It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$16 Dollar Muffins and $8 Dollar Coffee, Courtesy of YOU! The Taxpayer!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
The heart of the problem, at the end of the day, is that there is no accountability.

I run my own business. If I make a foolish expenditure, it is either going to upset my client if I try and pass off the cost to him or the money is coming out of my pocket. Either way, it behooves me not to make foolish expenditures.

People who work for the government have know accountability. Whoever made the decision to pay $16 for muffins will not lose their job. This person should be fired for being stupid and/or giving someone a kickback, but they will not be.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

[color=dodgerblue]Whoever approved the $600,000 dollar budget for just five events should be fired, and should be made to apologize publicly. That's just an insane amount of money. There is no reason for that.

Better be some damn good muffins for sixteen bucks a piece!
edit on 22-9-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta
Heck...

Darlin', you bring the Muffins and I'll supply the coffee.

$8 coffee?

you can create a cup of coffee for .$25 cents, max!

Think about health insurance; a hospital stay,

$40 dollar aspirin

[color=dodgerblue]I spend 8 bucks on a can of coffee that lasts me for about a month!

And I could probably bake 50 muffins for 16 bucks!

I am going into the muffin business. The muffin man is making a fortune!

And I wanted to be a nurse... What was I thinking???

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Sorry but this seems like alot of small potatoes to me. Look at what the govt. spends secretly with no oversite at all on black projests that never see the light of day. Your talking billions on those projects a 16 dollar muffin seems like crying over a broken windowshield after your car has been flattened by a train.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

[color=dodgerblue]This only information from one event, from only one audit, from only one department. The Justice Department spent $600,000 bucks on just five events in 2009 and the muffins were just an example from one event.

I am sure the number on a government-wide scale would be huge.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I live and work in DC for the federal government.

It may not sound terrific for a conspiracy site but it is most likely not a conspiracy but rather pure ignorance and ineptitude.

You have a lot of people in charge of a lot of "free" money who do not understand where it came from or understand the responsibility in using it. Not all but enough. As a result, you get these stories of astronomically expensive muffins and everybody extrapolates that every tax payer dime is spent that way. The reality is not all, but enough.

Another facet is the volume of individuals who because of their position, assume an unjustified level of self-importance, worthy of $16 muffins. The $10 variety simply will not do. The Untermench consume the

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

What was spent on the muffins alone would have
paid for a used 28' camper for my hidey hole.
The cookies and coffee sales would have paid for
supplies to last our group for a few years.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MentalPriapism

You'd think someone would realize that they would be better off paying to rent the meeting space and bringing their own food from Costco

SILENCE! How dare you suggest our government officials eat food from Costco! The unmitigated gall!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

paid for a used 28' camper for my hidey hole.

(***raises hand*****)

Mamabeth...what's a "hidey hole?" Do I have one of those?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Hidey hole...my end times hideout.
I have one and you need to get one!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
At least you can justify the $40 asprin. Liability mandates that a doctor has to proscribe the asprin, a pharmacist has to take it out of the container, verify that it is an asprin and place it in the paper cup. Somebody has to transport the asprin from the Pharmacy to the Nurse's Station, then the nurse has to deliver it to the patient. All of these people have to be paid, the asprin has to be purchased, delivered and added to inventory. That all costs. A company that I worked for did a cost study analysis that showed that it cost us $10 just to move a part from one work station to another. It didn't matter if we were moving one part or one thousand parts, it still cost $10.

What can't be justified is me being charged $7.50 for a 12 oz. cup of warm beer, in a stadium paid for with my tax dollars.

edit on 23-9-2011 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The fact that our tax money ends up in the pockets of politicians is totally absurd in itself, but oh no, insane amounts went to private companies too. Your tax money you pay should go to benefit the infrastructure. Roads, utilities, essential items critical to the public good. Everyone should pay the same tax rate as well, no breaks for the rich.

Government should be an idea, not a thing. A collective thought and process that keeps the country stable and functioning, made up of people who want to help, who want to make things better.

It doesn't take a $16 muffin to do whats right. It's time for these people to go.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
reply to post by ldyserenity

[color=dodgerblue]Screw college!

I am going into the muffin business!

I know its kind of old news, even though its a current story on Yahoo, but it is just so ridiculous that I had to make a post.

Hey, relax, don't you understand this is all part of the government's plant for help boost the economy..they are just being more efficient!
You want them to spread the wealth? Here ya go!
Instead of pumping money into a bunch of small businesses they just overpay one business.

Saves time!
Someone should introduce a bill to force overpaying small businesses for muffins and coffee!
Midwesterners pay attention, we'll need grain for all those muffins!
Invest in Starbucks..the new Microsoft! ( Only Starbucks would have the sack to charge $8 for a cup of joe)

disclaimer for some of the slower ATSmembers.
**SARCASM ABOVE!***

Hey

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
The fact that our tax money ends up in the pockets of politicians is totally absurd in itself

How else are you going to pay them?

Your tax money you pay should go to benefit the infrastructure. Roads, utilities, essential items critical to the public good.

Agreed.

Everyone should pay the same tax rate as well, no breaks for the rich.

No. Taxation should be scaled progressively.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Only Starbucks would have the sack to charge $8 for a cup of joe

[color=deepskyblue]
The bad part is that I worked at Starbucks once upon a time. They are responsible for my caffeine addiction! Thanks a lot Starbucks!

I guess I am just frugal and $8 cups of coffee seem like such a waste. $16 muffins are even worse. $8 is more than my daily pot of coffee for an entire month and I could bake several dozen muffins for $16.

It's just hard for me to imagine, I guess.
edit on 2-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

How else are you going to pay them?

Well now that i think about it, some of the money would have to go to them for their services. Although only at an acceptable rate, not some absurd 400k a year. Nothing they can do is worth that much.

No. Taxation should be scaled progressively.

Again, given time to think about this, i do see your progressive tax code being fair. The more a company makes, the more public resources they will use. (Wear on roads to deliver their goods, deliver their supplies. They would essentially use more than the general public and be responsible for more.

I know not to post extremely late now when my brain is asleep.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join