It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP Service Pack 2

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Help!
I'm looking for folks who have downloaded SP2 or have any knowledge about it's downsides.
I already figure I'll have to turn off it's "firewll", as I have Norton 2004.

It's a 28 mintue download
....I shudder to think how long it will take to install.
I'm also leery of Microsoft's patches, although I have kepy up-to-date thus far.

I already block popups and have anti-spyware on my puter.
How necessary is it to instal SP2 anyway?:bnghd:

Thanks, ATSers!!

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If your reluctant to upgrade wait for it to be released on Windows Update. RIght now it has a few problems with some programs...Norton being one of them. It took me about an hour and a half to install it. Id upgrade for upgrades sake. Just to stay upgraded even though you dont need all of the new features. But the new Automated Windows Update is a handy feature

So if your reluctant...just wait for it to be OFFICIALLY released.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a FEW programs...looks like quite a few programs won't run properly after the install, including some Microsoft products.
support.microsoft.com...
According to Symantec, it won't be a problem ha-ha
www.symantec.com...

SP2 is avail. on the Update website.

Since I am current otherwise I might wait a bit. I'm just afraid you won't be able to download new security updates unless SP2 is installed.

Thanks, dreamland for once again coming to my aid.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I have the serice pack two..

A good site for info on this is www.microtrends.com

Also I got the sp2 from www.downloads.com or cnet...

It works well, and IE seems to be better too, although I use firefox more then that...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
The list wasnt that big the last time I checked

[Edited on 25-8-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
DLM~~wanna bet that list just keeps on growing??

TrueLies~~how is IE better???
I installed Avant over IE, blocks ads and runs much faster that IE alone.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Dont thread, I got a new update window at the botton, like two days ago. I started it and it was diffrent that the regulares. It told me it may mess up my computer. I started it an it was taking for ever. I got it downloaded. It started installing. Started messing up before it was done. I had to restarte my computer to the last good settings.

I would wait.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

*twitches*

IE better?

THOSE TWO WORDS CAN NEVER BE NEXT TO EACH OTHER LIKE THAT!!!! I swear, it MUST be illegal somewhere!

IE is second string to Mozilla's Firefox for me. I use Firefox for EVERYTHING. The only thing I use IE for is Windows Updates. THAT'S IT.

To download Mozilla Firefox, click the Firefox logo:

(Click "Download NOW!" to download Firefox. The most recent version (of this writing is v0.9.3)

Please, never again use IE and better next to each other like that... it's troubling...

*twitches again*

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

EDIT: I realize how much better Firefox is and NEEDED to post it's link.

[Edited on 25-8-04 by prophetmike]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I already installed it on about 20 computers, with lots of differents softwares, hardwares, network application, etc... and no user complained about anything.

You just have to turn off the firewall or set it to allow your software to run (wich is stupid and takes time, if you really want a software firewall anyway, get a real one, another one. But hardware is just so much simplier) and turn off the anti-virus monitoring.(it doesn't monitor viruses, it monitor your anti-virus softare)

Edit: But home users should probably wait for a lighter download. Just at least get the latest critical updates so you won't catch viruses.

[Edited on 25-8-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by prophetmike
To download Mozilla Firefox, click the Firefox logo:

(Click "Download NOW!" to download Firefox. The most recent version (of this writing is v0.9.3)

Then get the ATS Search Plugins and the theme which SHOULD be complete in the next 48 hours.
Waiting for JAK on the icons. Surf ATS in style.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
That's a good idea mOrbid. I will be waiting.
I'm trying to figure out why I need it...from someplace other than Microsoft. It took MS so long to come up with ad blockers, etc. that lots of us already have better stuff than MS is offering.
Does this thing have ANY security patches?
As for the firewall, I knew through past problems that Windows firewall had to be turned off. This SP2 just seems like more crap to remember to turn off...and then have it mysteriously reset itself to wreck havoc. I never planned on knowing this much abouthow a computer operates.

PROPHETMIKE~~actually AVANT makes IE run much faster. Really! Yeah, Firefox is great. I use Avant and Firefox equally. I actaully don't like ATS on Avant, I can't get the fonts big enough. Opera is third, with Netscape for emergencies.

SPITTIN~~Yeah, I got that little icon last week. I clicked on it--but nothing happened

For some reason, I have bad luck downloading from the icon. Now I use it to alert me of downloads, then I go to the website and download directly.

[Edited on 25-8-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
My last post was a small rant about how Firefox is better than IE. I then realized this thread is all about Windows XP SP2.

Well, here I go.

I managed to find an early leaked version of SP2 back on the 4th. I installed it and so far I've had no trouble. In fact, my computer has crashed less and responds quicker to certain things. I've had no software conflicts as of yet, and my computer has not gone bonkers yet.

The file I downloaded was a hefty 266MB version. (It downloaded in 20 minutes on a 768kbps cable connection) It took about an hour and a half to install on this machine (KDS Valiant 6380iPTD - P3 @ 800MHz, 512MB PC133 SDRAM, Windows XP Professional).

I installed this also onto the other computers in my home network and they run fine as well (so far). The fastest machine I have is a Dell Dimension 8250 - P4 @ 3.06GHz w/Hyper-Threading, 1GB RDRAM, Windows XP Professional. (All of my comps run XP Professional) It took a 20 minute install on that machine.

I think SP2 is DEFINITELY worth the download. While it may have holes in itself, it sure fixes a lot. It's more good than it is bad.

I say download it. Today was supposed to be the day it appears on Windows Update.

GO FOR IT.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[Edited on 25-8-04 by prophetmike]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

DLM~~wanna bet that list just keeps on growing??

The latest Service Pack for Windows XPService Pack 2 (SP2)is all about security, and its one of the most important service packs ever released. It provides better protection against viruses, hackers, and worms, and includes Windows Firewall, Pop-up Blocker for Internet Explorer, and the new Windows Security Center.

These updates contain all the fixes and enhancements which have been made available in the previous year. The updates (called Service Packs) provide convenient, all-in-one access to the most up-to-date drivers, tools, security updates, patches, and customer-requested product changes.

www.microsoft.com...

I noticed ie was better because we got enhanced firewall, and the popup blocker, and the security center. The other stuff I didn't know about until just now at that website I just gave...

DL it, it's very important, and will be well worth it... That's my testimonial

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My husband uses IE, so I dl it because we got a virus last week through it.
Hackers seem to attack IE more because it has so many loopholes and inconsistencies, so I use firefox personally, but my husband doesn't... I keep telling him use firefox, but damn men don't listen ...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Does this thing have ANY security patches?

Yeah. The list is available on microsoft website I think (I've seen it.)

SP1 + all the updates post SP1 only adds up to approx. 160 mo. SP2 is 260. It's probably not all bells & whistles, because the look is pretty much the same.

... and the buffer overrun prevention thingie is not all that bad to have nowaday. If it actually work.

E_T

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
My husband uses IE, so I dl it because we got a virus last week through it.

So now you have good reason to force him to use real browser. (which is standard compliant)

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

So now you have good reason to force him to use real browser. (which is standard compliant)

Is this a new browser???

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
UPDATE!!!!

I went to the Microsoft SP2 page www.microsoft.com... to read up on what to do and what to expect.
I have a Dell Dimension 4500, so I went to the dell link and read that I should upgrade my BIOS.

Dell techs emailed me back. Here is part of their response:

"As per your mail, I understand is that you want to download SP2.

M. _______, installing SP2 may cause a lot of issues with your system.
It might even result to installing the entire operating system to your
computer.

I need to inform you that Dell has not come up with the patches and the fixes which might enable to install SP2 successfully in your system. We will definately let you and all other customers know as soon as we come up with the patches."

Dell owners, be aware.

FYI, no where does the Dell support page tell you NOT to install SP2...at least as far as I can see:
support.dell.com...

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
That goes to show what messes Dull's proprietary hardware can cause.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
That may be, but what's a girl to do,.
between Dell and Microsoft.
The only reason I even decided to do a little research this time is SP1. It installed okay, but messed with my computer in ways not discovered until later. My printer drive went wacko. My main user profile kept crashing IS, Opera, Netscape. After hours and hours of tech support, I had to abandon the profile as nothing would fix it.

Next computer, I ask ATS/BTS for advice.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join