It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should The U.S. Abolish the Death Penalty ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This was a poll question on CNN.

It got me to thinking, maybe we could discuss it here.

Also this thread : Death-row inmate Troy Davis Denied Clemency is an ongoing discussion about one case in particular and the reason for the CNN poll.

I don't think the Death Penalty should go away. If nothing else I think the U.S. should use it more often.

Why sentence someone to death and leave them in prison for years and years. I get the appeals process and all that, but I mean in the end, just do it and get it over with.

How much money would be saved if the entire process was shorted to just 3 or 6 months, one year maybe? From sentencing to execution. Just a thought.

So what are your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

No sir, I'm all for the death penalty and think it should be extended to include child abusers/molesters, rapists, and stupid people (okay, the last one was a joke...sort of). I'd like to see them bring back hangings. No more tax payer money for lethal injection drugs or electricity for the chair. A good, hempen rope can be reused many times. Also, no more years spent on death row. Give them the chance at one appeal and if the same guilty verdict is returned, then take them out back, hang them, and be done with it. I would be a happier person if that's how this process worked.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yes because of this Wrongful execution

I rather see a guilty person in jail for the rest of their life than an innocent person executed.

Its for that reason the UK doesn't have it but you gun ho Americans can't see the logic in this...

What a worse punishment?

If your dead your not being punished your gone, finished etc.

If your in jail for the rest of your life you will suffer and pay for what you have done.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

If you're guilty and dead then you're not costing the tax payers millions of dollars to keep you clothed and fed.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The system is fine the way it is.

Each State decides if they want it or not. Each criminal in each State that has the Death penalty should think twice..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I say keep it, but just for the Politicians.

Bring back medievil stocks as well, so we can happily throw rotten food at them, or just BigMacs, same difference.

Although we can do that anyway. So yeah, just for the Rumsfeld's and his kind.

st.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

but what if your not guilty and dead? your just interested in money I assume?

I hate the stance "our tax money" etc. its a small percentage probably less than 0.00000001% but you rather not pay that and have innocent people fried in an electric chair is what your basically saying...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yes.

Abolish the death penalty, the concept of prison and the police.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yes, we should abolish it... I think all murderers must be set free and given their own transportation, of course the Tea Party would be agaisnt this but I am sure our founding fathers would much rather give a thief a horse to live in a different town than to hang a horse thief or child molesting murderer. Our government needs to do a better job providing for criminals that have killed multiple people. This is one reason why the tea party is racist.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

I rather see a guilty person in jail for the rest of their life than an innocent person executed.

Its for that reason the UK doesn't have it but you gun ho Americans can't see the logic in this...

What a worse punishment?

If your in jail for the rest of your life you will suffer and pay for what you have done.

And continue to be a sponge on the law abiding tax payers. Nope, a dead convict doesn't cost me a dime.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

i don't want to be the impetus for someone else's death. speaking strictly for myself, given the choice between life in a supermax or death, i say kill me now. being warehoused in a tiny cell, no window, for 23 1/2 hrs a day is barbaric beyond nightmares. i'd rather go lights out and let others use whatever body parts they can for their benefit.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by STEADFast
Yes, we should abolish it... I think all murderers must be set free and given their own transportation, of course the Tea Party would be agaisnt this but I am sure our founding fathers would much rather give a thief a horse to live in a different town than to hang a horse thief or child molesting murderer. Our government needs to do a better job providing for criminals that have killed multiple people. This is one reason why the tea party is racist.

I'm really hoping you're being sarcastic because, if not, this may very well be the most idiotic thing I've ever read.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
the death penalty as it currently is applied in the united states is part of a broken system and because of that it should be abolished. without the ability to be 100% sure that the person being executed, is indeed the perpetrator the system will invariably put innocent people to death. it has happened and will happen again.

however since over 2/3 of Americans are pro death penalty, i don't believe that will come to pass. Davis was on death row 20 years,(convicted in 1991) he had ample time to prove he is not the perpetrator. he has not, there is some doubt since 7 of the 9 witnesses that testified against him have since recanted. however the supreme court even believed that he hadn't been railroaded and only required the state review the case, they USSC chose not to rule directly on his case, read their decision.

my personal view however is, we should never execute, not without infallible and complete evidence that the person being executed is 100% guilty.
edit on 21-9-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by KILL_DOGG

What a worse punishment?

And continue to be a sponge on the law abiding tax payers. Nope, a dead convict doesn't cost me a dime.

Again not answering my question i'll put it in capitols for you...

WHAT ABOUT THE INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING EXECUTED?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The death penalty is being hypocritical, the last thing a justice system should be. You are punishing death with...more death!

It's also hypocritical that the president can murder millions of people and no penalty given there.

Zero legitimacy for any government that uses the death penalty, which is why Bush had the most executions as Texas governor, moron in charge will lead to moronic policy.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by KILL_DOGG

No sir, I'm all for the death penalty and think it should be extended to include child abusers/molesters, rapists, ....

naw those types should always get life in prison, a rapist being raped by other rapists lol the irony and such poetic justice...molesters never do well in prison, the longer their stay there, the more likely their inevitable gory death. again, THAT is justice.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Any sheeple who believe in it is a dam idiot..sorry but........how can you legally justify doing the exact same thing that that is being done... if killing is so wrong which it is...then how can it be the remedy for the same thing....in that case then why dont the law makers just allow the victims family a pass ro retaliate since it was them who suffered the loss and feels the intimate pain cuased by it...if thats the case then why are govts exempt from being brougjt to justice since many times in history..they are the ones who have cuased the most deaths...especially without just cuase...some just feel its great to be controlled by unjust people.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Again not answering my question i'll put it in capitols for you...

WHAT ABOUT THE INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO ARE BEING EXECUTED?

Oh...sorry...they don't take up any of my tax money either.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Death penalty is a tricky subject for me. In my opinion, no man/woman has the right to sentence another man to death unless he does it himself in self defense.

The problem is, I don't know a better solution. Perhaps we could work on finding better way of space travel and set the criminals up as colonists on other planets to make a new life for themselves.

IMO, I don't believe in punishment as much as redemption.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
They need to take it back to the old days. If your found guilty and sentenced to death then the sentence is carried out in a few short days. Whats the point of appeals? you have already been convicted so just take your sentence and go. Dont like it? well you should have thought bout that before you did the crime.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join