It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OnStar plays BIG BROTHER for law enforcement and insurance companies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

OnStar Begins Spying On Customers’ GPS Location For Profit

I canceled the OnStar subscription on my new GMC vehicle today after receiving an email from the company about their new terms and conditions. While most people, I imagine, would hit the delete button when receiving something as exciting as new terms and conditions, being the nerd sort, I decided to have a personal drooling session and read it instead. I’m glad I did. OnStar’s latest T&C has some very unsettling updates to it, which include the ability to sell your personal GPS location information, speed, safety belt usage, and other information to third parties, including law enforcement. To add insult to a slap in the face, the company insists they will continue collecting and selling this personal information even after you cancel your service, unless you specifically shut down the data connection to the vehicle after canceling.

Of course, if it isn't OnStar, it will be your cell phone carriers who have nearly the same information.

What a brave new world we live in.

edit on 21-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Considering the size of the bribe Obama paid to GM, I imagine the government has access to anything inside GM.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I kinda just figured they were already doing this.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Sucks for you bro.
I drive a Nissan.

All joking aside, that is very troublesome. This is exactly why location and bluetooth/gps settings on all of my phones are turned off, one way or the other, as soon as I get them.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
That IS annoying. I've had OnStar on past vehicles, and always felt safer having it. But I really don't want them keeping tabs on how fast I drive, for example, and telling my insurance company!!! Yikes!

I have an '11 Honda Pilot with all of the bells and whistles. It has GPS, navigation, etc. Do you think that MY car keeps some sort of "records" (computer?) of how fast I drive, etc?

Not that I drive like NASCAR, :-), but there are just some things I want to keep to myself!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Only the beginning...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

I thought so as well. This thread clarifies what I've always believed to be true. OnStar can save lives, but kill your driving record.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Love that!

It's interesting. I always imagined our privacy would be forcibly taken away. I never imagined it would be willingly given away.

Who could have foreseen that?
edit on 21-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Considering the size of the bribe Obama paid to GM, I imagine the government has access to anything inside GM.

of course, Obama is to blame for this...as with everything else that goes wrong in the world. the phrase "you are too stupid to insult" comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
GM doesn't stand for Government Motors for nothing.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Im pretty sure you get a discount from insurance in some places, if your equipped with these types of devices in your car.

But still, it shouldnt be a surprise to anyone who thinks about it.

Its a GPS tracker in your car, what did you think they were gonna use it for?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
When you buy a new car, forget the undercoating and opt in for a nice set of pliers...then rip the damn thing out.

Why people continue to help those that would oppress us is beyond me.

"It's all for our safety" or "If you aren't doing anything wrong, there is no need to be concerned". BS!

These people are what concern me the most.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Forget about OnStar.
Many cars now have a on-board data recorders to record everything just before a accident.

www.harristechnical.com...

You car can now testify against you after a crash.

If you are thinking about removing this recorder its part of your air bag system and if you remove it your airbags may not work.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Not once have I ever used any information from On-Star in the course of my job, even when working accidents. The only time ive seen it used, was to relay to 911 dispatch updated locations of a stolen vehicle to get officers in the area before on-star cut the egine on the vehicle (which is a very nice ability since it prevents pursuits).

That info aside, I dont agree with the the new direction at all... Its along the lines of placing blackbox type setups in cars for accidents and what not. Currently some rental car companies track their vehicles ina similar fashion and the person renting can be fined by the company if they exceed posted speed limits etc (and by that we arent talking the 5-10-15 miles over, we are talking excessive).

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
This just goes to prove my gut screaming at me that the whole OnStar thing was creepy is spot-on. Guarantee it'll become mandatory in the next 5-10 years though.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
This just goes to prove my gut screaming at me that the whole OnStar thing was creepy is spot-on. Guarantee it'll become mandatory in the next 5-10 years though.

Then dont purchase a car that comes with it.

easy fix....

Or, come up with your own version of on star that doesnt go down the road onstar is now.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
That's why I am happy driving older vehicles.

Not only is there less big brother, but they are just easier to maintain in the driveway. I don't have to pay through a bodily orifice to have a tune up or if I want to install a new sound system.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Sounds good to me. Speeders kill innocent people every day in america and i hope onstar turns them all in. I'm no criminal coddler.

new topics

top topics

join