasons the police commisioner gave for calling out the dogs on Martin L. King

They said his organization had to have a permit to parade down the streets.

When he refused to apply for a permit, because "they won't give us one anyway", the police were called in to block the march. We all know how well that went.

I am all for enforcing the law but sometimes it seems much simpler to replace the people who pass these stupid laws.

Then change the law back.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Id have to get a permit for my family...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoalPoster
This is gonna throw a real crimp in my Sunday family supper plans . . .

So long as you don't talk about Jesus it should be okay.

This is ridiculous!!!

What's next?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I get it. Neighbors are irritated that their street gets blocked up every week. Doesnt matter if it's 50 people in a bible study or 30 kids at a house party. That would irritate me too.

So they use force of law to get rid of the irritation. Or that's the idea at least.

When this permitting requirement starts to interfere with their lives or get them ticketed for Thanksgiving dinners and Labor Day cook outs they'll realize their mistake and ask that this use of force of law be overturned and ended.

But now the municipality has gotten used to the power and revenue. They wont give that up.

Dont ever ask the law, state, municipality or any authority to do something for you. It always comes back to bite you in the ass. It's like making a deal with the devil.

If your neighbor is clogging the streets every week go talk to him like a human being instead of using force of law like a coward.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Ok, my mistake.

But still, we've been flooded with stories like this for years and years.

It may seem insignificant and reasonable, but really, it's not.

Even if you aren't from America, don't you agree that our Government should be following the Constitution?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Amen.

I'd like to have you as a neighbor...or would i?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
I mean I kinda think its fair enough - If they were having meetings of up to 50 people every week at a residential address I don't see why it would be so wrong to for them to need a permit to do so.

Since when did it become fair to ask people to not have a gathering at their home? Some people have friends and some don't. It seems the fair thing would be to address parking. But people having a bible study in their home is subjective. However, had this been ANY other religion I do feel it would not be an issue. It is getting to feel like Revelation but that may be because these idiots read the bible, Khoran and Kabahla, Now the are using the whole planet and each regions belief system to do an end around JUSTICE. If not they could not, would not have a snowballs chance in hell to do their dasterdly deeds in relative anonymaty.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join