It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FaceBook and Reality Shows: Social Engineering Disregard For Privacy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Privacy is vanishing in the name of 'security.'
Emails, text messages, phone records/conversations, GPS data, social site data, computers, laptops, cellphones, bank accounts, safety deposit boxes, purchasing history, homes, vehicles, and one's own person can be searched without warrant or probable cause. Just chalk it to a 'matter of national security,' and it's legit. Street cameras, mobile x-ray scanners, and TSA Viper Team checkpoint searches. Patriot Act... Department of Homeland Security... TSA... FEMA... Information Awareness Office...

Initially, many people got pretty upset about such privacy infringement. How to combat a societal dislike? Simply change a society's entire opinion of the issue through manipulation and social engineering. Instead of combating the disagreement head on, teach the people to think the way you want so they will accept, all the while allowing them to believe they have done so on their own free will and accord! Genius!

Social engineering is a discipline in political science that refers to efforts to influence popular attitudes and social behaviors on a large scale, whether by governments or private groups.

Most of us know that the television (Tell-Lies-Vision) is one of the most powerful and effective propaganda tools. Television shows are called 'programming' for a reason

Now... if the goal was to get people to accept being documented and recorded in all aspects of their lives, simply illustrate this concept on the Tell-Lies-Vision propaganda machine. Place people on a television 'program' non-stop, showing their every word and action... giving the stars absolutely no privacy. Make this lack of personal privacy as entertaining as possible. Thus; the boom in reality shows. Reality shows present life under the all-seeing eye in such a way that infringement of privacy becomes non-threatening and even desired!
This probably explains why "Jersey Shore" is set to receive a $420,000 tax credit

FaceBook is an extremely successful and popular social networking site. But it too has become laxed on privacy. Any and all pictures and posts can be filed, edited, and used in any way by FaceBook, even if you delete your profile. FaceBook recently began to list user's cellular numbers on their Profile Page if the user had accessed FaceBook via a mobile device. If a user posts something to another user's page, it now gets displayed in 'Live News Feeds' for all of one's FaceBook Friends to see (eliminates the one-on-one replies). Not to mention all of the 'standard' personal info a user supplies, ranging from birth date, interests, schooling, to career.

With infringement of personal privacy conditioned as non-threatening by the television through reality shows, and the ever-popular FaceBook with their anti-privacy policies, people are beginning to not care about privacy. Go to a social networking site and you'll soon find yourself saying, "why did this person just post that? That was personal and too much information." People are beginning to lose value in privacy. It is my belief that this is being socially engineered through reality shows and social networking sites. This makes it all the easier for the 'Big Brother' to keep an eye on us without us caring.

All thoughts, opinions, and rebuttals are greatly encouraged. Let's discuss!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Lets face it....the Facebook/twitter generation has already sold itself to the concept of Self availability to anyone. They put on the web anything and everything....just as tatoos for a slighly older generation were inked on bodies that one day would see the stupidity in it. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Great post. I think you have it right on the money. It didn't occur to me before, but I have to agree. I need to go delete my facebook account. I hardly ever go there anyway.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

You got that right! I watch some young people say things and post pictures that used to be in the "none of your business" norm. I once tried to explain to some younger people about saying a little too much on social sites, and I was met with opposition
No more of that. I just allow others to do as they wish. The gap between yesterday's "none of your business" and today's "open diary" led me to draw the conclusions as discussed in the op.

reply to post by notquiteright

I'm glad my conclusions made sense to you. I would delete my FaceBook, but I feel it helps me spread encouragement and good vibes to my friends. I don't post or supply any personal information or details about my current life, thoughts, or emotions. I only post quotes and good vibes.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Right on

The younger generation especially has no concept of privacy and think that it is all normal to put every aspect of your personal life on social sites for all the world to see.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I usually just use mine to post links to my music, but not many click on them anyway.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

kudos for such a well written post.

reality TV was only innocent fun in the earliest days when silliness reigned supreme on Allen Funt's 'Candid Camera' many years ago.

the newer wave of Reality TV began with Trash TV as pioneered on The Morton Downey Jr. Show, where rudeness ruled and subject matter was all too often of poor taste. The Jerry Springer Show featuring white trash and ghetto types revealing the most personal intimates of their sordid twisted lives plunged America into a shameful spiral of broadcasting badness that we've yet to recover from.

some major channel Reality Shows in their early form were actually clever and entertaining, (for example) taking viewers to far-away lands as contestants underwent challenging contests of mental or physical prowess. as always a successful show is the cash-grab prize and viewers were soon inundated with programs that pandered to the lowest intellect. TV is often referred to as 'the boob tube' for good reason (also see: 'idiot box').

The Jerry Springer Show and the past few years of Reality TV are a source of shame for America IMHO. I cringe knowing other countries see these shows. there are some who may feel they actually represent a good portion of our population. I read of other countries where many, most or all American TV is not allowed. This speaks volumes, most of it not good.

As for privacy in America i think that flew out the window long before most people were aware it had. What little data that isn't available for free online is available for a $20 or $30 fee. Hopefully more parents and teachers will become aware of this and try hard to impress upon our young people the need for discretion.

I'm glad i'm not in my youth with today's technology so readily available. Having things come back to haunt you because of a little Friday night fun can become a permanent online nightmare.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Whenever you look at facebook, remember, you are not the customer. You are the product.

They sell all of their statistical information based on their users, that is how they make money.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

In ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic orthography, isolated parts of the "Eye of Horus" symbol were used to write various fractions.

Symmetry is the driving force behind biometrics.

This is the new norm. Pre-crime, future predicting algorithm, manifest into what can only be described as the eye of Horus incarnate. The dimensions of the eye were mathematical values and sacred fractions, just like the way an eye is measured in biometrics today, just to give you a brief example :

The Eye of Horus in Arithmetic

In the Ancient Egyptian measurement system, the Eye Of Horus defined Old Kingdom number one (1) = 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + 1/64, by throwing away 1/64 for any rational number. Eye of Horus numbers created six-term rounded-off numbers. The Old Kingdom definition has dropped a seventh term, a remainder 1/64, that was needed to report exact series. During the Middle Kingdom that included the eleventh through fourteenth dynasties, exact series definitions and applications were often written by 6-terms, or less. The Egyptian fraction notation scaled to volume unit remainders to 1/320 hekat. For example, the Egyptian Mathematical Leather Roll, the RMP 2/n table and the Akhmim Wooden Tablet wrote binary quotients and scaled remainders. The metaphorical side of this information linked Old Kingdom fractions 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and 1/64, to separate parts of the eye.

In the Middle Kingdom the 1/64 symbol denoted "rest" and "healing" as connected to the hekat, with the word dja being attached.

The "Eye of Horus" fractions were further discussed in the Egyptian Mathematical Leather Roll following elementary definitions that built the Egyptian fraction system. Weights and measure subunits of a hekat were also connected to Eye of Horus numbers in the quotient, and as an exact remainder, the remainder including an Egyptian fraction and a ro unit, correcting the Eye of Horus 1/64 roundoff error. The ro unit, 1/320 of a hekat, is cited in the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus and applied in the medical texts, i.e. Ebers Papyrus in two ways. The first replaced the hekat by a unity, 64/64 (in RMP 47, 82 and 83), and the second by 320 ro (in RMP 35–38). Exact divisions of 64/64 by 3, 7, 10, 11 and 13, written as 1/3, 1/17, 1/10, 1/11 and 1/13 multipliers, are also found in the Akhmim Wooden Tablet.

en.wikipedia.org...

I've been beating the drum about the biometric matrix for a long time. There are threads of mine in the RATS, 404 and other sections. Feel free to browse.

edit on 2011/9/22 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
EXCELLENT post! i couldn't agree more with everything you said, OP! also, add to that, not only do people not value privacy, they flat out are starting to get the attitude that they have a RIGHT to know every little tiny thing about eachother, and be very judgmental about it. no one ever says "hey, not my cup of tea, but not really my business" anymore. it is always gossip followed by judgment. which is just a deeper part of the social engineering you mentioned - because when you get that whole nosey, snoopy and JUDGMENTAL thing going, then it is easier to get us to police each other, especially with these programs out there like "see something, say something" - and also part of this social engineering is the reward system. these social network sites are set up for us to get attention, right? i mean i post something on facebook, and you "like" it. the more people "like" what you say the better you feel (rewarded for putting so much out there), and i think that bleeds over into the police eachother thing. you snitch on your neighbors and maybe big brother will reward you somehow...

ug. it's disgusting, i am getting ill thinking about it.

edit on 22-9-2011 by highpriestess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

It's sad really. Pictures and posts going up online that only degrade a person... living on in cyber space waiting for the day to bite one of these future adults in the behind... things that one shouldn't even tell their mother ends up on social sites. Sad.

reply to post by notquiteright

As long as you enjoy your music, that's the most important thing.

reply to post by LargeFries

Thank you

Very nice breakdown of the degradation of television. Good old Jerry Springer. That show started off with shock, then turned to laughs, then turned to a norm

I'm also glad that the foolishness of my teens and twenties isn't documented online to embarrass or hurt my reputation as an adult.

reply to post by links234

Yep, supplying third-parties with personal information is how they make money. Also through advertising, but even many advertisements are directed toward a person based on personal information which is bought, traded, and given out freely.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

That is very interesting. There is no way our ancestors could have done the things they did without advanced mathematics.

reply to post by highpriestess

And I couldn't agree with your more! There are just so many examples of people willfully giving up their privacy by what they say and do in public and over the Internet. I haven't heard "it's none of your business" in a long time! But when I say something similar like, "it's personal, I'm not talking about that," people act as if I owe it to them to say, or react as if I had been rude. I really enjoy my privacy in every way I can get it.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
nothing but attention (word that starts with a w and ends in es)

too many self important people who think everything they do is interesting to someone else.

clueless they are and always will be seriously ridiculous

the ironic part is they willl turn around and scream right to privacy at the same time.

dont really have anything too nice to say about the facebook and twitter generation

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Many people are attention seekers. It makes my eyes cringe with the level of blatant posts of egotism and self importance. Are these types of people expressing a need for attention and reassurance because they are missing something in their lives?

new topics

top topics

join