It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Dollar now higher than US...Slightly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Interesting but not earth shattering yet. I am by no means a financial expert but before some think that it's the Canadian dollar getting stronger, it's not. It's in fact the US dollar weakening.

Watching the ATS threads and seeing Wall Street insiders 'Disappearing'...makes me ask "What's going on?"

Great thread here from CasiusIgnoranze:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just thought I'd post for interest sake just before I head out to buy more physical silver.

For me, this is the sign that I was waiting for:

www.xe.com...

1.00 USD = 1.01158 CAD

www.reuters.com...

TORONTO, Sept 21 (Reuters) - The Canadian dollar weakened to parity with its U.S. counterpart on Wednesday morning, shrugging off higher-than-expected Canadian inflation data as global markets awaited the outcome of the U.S. Federal Reserve's closely watched policy meeting.

edit on 21-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Considering the USA has nearly 10x the population of Canada thats a frightening stat,

Spending too much, not making enough, time to pay the piper.

-GM

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
Considering the USA has nearly 10x the population of Canada thats a frightening stat,

Spending too much, not making enough, time to pay the piper.

-GM

It is definitely eye opening.

I have always watched the 2 currencies to tell me that all is right with the World because you could count on it being consistent

Not anymore.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You must be mistaken the recession ended 2 years ago.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
i remember back like 10 years my step dad would come over from the states with 50 and get like 65 canadian...i was like WHOA thats cool..now he refuses to exchange it because he loses money...haha.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
You must be mistaken the recession ended 2 years ago.

Right, I forgot about that.

It was all over the MSM. How could I have missed it?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Calex1987
i remember back like 10 years my step dad would come over from the states with 50 and get like 65 canadian...i was like WHOA thats cool..now he refuses to exchange it because he loses money...haha.

It was still that way just a few years ago.

This is getting a little scary actually. I'm all for the Canadian dollar being par with the US but this shift is a signal of worse to come I believe.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

This is getting a little scary actually. I'm all for the Canadian dollar being par with the US but this shift is a signal of worse to come I believe.

yeh kinda sucked cuz he used to pay me to do random stuff he didnt feel like doing with american now im like naw you can do it....

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

yeh kinda sucked cuz he used to pay me to do random stuff he didnt feel like doing with american now im like naw you can do it....

As a business owner, I liked getting US dollars because we always seen a little more at the bank from our deposits.

Now what the hell am I going to do?

Oh well, like everyone else does...blame Obama!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Right now the Canadian dollar is not higher but lower in value than the US dollar.

The Canadian dollar has actually been tanking pretty hard since late July. At the peak the US dollar would only buy 94 canadian cents. Right now it will buy about 1.01 Canadian dollars. So the Canadian dollar has lost about 7 cents of value against the USD.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

i blame bush...he started it...obama just got the pile of s**t dropped on his lap as bush walked out laughing saying your problem now.....

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
yeah just like the tax rate is higher in canada. what bout 60%?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

The Canadian dollar is actually going down. We were quite a bit higher than that as of late, but, our dollar seems to follow oil. If oil goes down so does our dollar. Like I said, our dollar has been stronger than the US for the better part of the year and even parts of last year, so now that it is closer to parity is not earth shattering.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
A weaker dollar actually makes US products more reasonably priced abroad.
This will help US exports be more competitively priced and help offset the trade deficit. Yes, the US does have exports. As a matter of fact the US is third behind Germany and China in exports.

It's all in how you look at it
edit on 22-9-2011 by Rubber-Ducky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by jude11

The Canadian dollar is actually going down. We were quite a bit higher than that as of late, but, our dollar seems to follow oil. If oil goes down so does our dollar. Like I said, our dollar has been stronger than the US for the better part of the year and even parts of last year, so now that it is closer to parity is not earth shattering.

We made it up to around 8 cents over the USD, where it is now is definitely down from the first half of the year.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
And the Australian Dollar fell below parity with the USD today as well, second time only since March. Asian stocks are taking a bit of a hammering today as well.

Shares plunge below 4000 points

Australian shares have dropped below the psychological 4000 level as investors were jolted by the US Federal Reserve's warnings that the world's largest economy faces a grim economic outlook.

Around midday, the S&P/ASX 200 index was down 105.6 points, or 2.6 per cent, to 3966.2, shaving another $30 billion off the market's value and hitting its lowest level in more than two years.

Dollar dips below parity with greenback

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbon
Right now the Canadian dollar is not higher but lower in value than the US dollar.

The Canadian dollar has actually been tanking pretty hard since late July. At the peak the US dollar would only buy 94 canadian cents. Right now it will buy about 1.01 Canadian dollars. So the Canadian dollar has lost about 7 cents of value against the USD.

Yeah, I hope people read the OP. As I mentioned, the CAD is not actually stronger but because of the weakening US dollar, it will look like that to many.

Still disturbing no matter which way you look at it tho.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I think every currency increased compared to the dollar. Has little to do with CAD and more with USD I suppose...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Interesting but not earth shattering yet. I am by no means a financial expert but before some think that it's the Canadian dollar getting stronger, it's not. It's in fact the US dollar weakening.

Watching the ATS threads and seeing Wall Street insiders 'Disappearing'...makes me ask "What's going on?"

Great thread here from CasiusIgnoranze:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just thought I'd post for interest sake just before I head out to buy more physical silver.

For me, this is the sign that I was waiting for:

www.xe.com...

1.00 USD = 1.01158 CAD

www.reuters.com...

TORONTO, Sept 21 (Reuters) - The Canadian dollar weakened to parity with its U.S. counterpart on Wednesday morning, shrugging off higher-than-expected Canadian inflation data as global markets awaited the outcome of the U.S. Federal Reserve's closely watched policy meeting.

edit on 21-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

You realize the Canadian Dollar has been worth more than the American dollar for over a month now right....

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbon

This is flat out wrong. I own a cabin in Canada that I visit every summer for a few weeks, I was there this past August and can assure you that while there, the exchange rate was in favor of the Canadian Dollar. In fact, during the 2 weeks I was there, on one particular day the Canadian Dollar was exchanging 1 American for nearly 1.20 Canadian.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join