It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   
If god is all powerful, could it make a rock so heavy that it could not lift it?

If god is all powerful, why did it need Mary to give birth to something?

If god is all powerul, why do you send it money!!!!!!

And last but not least, if god is all powerful, why doesn't it answer my prayers? I am failing math, been failing math, and no matter how many goats I sacrifice, it still won't answer my prayers to pass math.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
G-d is "infinite" how can anything be more than it?

It is afterall, not some defined thing we will find, it is the "Everything" that encompasses all the universe.

So it doesn't matter how heavy the rock is.

And for the rest, don't drag Christianity or other religions into it, they may not necissarily be right. But if they are, then who's to say how to explain what G-d does?

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What are you talking about here with:
JTL quoted:
And last but not least, if god is all powerful, why doesn't it answer my prayers? I am failing math, been failing math, and no matter how many goats I sacrifice, it still won't answer my prayers to pass math.

You aren't "really" sacrificing goats? Are you?
Sometimes God answers our prayers in a different way-
like you pray for Him to send someone into your life and you see or think that He never does-but He did and you were blinded and let them slip by. God does many things we are unaware of for reasons we are unaware of. He knows the beginning and the end of all of our lives, so maybe He does not want you to pass math? Or maybe He is answering your prayers, just not soon enough to you..with God there is no time factor. But whatever the case...NOONE here can answer this question for you..NOONE here is God. I do think you shouldn't be sacrificing animals thou- and search deep within yourself to find the answers you are looking for, you might be surprised at what you find there. You sound very "questionable" about your faith in God-maybe this is the reasons your prayers and questions are not answered? You should definately start with faith and then move from there...
Sincerely, Magestica

Oh and 5POF-I don't think you are very helpful to someone who is calling out, in need of answers from God. I sense that you are the "other" side of the coin, just trying to add in his confusion.

(Satan is always there when we are questioning God-James, don't forget that!!!)

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestica
(Satan is always there when we are questioning God-James, don't forget that!!!)

Oh G-d now I remember why I ended up an Athiest for a decade.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

Maybe you could pray for the guidance to learn better study habits.

posted on Apr, 6 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The goat thing was a joke!!!!!

But still, if all powerful, could it make a rock so heavy it couldn't lift it? Why do you send it money? Why did it need a young girl to give birth to a kid?

Also, if she and Joseph were married, why were they not having sex? That had to been a real crappy honeymoon. Virgin meant young girl back then, in other words, Mary was a Megan(some people will get this) and Joseph was a Schober(same as Megan joke)

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Eve the first woman............

Mary the second eve........link to explanation......

) Genesis 3:15: And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel. (NIV).

Many have interpreted the seed in this verse as the Messiah, including the Jewish Targums,12 hence the Talmudic expression �heels of the Messiah�.13 This verse hints at the Virginal Conception, as the Messiah is called the seed of the woman, contrary to the normal Biblical practice of naming the father rather than the mother of a child (cf. Gen. ch�s 5 and 11, 1 Chr. ch�s 1�9). The pronoun h�� (he will crush your head (NIV), it shall bruise thy head (KJV)) can be translated

continued......

aig.gospelcom.net...

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:37 AM
link   
That doesn't explain why a wife and husband weren't having sex. What about the honey moon? Also, back, again, virgin meant young female, not never had sex. Like b*tch meant female breeding dog or b@$t@rd meant born without parents married. Today b*tch means well, it means bad, same with b@$t@rd. Or punk once meant homosexual prostitute, now it doesn't. People, look at the words the way they meant back then, not now. For they were written then, not now.

And still waiting for answer to the rock question.

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 09:45 PM
link   

If god is all powerful, could it make a rock so heavy that it could not lift it?

If god is all powerful, why did it need Mary to give birth to something?

If god is all powerul, why do you send it money!!!!!!

Whats with the rock thing???

posted on Apr, 10 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I believe the "rock thing" is a thought experiment done in the dark ages to figure out what omnipotence really meant.

If God is all-power, then He can make a rock so big that He can't lift it.

If God cannot lift the rock, then He is not all-powerful.

On the other hand, He is not all powerful if He cannot make a rock so big that He cannot lift it.

So either God is not omnipotent or the definition for omnipotence is wrong.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thank you Protector for answering the question. You didn't use bs or bible either,so that is a reasonable answer based on more than faith and myth. Thank you.

Now, why weren't a married couple getting it on?

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Goats ? I understand why it doesn't work with you.Me, I use sheep and it's working pretty good.

Of course, a good solution would be to learn more your math lessons.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Sheep? Good idea! Right now I am using virgin rats. Don't ask how I know they virgins.

MATH SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Sheep? Good idea! Right now I am using virgin rats. Don't ask how I know they virgins.

MATH SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I don't ask how you know.

Math doesn't sucks. Maths are the key of the Universe. When you have the key of the Universe, you understand Who's God.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I don't think God needed a virgin, but the fact that they stick with the idea means that someone cared about keeping that part of the story intact. Women having children without a father is not really an impossibility, but it is very rare. Natural processes can occur where a genetic addition is given birth to where no father is needed. The odd part is determining the sex of this fatherless child. Anyway, the stories could very well be true, but if your faith balances on such a mundane fact, then I think you should look for another religion or a new brain.

Another thing, the "rock" question is an extremely important question in philosophy and is never taken lightly. If someone's ideas do not create logistic sense, then they are forgotten almost immediately. There are some good responses to that questions, but most people don't take the time to look for them.

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
Who ever said that Mary remained a virgin? The Bible speaks of James as
the brother of Jesus. If I recall correctly, it never refered to any other
apostle as the brother of Jesus. Only a few denominations hold the stance
that Mary remained a virgin all her life. Mary and Joseph were supposed to
be righteous Jews which meant that they were to produce children (and a lot
of them). James was the physical brother of Jesus. "The rock question" is
really a stupid trick question and does not deserve an answer. Another thing
It you really need to know why God needed a virgin, read C. S. Lewis.

hi

''Brothers and sisters'' of the Lord , as used in the Gospels, has a meaning completely different than what is meant by brothers and sisters of the Lord in contemporary tems,
According to the custom of Eastern peoples of that time, as is now kept in the life of Arabicpeople living in Palestine and Asia Minor,''brothers ''meant not only the relation of brother, but also cousins, second cousins and, in general, all close relatives.
St Joseph was not a real husband to Her(Theotokos --God bearer)he was only BETROTHED,the custodian of Her virginity.
This means that bothers and sisters of the Lord in the flesh could only have been first and second cousins, and then only by maternal lineage, in the lineage of His Most pure Mother.Blood relatives bt paternal lineage did not exist for the Saviour,for He had no father in the Flesh.'

In the Gospel account no clarification is given for the ''brothers of Christ'', although several of them are even mentioned by name:James,Joses,Simon and Judas(cf.Matt.13:54-56 ).much has been written about the ''brothers of Christ'', many judgements made and theories proposed, but they all contain cotradictions or are lacking in fact.

If these ''brothers'' of Christ appear in the literal sense, that is,they were actual relatives by flesh, then they could have been second cousins.The Apostle Matthew speaks of their mother as being Mary, the mother of james and Joses, the wife of Cleophas,who appears to have been a cousin of the Most-Holy Mary.The ApostleJohn also calls her sister of His Mother (John 19:25)
Ancient tradition would not have any opposition if the Apostle Mattew had not mentioned that the mother of James and Joseph was Mary, whom the Apostle John names Mary of Cleophas,sister of His mother (Mattew 27:56; John19: 25 )therefore several scholars came to the conclusion that ''brothers'' of the Lord were His second cousins by blood.
st Joseph the Betrothed was the son of Jacob.Jacob was the son of Matthan.But Jacob was married ,according to the levirate law , to the wife of his brother Heli who died childless.The levirate law prescribes that if a man dies childless, his brother should take his wife and raise up seed unto his brother (Deut. 25:5-6 )
By this law, Joseph was the son of Heli, althoughaccording to the flesh he was the son of Jacob.
That is why the holy Evangelist Luke, in presenting the lineage of Christ, called Heli the father of Joseph, speaking of Christ thus: And Jesus Himself began to be about thirty years of age, being as it was supposed the son of Joseph,who was the son of Heli, who was the son of Mathat,....(Luke 3:23 )
Her husband Joseph being a just man (Matt.1:19 )

WOW......you know what, now im mixed up and there's more but im going to stop!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 02:59 PM
link   
hey james the lesser god does answer prayers. duh he said no and if u arent a christian then you dont hear his prayers

posted on Apr, 18 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The goat thing was a joke!!!!!!!!

Well, why weren't they getting it on? If a wife doesn't put out, husband doesn't stay with them. Pretty basic logic there. Not bible logic, for using bible logic I am going to hell for not being catholic. Of course, if I was, then I'd be going to hell for not being Protestant, and so forth.

posted on Apr, 19 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Q: If god is all powerful, could it make a rock so heavy that it could not lift it?

A: you can make a snowball that is greater than you can lift, but through engeneering you can move it without difficulty.

Q: If god is all powerful, why did it need Mary to give birth to something?

A: To show us once again that we are like God, that we are created in his image and likeness. That it is possible for a human to live perfectly after God's wishes.

Q: If god is all powerul, why do you send it money!!!!!!

A: I've never given money to God. And I don't know of anyone who has.

Q: And last but not least, if god is all powerful, why doesn't it answer my prayers? I am failing math, been failing math, and no matter how many goats I sacrifice, it still won't answer my prayers to pass math.

A: An example: You are carefully monitoring an ant colony. What you can do for the ants, God can do for us (and more of course). Given you can understand their ways of communication, you can listen to their needs and wishes, you can help them, judge them and teach them as you see fit. But I hope you understand that it is extremely difficult to fullfill every wish of every ant in real time. But you can help everone through some simple moves. See?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on May, 24 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ok, you can make a snowball so big one can't lift it, but with engineering you can. Why is god using engineering? He is god, he should be able to lift it on his own. But if he can, then it's not so heavy that he can't lift it, so again he is flawed for he can not create something so heavy that he can not lift it.

And again, MAry and Joseph were married, why no sex? Second, virgin meant young female, so for all of you who can't get it through your head, Mary being a virgin meant she was a teen pregnancy case and Joseph should be in jail for statutary(sp?) rape.

top topics

join