It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terminally ill people warned over benefit cut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Terminally ill people warned over benefit cut

www.bbc.co.uk

Thousands of terminally-ill people have begun receiving letters warning them their benefits could be cut in April even though Parliament has yet to approve the changes.

Under proposals being scrutinised in the Lords, Contributory Employment Support Allowance (CESA) will be time-limited to 12 months from April 2012.

The changes will be retrospective.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Forgive me if this has already been posted, I've literally only just come across the article. If it's double posted or needs moving, I'd be grateful if a mod could do that for me.

I know this is about the UK benefit system but really? This is sick.

Basically, the UK government is thinking of telling people who are dying slowly that it's tough luck that they're taking their time over it, they'll take their money away from them because hey, they're dying right? Not like they're gonna need it much longer.

Oh and, if you've 6 months or less, don't panic because you can still keep what little money is given to you.

Words cannot express how truly disgusted this makes me feel and how ashamed I am to be British right now.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
That is alarming!! Wether in the UK or America, money is more important than human lives and that makes me sick!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
That is alarming!! Wether in the UK or America, money is more important than human lives and that makes me sick!

There are people that will say these people contribute nothing to society and are a drain on the system. But you are right money more important than anything. Humans have turned into a sick perverted race with no emotions. The profit motive has ruined us as a people.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Ha, you think the UK is bad, right here in the USA, in Oregon, terminally ill people can choose "assisted suicide" and in at least one case, they refused to pay for expensive drugs for a woman with cancer, and urged her to consider assisted suicide.. In other words, we wont pay to treat you, but we will pay to kill you.

www.foxnews.com...

Welcome to the new USA of the future.

Why do you think our federal government is pushing so hard for the "government option" for healthcare in the USA?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

That is revolting! I thought the proposed bill here was bad, but that just takes the cake.

'Sorry, we won't help you live, but if you just go over there and take this nice little pill, you won't have to worry any more!'

Geez, what have we come to when we offer death rather than life?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sephrenia

Revolting wasn't my choice of words when I first found out about that... But I can't tell you what words I used here on ATS.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ok, before we all get our knickers in a twist, lets just examine what it is that is proposed..

Firstly, this isn't even law and the letters are merely an advisory so people don't suddenly find they have had it cut.

Secondly, this is a time limited allowance aimed at helping people cope with disability or illness with a view to returning to work.

As part of this allowance, you get access to special advisors and other services to assess what work you can do with a view of moving you into work you are suitable for. It was never designed either for just terminally ill people nor an indefinate benefit (hence why it is an "allowance").

If it is assessed that you have an illness that severely affects your ability to work, you will get increased financial support in the form of an actual, permanent benefit, such as Incapacity benefit and the CESA will end..

So, in short, this is a bit of a storm in a tea cup and they have used the "terminally ill" as a shock tactic so they can get a story. Actually shocked the BBC article didn't mention this, as they are usually quite balanced.

Here is link to the Government website explaining what the CESA is, what it entails and who is elligible.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I understand that it isn't law yet and is merely in front of the House of Lords and that it is a time-limited thing. But what happens when you hit that magical 12 month mark? Benefits stop and you have to reapply.

Even though people will be given notice that they are approaching the 12 month deadline (no pun intended) and need to reapply, it still takes time for the system to process benefit applications (usually a few weeks depending on how swamped they are) and while you wait for that, you get nothing. No Disability Living Allowance, no Income Support, no Carers Allowance and that has a knock-on effect on Housing Benefit and Council Tax benefit.

If you're terminally ill, you're not going to be working and probably won't have a monetary buffer to tide you through until (if) payments resume, so what do the sick do then? The rent isn't paid, bills aren't paid and food in your cupboards dwindles because you haven't got money to buy more unless you start selling your possessions to shops like Cash Converters.

No matter how you look at it, the terminally-ill are the ones who will suffer most.

I'm not saying that all people on this benefit deserve to be there, but I am saying that making this change WILL affect the terminally ill and probably for the worse as the stress of having no money will likely exacerbate their conditions.

In some ways, I can see why a change like this could be a good thing (forcing those who feign illnesses to undergo medical reassessment under the new rules), but it doesn't make the point about those who are dying any less valid.

That's just my take on it though.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
When we fail to take care of our sick and disabled, elderly, hungry and needy then humanity has failed... No matter where it is.

When government is all we have take care of them, and they are looking for ways not to... How long do you think we really have before all is lost?

For far too many people dependence on government is a way of life now... what does that really tell you?

Economic decline and government debts are going to come into play soon... everywhere.

This is not just a problem in the UK, or USA... It is ultimately a problem for the entire human race.

Are we headed toward a future where birth controls are mandated by law.. And disabled, terminally ill, elderly and/or any person that cannot contribute are going to be "suicided"?

Don't be surprised if that is where we end up one day.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Oboma has made egregious health care directives with us veterans. I have a terminal illness and take about 12 or more prescriptions depending on my health of the day.

Sure, I could use the over worked V.A. health care system for free or utilize Medicare. I choose Medicare and my choice of Doctors for better healthcare.

Under the new regime, I am going to have to pay far more for my prescriptions.

I was told I was going to have free health care for life when I went into the military. A verbal agreement still holds weight in court.

Unfortunately that is not the case. I truly believe that we are in a new era that the sick and old are not worthy and should be terminated. The very people that gave to others so they could aspire. Now that we are worthless, we are expected to expire.

Not right.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I can only speak from what I have seen personally and what I know, but if you are in full-time employment when diagnosed with a terminal illness it doesn't mean you lose your job, are unable to work or that you are suddenly penniless.

For example, my employer makes an effort when someone croaks and informs everyone (we're a FTSE100 company with over 5,000 employees, but they still take the time) via an e-mail obituary. Now, my point is that many continue to work and even if they don't, statutary sick pay kicks in and, for the most part, people get 6 months at full pay and another 6 months at reduced pay.

Now, I realise that some people won't be so lucky as to have a full-time job, but this is never an ideal world and for the most part, people have several safety nets provided by law.

I think this is a case of changing the system to benefit the most is likely to upset some. I am sure that as this goes through parliament, there will be provisions made. That is the beauty of the system, rarely does a Bill go through Parliament in it's original form, so our best bet is to keep an eye on it, liase with your MP and hope that amendments are made, which is likely.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I think you're right about keeping an eye on it and I really hope they do make amendments to it. I guess that the reason I'm a little het up about it is because a very close friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer and his doctor can't give him a time frame for how long he'll live. As he was self-employed, he couldn't keep working and although he's lucky enough to have some savings, they won't last forever so the possibility making him and his wife jump through hoops to get help made my blood boil.

What makes it worse? Though I'm ashamed to admit it, I would've let this pass by with no more than a murmured, 'that sucks for the sick' if it hadn't been close to home. I wonder how many others will?

I like your suggestion about talking to my local MP and I'll do just that, so thank you for suggesting it

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

They're dying that's what terminal means, so they really don't need the money? They could defer it all to medicaid instead so their family isn't left with a million dollar bill after they die.
I fully support a person's right to die, by the way. If I was terminal I wouldn't be a drain to society, I'd take some hemlock and never leave a burden on my family!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I see what you're saying and I've already made sure my family knows my wishes if I ever receive a terminal diagnosis (it would've been a one way trip to Dignitas but hell, going out on funky mushrooms could be just as effective and cheaper too), but in the UK, the family isn't left with million dollar bills because of the NHS. All the family has to deal with is the deceased's estate (such as it may be) and whatever debt is owed to people like energy companies, loan people and whatnot on their death.

In the US though, I can easily see that kind of scenario playing out which makes it even worse for the families left behind

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

And so it begins. ...Can you spell E-U-G-E-N-I-C-S P-O-L-I-C-Y ?

...Not that these terms aren't already written into private insurance policies.

GREAT catch. S&F&

new topics

top topics

join