It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undocumented Women Forced To Give Birth While Shackled And In Police Custody

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Undocumented Women Forced To Give Birth While Shackled And In Police Custody

"When I was in bed, I was begging the sheriff, 'Please let me free -- at least one hand,' and he said, no, he didn't want to," Juana Villegas said in an interview with a local Nashville television station. She was describing the experience of being shackled to her hospital bed as she went into labor. Villegas gave birth in the sheriff's custody, after she was stopped by local police while driving without a valid license.

Like Villegas, Alma Chacon, and Miriam Mendiola-Martinez gave birth in the United States shackled to their hospital beds, without their husbands, and in the presence of a prison guard. They also were not violent criminals, but rather, they were all undocumented and charged with an immigration-related offense in Sheriff Arpaio’s jurisdiction of Maricopa County, Arizona.

Seriously? I mean, yeah she's an illegal and yeah she broke the law, but that's no way to treat someone.

Shackling during childbirth is illegal in 14 states and is against U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) policy. But women being held for immigration-related offenses classified as "criminal offenses" can still legally be handcuffed to their hospital beds by state authorities in the 36 other states. Those women can also be denied the right to have a family member in the birthing room, or to hold their newborns for longer than 24 hours.

Sick...

America needs a reform... I mean come on.

One more case ...

Alma Chacon and Juana Villegas, while residing in Arizona and Tennessee respectively, gave birth under similiar circumstances. Chacon was detained for a non-violent criminal offense and shackled to her hospital bed. Chacon was allegedly not allowed to nurse or hold her baby until she was released from immigration custody almost 70 days later when she gave birth in .

That's no way to treat people. Even if they are ``criminals``.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Hell no.........as for this woman, I am speechless that she would be forced to give birth in these conditions.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Terrible for the woman yes, but the child? The most infulencial moments of a persons life is moments after birth.
This must certainly screw up the children... I'd call it child abuse.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Hell no.........as for this woman, I am speechless that she would be forced to give birth in these conditions.

The point is clear. Since when do people get treated like this? Human beings, now we are able to treat them poorly as long as they fit into some sub-category.

It is not about illegals, or the law, or any other semantics. You either have humanity or you don't. And in a situation like this, the woman needs to be treated like any other giving birth, treated like a Mother.

When we make excuses to treat people sub-human, we are sub-human.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Apaiao and his nazis really should be taken out and shot.

This is not an isolated incident, and is typical of their inhumanity.

i feel sick, you know the nazis did the same thing? Exactly the same thing. NAZIS.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
i have some data on my hd about reports from us citizen
who gave birth in a cell with no medical help,
not even other people for a support,
not even hot water!

in us-prison you have no human rights as all,
human right groups expect that every year 3-4.000 people die
because of a denial of needed medications!

star and flag because it is a important topico!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
i have some data on my hd about reports from us citizen
who gave birth in a cell with no medical help,
not even other people for a support,
not even hot water!

in us-prison you have no human rights as all,
human right groups expect that every year 3-4.000 people die
because of a denial of needed medications!

star and flag because it is a important topico!

Well, the moral of this story is...

DONT GO TO JAIL!

Of course mexico is such a lovely penal system right? I hear the middle east is just a paradise to visit.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SalientSkivvy
Terrible for the woman yes, but the child? The most infulencial moments of a persons life is moments after birth.
This must certainly screw up the children... I'd call it child abuse.

I agree. child abuse.

Mothers fault.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Sorry, I do not see the problem here.
When you knowingly break the law then you know there will be consequences. If the mother and child were not physically hurt -no harm no foul.
Many of you need to dry your eyes and bandage your bleeding hearts.
Quad

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
From my perspective the system is defective by design. These things are designed to bring about the wrath of God on America so that the one world government can finally bring about its fruit. The fact that there are no jobs is not because of illegal immigration. The real root cause are those that are hoarding money in the last days.

Consider these passages and consider how God's heart is towards illegal immigrants:

8 And the word of the LORD came again to Zechariah: 9 “This is what the LORD Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. 10 Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the foreigner or the poor. Do not plot evil against each other.’ 11 “But they refused to pay attention; stubbornly they turned their backs and covered their ears.

3 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Reform your ways and your actions, and I will let you live in this place. 4 Do not trust in deceptive words and say, “This is the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD!” 5 If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, 6 if you do not oppress the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, 7 then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your ancestors for ever and ever. 8 But look, you are trusting in deceptive words that are worthless.

21 “Do not mistreat or oppress a foreigner, for you were foreigners in Egypt.

Now I am not one of those open border guys. I believe our borders are defective by design though. I believe that programmed operatives get in on purpose so that the problem reaction and final solution can begin. I believe the imbalance between South of the border and here in the U.S. are created to create an influx of foreigners. This is for the purpose of providing the wrong solution ultimately bringing the wrath of God on America so that one world government and currency may complete itself.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
Sorry, I do not see the problem here.
When you knowingly break the law then you know there will be consequences. If the mother and child were not physically hurt -no harm no foul.
Many of you need to dry your eyes and bandage your bleeding hearts.
Quad

I agree, if she hadn't to have been here we wouldn't be discussing this.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Apart from the not being able to hold the baby, I'm not sure how being shackled down is much different to being forced to give birth on your back, feet in stirrups and strapped down attached by monitors. Which for a lot of women can be a normal occurrence.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
humm a imaginary line crossed and that is all the reason you need to want genside .
You know I have been on ATS a long time and over the years Just like the goverment you say you hate so much you advocate more and more violence . Almost every post I read its I would kill them 50 cal and a wall.
those cops ever tryed that I would kill kill .
This government is only doing what you seam to want SOOOOOO badly or maybe your real problem is they are not killing enough to sastifi your blood lust.
Personally I think its the people who are sick and until they cure them self's don't expect your government to do any better after all your government is YOU!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

your mind is full of nazi sh..,
thiazi will suit you very well,
you should not use that flag because you are
a shame for the (german) flag-
that guys was at least fair
but you are soooooo gready!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Should they have been handcuffed during the birth?
No.

Should they be deported after said birth?
Yes.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Looks like she would have had a nice pleasant birth in Mexico. This should be a good lesson to people have your babies in your own countries. America is a bad place to have babies so please stay away. There the problem is solved.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
humm a imaginary line crossed and that is all the reason you need to want genside .
You know I have been on ATS a long time and over the years Just like the goverment you say you hate so much you advocate more and more violence . Almost every post I read its I would kill them 50 cal and a wall.
those cops ever tryed that I would kill kill .
This government is only doing what you seam to want SOOOOOO badly or maybe your real problem is they are not killing enough to sastifi your blood lust.
Personally I think its the people who are sick and until they cure them self's don't expect your government to do any better after all your government is YOU!!!!!!

No, not every post, or near 10% respond with killing people. Your over dramatic knee jerking is over the top.

Should we have a secured border? Yes. There is a legal way to come here.
The mother ignored that, and suffered the consequences of her actions.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
For all your sympathy, they came across the border to bilk the system*.

Someone mentioned on another forum that the maternaty ward of the hospital should be declaired non US soil and the child is given the nationality of the mother.

This would eliminate the anchor baby scam. If you want American benefits go through the process and become an american citizen. It's hard, you have to want to be one.

* American public education is not that good, your child probably won't graduate to be a rocket scientist unless he or she goes out of his way. The high schools are graduating button pushers, order takers and instruction followers.
However the social programs for the poor are extremely generous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join