It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo Censored Occupy Wall Street Emails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Over the weekend, thousands gathered for a “Tahrir Square”-style protest of Wall Street’s domination of American politics. The protesters, organized online and by organizations like Adbusters, have called their effort “Occupy Wall Street” and have set up the website: www.OccupyWallSt.org. However, several YouTube users posted videos of themselves trying to email a message inviting their friends to visit the Occupy Wall St campaign website, only to be blocked repeatedly by Yahoo. View a video of ThinkProgress making the attempt with the same blocked message experienced by others (click full screen for a better view of the text):

Your message was not sent
Suspicious activity has been detected on your account. To protect your account and our users, your message has not been sent.
If this error continues, please contact Yahoo! Customer Care for further help.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

(Source)

The message is clear here, folks: Don't use yahoo! Infact, don't use mainstream mail providers to send messages that are even 'semi controversial.'

I would suggest using a service like cyber-rights.net. www.cyber-rights.net...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I use yahoo as an alternative e-mail address. I am truly not surprised. I have had this happen to me before. I can't remember what the subject was however.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I use yahoo as an alternative e-mail address. I am truly not surprised. I have had this happen to me before. I can't remember what the subject was however.

This is the next step in internet censorship. MSM controls TV, magazines, newspapers, and now the internet can be controlled the same way...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Prediction..

"Anonymous targets yahoo in latest attacks."

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
As a 30 year computer guy and as a network engineer. I think they got caught by a spam filter configuration. The mail was not sent to the bit bucket or bounced to the sender. Yahoo reported that the mail was probably spam but could be retrieved -- embarrassing -- unprofessional - but I have seen enough networks shut down bu accident that I am not going to hop on the blame ferry right away. I have no love for Yahoo but I don't think they did this on purpose.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
As a 30 year computer guy and as a network engineer. I think they got caught by a spam filter configuration. The mail was not sent to the bit bucket or bounced to the sender. Yahoo reported that the mail was probably spam but could be retrieved -- embarrassing -- unprofessional - but I have seen enough networks shut down bu accident that I am not going to hop on the blame ferry right away. I have no love for Yahoo but I don't think they did this on purpose.

While I'm not an actual tech, due to being in IT sales for some time (selling infrastructure/virtualisation/networking/firewall/WatchGuard solutions) I can understand that. I'm pretty sure Yahoo! has some serious quarantine processes in its internal mail filter for html links and any external content embedded in an email (to stem the tide of spam).

Try sending a text only email with just the keywords 'occupy wall street' used- no links and see if it gets through. If it does, I was right, if not there may be cause for concern.

Don't set that witch on fire just yet.

edit on 21/9/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics

While I'm not an actual tech, due to being in IT sales for some time (selling infrastructure/virtualisation/networking/firewall/WatchGuard solutions) I can understand that. I'm pretty sure Yahoo! has some serious quarantine processes in its internal mail filter for html links and any external content embedded in an email (to stem the tide of spam).

Try sending a text only email with just the keywords 'occupy wall street' used- no links and see if it gets through. If it does, I was right, if not there may be cause for concern.

Don't set that witch on fire just yet.

edit on 21/9/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

Since it's been brought into the public light, I doubt they will purposely block it anymore.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
# yahoo..

BOYCOTT THEM... nuff said. it's not hard to get a new email address. Give up yahoo.. share this video and others like it!

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

That's great that you're a network engineer, but that doesn't mean you understand anything about the internal mail filtering capabilities that Yahoo uses. I'm sure there are rules in place that determine if a single email is being sent from one sender to another, or if it is a group of people who have exchanged emails before, the message would not get blocked as spam. And infact, the user has the ability to determine if it is spam, as they can mark it as such.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I have Yahoo mail.
They censor EVERYTHING!
I can't even count on my fingers and toes how many times
my account has been 'suspended for suspicious activity.'
I email one person at a time...never more than one link.
They're record holders for censorship in email, I think!
I just don't email anyone anymore....

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
No big conspiracy. I use Yahoo as my junk email account and I got the same error message last week when trying to email a school assignment totally unrelated to the OWS protests to my main email box so I could print it off downstairs in the computer lab. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Meh... I use other email services.

Anyhow there's still IRC and stuff like mumble/murmur. Not like I can't get through online if I need to.

top topics

join