It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals with Human Material

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Animals with Human Material

the-scientist.com

…the integration of human DNA, cells, or tissues into animals has been undertaken since the 1960s. Transgenic animals (with one or more human genes in their makeup) and chimeras (with some human cells or tissues amongst their own animal tissues)…

…mice with “humanised” immune systems… Transgenic goats carrying a human gene

…research using such animals has received very little public recognition - or even discussion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
The media dramatizes and distorts human-animal research, genetic modification and genetic engineering, laments Professor Martin Bobrow the article's author. He recommends encouraging a more "informed debate." To that end, Bobrow chaired an "expert working group study" organized by the UK’s Academy of Medical Sciences. The aim was to "consider the research use of animals containing human material from scientific, ethical, social, and safety perspectives, and to make recommendations for the future regulation of this research."

At present, there are NO regulations, standards or guidelines for such "biomedical research," genetic modification and genetic engineering in the UK or elsewhere. The working group's report encourages other countries to "consider these issues, and catalyse the development of international standards and guidelines."

Thinking about human-animal chimeras, a genetic fact that jumps to mind is the reality that some DNA is transmitted horizontally between bacteria, like an infection. Visions of Pandora's Box quickly follow.

Plasmids and transposons can actually induce bacteria to conjugate, creating opportunities for horizontal transmission of themselves and the resistance gene!

The rate of horizontal transmission of antibiotic resistance plasmids is increased in food preservation-stressed bacteria

An H-NS-like Stealth Protein Aids Horizontal DNA Transmission in Bacteria

Animal antibiotic use has an early but important impact on the emergence of antibiotic resistance in human commensal bacteria

Can we be certain that chimeric DNA will not transmit horizontally, just like antibiotic resistance in bacteria?

…Anyone here up for an "informed debate"?

the-scientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21/9/11 by soficrow because: wd accuracy

edit on 21/9/11 by soficrow because: sp,

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I'm not sure what it is They're after. I do think regulations should be in place.

Thanks for the informative post! S&F!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It would take a heck of a lot more genetic material to create a true 'mutant' hybrid, chimera type critter... look at Chimps (no not G W Bush) and the like, they are extremely close to humans genetically and they are still way different in appearance.

This is just a way for them (sciency types) to test how certain things react to other things in a closed system ie: a living body, usually a mammal with a close physical analogue of the human body.

We are not gonna see a 'Island of Dr Moreau' scenario or anything.

The biggest danger is that they might accidentally mutate a virus or some such so that it is able to effect humans.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

I'm not sure what it is They're after.

Human-animal transgenic and chimeric animals are used when nothing else does the job:

... in studies where it is morally or practically impossible to conduct the experiments in humans, and where alternative approaches, such as computer simulations or cell cultures, are not adequately representative of the system being studied. Such approaches are used to determine the function of human genes by expressing the relevant DNA segment in an animal and observing its effect, or to test, develop, and produce therapies for disease, among other applications.

I do think regulations should be in place.

What kind? ...Not really a fair question I know - but they've had free rein for a long time. ...And there always will be countries where anything goes...

I keep thinking about DNA being transmitted horizontally... Now that would be an unforgettable pandemic!

Thanks for the informative post! S&F!

You're welcome. Thank YOU.

edit on 22/9/11 by soficrow because: format

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
We are not gonna see a 'Island of Dr Moreau' scenario or anything.

You're a buzzkill but I think someone will just because they can. Maybe some furverts.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
The biggest danger is that they might accidentally mutate a virus or some such so that it is able to effect humans.

HIV anyone?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Hmmm...since the 1960's...I wonder if that is where the HIV virus came from? Makes you think and wonder!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Remember: Stealth Protein Aids Horizontal DNA Transmission in Bacteria

DNA spreads like flu?

It's scientific heresy! But it happens. …Can we be certain that human-animal DNA will not transmit horizontally, just like antibiotic resistance in bacteria?

edit on 22/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The movie splice comes to mind...kinda crzy stuff because of what might happen , but hey who knows they may find out things to help out medically for both mankind and other animals...even though it probably won't be released because big medical don't want to fix us....ancient aliens about a month ago was about genetically altered species...hmmmm interesting every one should check it out!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Unfortunately it seems that all industries but especially those related to biological research have a tendency to "shoot first and ask questions later" when it comes to living experimentation. A big hurdle is that anytime a country places restrictions companies can always go to a nation that has yet to develop these restrictions in order to carry on their research.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Its a pandoras box for sure. Not going to get put back with the lid closed..
and I find that scary. As I have posted before, some of these so called expert scientists
are not always as informed as they should be. They are playing with the dice...
Who knows how this will turn out.

Why do I find myself thinking that this makes GMO's look like childs play?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The animals shouldn't be polluted with human DNA for any reason... they're the only sane creatures on this planet!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Its a pandoras box for sure. Not going to get put back with the lid closed..

Nope. They're already out. AND we keep creating more.

and I find that scary.

Uh huh. And downright eery how perfectly the Pandora's Box myth fits "modern" science.

The "box" was actually a large jar (πιθος pithos) given to Pandora (Πανδώρα) ("all-gifted"), which contained all the evils of the world. When Pandora opened the jar, all its contents except for one item were released into the world. The one remaining item was Hope.[1] Today, opening Pandora's box means to create evil that cannot be undone.

Why do I find myself thinking that this makes GMO's look like childs play?

Because it does?

I agree volafox - leave the animals alone. And pure. ...Too late tho, I'm afraid.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I'd give you a hundred stars for your post...

I read a statement the other day, pondered it as I also understood the ramifications
of the 'other' technology they were against which is still in the conspiracy realm as
many understand it but that will soon change.

Ten years on and the cognitive implant almost complete. Only forgiveness, faith, surrender
and acceptance left to make the conditioning neurologic, response-impregnated and absolute.
www.economist.com...

Now I really dont know what he is referring to as the threat, but somehow I think its akin to
the pandoras box.

Scared and sacred... Awful and awesome...Terrify and terrific, Hopeless, and Hopeful...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Im glad there doing this i have CF and its genetic it would be great if they could find a cure or new treatments or produce therapies for this horrible disease ..cell-replacement is a wonderful idea i hope they never stop this program..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarcookie1
Im glad there doing this i have CF and its genetic it would be great if they could find a cure or new treatments or produce therapies for this horrible disease ..cell-replacement is a wonderful idea i hope they never stop this program..Peace,sugarcookie1

I'm sorry you have CF sugarcookie, and truly hope a cure is found for you soon. But the main question here is NOT about whether or not to continue such programs - it's about regulation and oversight:

There are NO regulations, standards or guidelines for such "biomedical research," genetic modification and genetic engineering in the UK or elsewhere. From the OP:

At present, there are NO regulations, standards or guidelines for such "biomedical research," genetic modification and genetic engineering in the UK or elsewhere. The working group's report encourages other countries to "consider these issues, and catalyse the development of international standards and guidelines."

And FYI - there is a lot of evidence suggesting that diseases like CF were created by industrial processes "tinkering" with proteins - so accelerating down the same path is probably not be the best way to stop the train.

edit on 1/11/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

More along the lines of horizontal gene transfer...

Maxmars has a new thred, I found this information to post to it...

I think its a great fit for this thread also, so adding the quote here:

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by Maxmars

....... sheds light on the direct connection between
GMO organisms ( aka GMO 'food') and disease, syndromes, and eventually death.

The 35S promoter, derived from the common plant virus, cauliflower mosaic virus (CaMV), is a component of transgenic constructs in more than 80% of genetically modified (GM) plants. Alarming reports have suggested that the 35S promoter might cause accidental activation of plant genes or endogenous viruses, promote horizontal gene transfer, or might even recombine with mammalian viruses such as HIV, with unexpected consequences. In this article, we discuss the properties of CaMV and the 35S promoter and the potential risks associated with the use of the promoter in GM plants, concluding that any risks are no greater than those encountered in conventional plant breeding

www.biotech-info.net...

His thread is here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think this all ties together...the isertion of genes that are altered, from plants to humans, to animals...
and its all in the food chain, we also know that affects us through our digestive system...
horizontal gene transfer, and misfolded prions...just a few of the dangerous unwanted side affects
of this crazy tinkering with our genetic structures!

It seems then, that scientists know of these dangers...some of them probably tried to warn others,
but in the long run the quest for madness, greed, and control have taken us into this dangerous territory.

And I remember you said in another thread that our life span is now shortening.
Well, looks like they have gone and done it now.

edit on 1-11-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks bts - and on the subject of human-plant chimeras:

Blood Protein from Rice

Scientists genetically engineer rice to produce a safe, pure, and much-needed human plasma protein.

The highly sought-after plasma protein, human serum albumin (HSA), can now be produced at high yield and purity in rice, according to a report published today (October 31) in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Using the rice-derived protein in place of its blood-derived counterpart will not only ease demand but also eliminate the risk of spreading diseases.

.....before rice HSA can be used in humans it will need to go through extensive clinical trials. Furthermore, to generate sufficient quantities of HSA to meet global demand—an estimated 500 tons a year—production will need to be scaled up to open-field farming, which will bring its own share of red tape. So, while the prospects for rice HSA are exciting, Twyman says, “we are not going to see blood-derived HSA replaced tomorrow.”

Eliminate the risk of spreading disease?!? ...Are these guys on crack?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join