Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Global temps for July coldest in over a decade

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Something has happened to global temperatures and scientists are not sure why. Global temperatures for July were the coldest since 1992 and those numbers were the result of Pinatubo. This year there was no such event to cause the cooling. What could cause such a sudden turn around in temperatures?

"In the Northern Hemisphere, July's temperatures were below the 20-year average by .14 degrees Celsius and in the Southern Hemisphere by .29 degrees. Both the tropics and Antarctica showed marked coolness."

Source: www.globetechnology.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
what .... colder.... but I thought global warming was happening.. now it's getting colder...

*scream* WHATS HAPPENING.....

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, here we had 18 days over 90 deg f. Thats about 10deg above normal. I guess if wasn't for us, the statistic would have been much worse!

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Give me a brake .This is how the green house effect works on a plantery scale.
warmer air and water near the equater causes STRONGER air curents pulling the air farther from the north wile pulling it farther down in a atempt to equlize the temp .This is basice weather facters .
at the same time the warmer air from the south is pulled farther north causing the ICE to melt faster .
Check the averge temps for most of alaska and you will see a ten degree RISE in temp even above the artic circle.
I have been following global temp for 20 years .
20 years agaio the averge temp in novmber in alaska was Below 0 now its in the 30des.it takes untill january to finly get cold in lower alaska.
even in december I was recording temps of 40% in juno ancrage and most other twons below the artic circle.
and above it the temps were still running in the teens wich is VERY warm for december .The temps should be at -20 to -40 in december in alaska.
cooler temps in the lower stats only means the northern stats are getting warmed up faster.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I welcome the cool summers, means I don't have to live so far up north.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well here in the south the temperature when down to the point that at night was cool but it climbed back to summer regular temps but overall is being nice.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's been one of the coolest summers I can remember here in Montreal.

We usually have two or three "official" heat waves with high humidity (that's 5 days in a row of over 30 C). Not so much as a heat ripple this summer.

By the way Marge... I like the new avatar.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well thanks,

I see Montreal is very cold even in the summer for me after all I live in muggy Georgia.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
A decade is next to nothing on a global time scale. It's a blink of an eye.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This is the coolest August I can remember with the possible exception of 1968 which I spent at Monterey, CA. I've only been in NM for going on six years, but the past Augusts and even Septembers have been HOT!

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I know how it feels in the desert I was in 29 palms for 3 years and it was bad.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I think meteorology and accurate weather forecasting and statistics is still in its infancy.
They have records going back maybe 100 years so how do we really know how weather cycles. I know they can do rings on trees and get core samples of glaciers, but that can only be so accurate, IMHO.

It's been cooler here in Michigan this summer. Last summer was somewhat warmer, but still off the mark. We've had like one or two 90-degree days, and none in July or August. I remember last year it was about 90 one day in April.

So much for global warming. I think the theory about a coming ice age will happen first---but even that is not happening soon.

[edit on 25-8-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Deadly Climate Change Warning for Europe

"Rising sea levels, disappearing glaciers in the Alps and more deadly heat waves are coming for Europeans because of global warming, Europe’s environmental agency has warned.

The European Environment Agency said much more needs to be done – and fast. Climate change “will considerably affect our societies and environments for decades and centuries to come,” the agency said in 107-page report released yesterday.

Yesterday’s report, “Impacts of Europe’s Changing Climate,” urges that the Kyoto Protocol be adopted, saying climate changes “will considerably affect our societies and environments for decades and centuries to come."

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Hellmutt. There is nothing to back up the claims of anything that comes from the IPCC. Its their typical fear mongering. Plus throughout history and without exception following every temperature spike has been a temperature crash. Without exception! But these idiots would try and lead you to believe that somehow man would have changed all that. Even when in the past CO2 levels were much higher than today. Even in the past when temps were warmer than today. The ice age is the most likely scenario because every time in the past that we've had weather like this the ice age has followed.

And Sim... sorry man you don't get it both ways. When its hot its global warming. When its cool its global warming. Its globalony.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
And for those who haven't figured it out the oceans rule all. The weather goes insane during an el nino year. And the Atlantic current has been all out of whack this summer. Look at the result. The oceans contain massive amounts of energy. Far more than the atmosphere. They are the driving force.

top topics

join