It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Social Security number is private

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Im really not sure why banks and credit cards,employers and other types of scoundrels not mentioned above ask people for their social security number.Legally,they have no right to ask.Your social security number was issued to you for the sole purpose of social security distribution.Most of the older social security cards even say on the bottom,for social security purposes only.So next time one of these institutions asks for your social security number,ask them why they would pry into your personal information.Tell them they have no right to ask that information and ask to see the manager.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

Not true. The banks and your employer have that right as well as any local government agency. Creditors can require it and you can choose to say no, but they can then refuse you credit.

That's an old myth spread by activists long ago. Never was true.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by brindle

Not true. The banks and your employer have that right as well as any local government agency. Creditors can require it and you can choose to say no, but they can then refuse you credit.

That's an old myth spread by activists long ago. Never was true.
Thanks for the information.I will cut the bottom portion off of my card where the social security administration printed " for social security administration purposes only ", because they were drunk when they printed that,and really were just messing around.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

i appreciate you wanting privacy, especially in personal matters like your SS# and credit info. sadly it seems privacy in the USA is as much an illusion as freedom is.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I use to work at a video store, after they went with new management and customer relations. The new system required us to ask for a social security number for new customers. I would always fill in the void with 420's or 666's. Eventually I got written (almost fired) up for signing up 100 new members with the same social security number. Screw that place.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Absco because: cookie oreo banana hammocks.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

One thing I know for sure...don't ever give out your SS number on the internet or over the telephone.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

Im really not sure why banks and credit cards,employers and other types of scoundrels not mentioned above ask people for their social security number.Legally,they have no right to ask.

They have no right to ask; however, by the same token, they have no obligation to hire you, give you a checking account or loan you money. If you want to play their game, then you have to play by their rules.

Try being self employed, accepting cash only; let me know how that works for you.

edit on 21-9-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It used to be that way. I remember the first SS card I got said on the bottom, "Not For Identification Purposes".

Any more, though, your SSN is your identification. It's easier for a computer to process numbers than text.
edit on 21-9-2011 by N3k9Ni because: (no reason given)

top topics

join