It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

R.I.P. TROY DAVIS AN INNOCENT MAN

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

well said.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

This is true. Any person you ask in jail is innocent. But that doesnt' mean some of them aren't.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Innocent until proven guilty....that's not the case here. It's more of a guilty until proven innocent situation. I personally don't know if the man did it or not, but that's the point. There was no solid evidence that he was guilty.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
From the crazy "Ann Coulter":

Now the media claim that seven of the nine witnesses against Davis at trial have recanted. First of all, the state presented 34 witnesses against Davis – not nine – which should give you some idea of how punctilious the media are about their facts in death penalty cases.

Among the witnesses who did not recant a word of their testimony against Davis were three members of the Air Force, who saw the shooting from their van in the Burger King drive-in lane. The airman who saw events clearly enough to positively identify Davis as the shooter explained on cross-examination, "You don't forget someone that stands over and shoots someone."

Recanted testimony is the least believable evidence since it proves only that defense lawyers managed to pressure some witnesses to alter their testimony, conveniently after the trial has ended. Even criminal lobbyist Justice William Brennan ridiculed post-trial recantations.

Three recantations were from friends of Davis, making minor or completely unbelievable modifications to their trial testimony. For example, one said he was no longer sure he saw Davis shoot the cop, even though he was five feet away at the time. His remaining testimony still implicated Davis.

One alleged recantation, from the vagrant's girlfriend (since deceased), wasn't a recantation at all, but rather reiterated all relevant parts of her trial testimony, which included a direct identification of Davis as the shooter.

Only two of the seven alleged "recantations" (out of 34 witnesses) actually recanted anything of value – and those two affidavits were discounted by the court because Davis refused to allow the affiants to testify at the post-trial evidentiary hearing, even though one was seated right outside the courtroom, waiting to appear.

The court specifically warned Davis that his refusal to call his only two genuinely recanting witnesses would make their affidavits worthless. But Davis still refused to call them – suggesting, as the court said, that their lawyer-drafted affidavits would not have held up under cross-examination.

With death penalty opponents so fixated on Davis' race – he's black – it ought to be noted that all the above witnesses are themselves African-American. The first man Davis shot in the car that night was African-American.

This all needs to be torn apart before further conclusions can be REASONABLY drawn.

1. Were there 9 or 34 witnesses? If there were 34, all sources that claim 9 have to be looked at as suspicious sources, no matter their backing.

2. Are the Air-force men reliable?

3. Is recanted evidence actually less reliable? Where's the data?

4. What were the recantations of the 3 friends, and how does this conflict with their original testimony?

4. Was the alleged recantation by the girlfriend actually blown-out-of-perspective reiterations?

Come on, folks, more than opinion, blow this stuff out the water.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
www.innocenceproject.org...

"Eyewitness misidentification is the single greatest cause of wrongful convictions nationwide, playing a role in more than 75% of convictions overturned through DNA testing."

Pretty strong evidence for reasonable doubt especially in a capital punishment case...at the very least an investigation into how the witnesses were interrogated or interviewed could have been done. Not to mention an investigation into the alleged recanted testimonies.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
1- there was a trial.
2- he had a lawyer.
3- he was given his right to prove his innocence. (remember the burden is on the State to prove that he is guilty)
4- a verdict was reached.
5- there was an appeal.
6- he lost.
7- he's dead/
8- justice served

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
I am all for capitol punishment

Shame on you....

Shame on America....

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Given Ann Coulter's comments on radiation and other things, I'll take what she says with a grain of salt.

That said, no physical evidence, no weapon, it being dark...he was sentenced to death on circumstantial evidence it seems to me.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Shame on you....

Shame on America....

Heck, I'm all for bringing back here in Canada and if Harper keeps going the way he is...I might just get my wish !!!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Given Ann Coulter's comments on radiation and other things, I'll take what she says with a grain of salt.

That said, no physical evidence, no weapon, it being dark...he was sentenced to death on circumstantial evidence it seems to me.
I still am taking it with a grain of salt, hence the reason why I said debunk the points I pulled up.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Shame on you....

Shame on America....

Really? So if someone lets say..... raped tortured and killed your child you would not want to see them pay with their life? Im sure your tune would change

SHAME ON YOU
edit on 22-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Shame on you....

Shame on America....

Really? So if someone lets say..... raped and tortured your child you would not want to see them pay with their life? Im sure your tune would change

In a case like that one...I'd be the one on trial for torturing and killing a rapist but I could live with that till the stick the needle in me !!!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
so according to your logic....these people also had deserved justice??...truthinjustice.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I find it funny how some of the same people on ATS are adamant of Troy's guilt saying his murder was justified are the same ones that often criticize the system for being corrupt and dysfunctional. Now if the system is corrupt how in the name of commonsense can that same system be trusted to meld out a fair and just decision calling for death?

There are people on this site who actually believe things in the judicial system work like they do on Matlock, let me be the first one to tell you they don't!.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I do not know if Troy Davis was guilty or innocent.
YOU do not know if Troy Davis was guilty or innocent.
The state of Georgia does not know if Troy Davis was guilty or innocent.

The justice system is a business. They need to make convictions to prove they are doing their job. That's why no one is surprised when witnesses and defendants are always coming out later saying they were coerced by the police to testify in a certain way or admit to something they didn't really believe.

Troy Davis was just another case, another product.
We cannot stand for dehumanization of people, even if they are accused of crimes.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

1-check
2-check
3-check
4-check....
8-sh!!!t wrongly convicted...damn sorry about that, but for those that we already put to death, can't help you at this point so we'll go ahead and chalk it up OOPS!!!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

where do you get your facts from have you ever been to jail...................?

well some of us have and we know we deserve to be there the question is can we not make the same mistakes again some people can learn in life and some people can not

but very few ppl claim innocence

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by theruthlessone
reply to post by nixie_nox

where do you get your facts from have you ever been to jail...................?

well some of us have and we know we deserve to be there the question is can we not make the same mistakes again some people can learn in life and some people can not

but very few ppl claim innocence

Tu she' I have never been to jail but I have some pretty rowdy relatives. And all of them will tell you in a minute "yeah I did ---------" . Criminals - who are not psycopaths - usually only lie to prevent going to jail. Once they're there , theres nothing to lose.

And speaking of not being a psycopath - Troy Davis had no criminal past, was active in his community , and drove his disabled sister around. On top of that he did not own a gun. So , for him to just go on a nightly shooting spree, harming one person and killing another, is highly unlikely.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I have worked in the pen, most inmates will tell you they are innocent. This guy is a piece of cop killing trash, certified by the courts and his peers. This idiot just wants to make a scene, if he was truly innocent facing the death penalty he could have used all his appeals but did not. Also, if you were innocent wouldn't you try to escape? I would.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by yesitisnoitsnot
reply to post by Fox Molder

1-check
2-check
3-check
4-check....
8-sh!!!t wrongly convicted...damn sorry about that, but for those that we already put to death, can't help you at this point so we'll go ahead and chalk it up OOPS!!!!!

System works both way...Remember Casey Anthony ??? It's part of it...Sorry but that's just how I feel !

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join