It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran frees UC Berkeley grads, ending 2-year ordeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
They're on their way home. Whether you believe that they never had any intention of spying on Iran or you're a little skeptical of the "just hiking" claim as I am, the ordeal is over.

(09-21) 11:20 PDT BERKELEY -- Two UC Berkeley graduates who were held in Iran for more than two years as alleged U.S. spies have been freed from prison in exchange for $1 million. They were on their way today to Oman on the Arabian Peninsula, where their families have gathered for a reunion, said a source familiar with the situation.

Iran turned over Shane Bauer and Joshua Fattal to a delegation from Oman today, the government-controlled Islamic Republic News Agency reported. The move came after a court in Tehran agreed to set bail for each of the men at $500,000 rather than force them to serve the eight-year prison terms they received recently after being convicted of espionage.

The men's families and the U.S. State Department did not immediately comment on the release, which came a day before Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is scheduled to speak at the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

SFGate article

Anyone care to speculate on what's coming in Ahmadinejad's UN address?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Of course they were spies working for israel. And our govt paid millions of $ in ransom to get them released.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Ahh yes, armchair analyst ..........."of course they were spies"

I hate to tell you this, but if the gov wanted spies in Iran, which they do have.........

They wouldnt have them hiking on some border area.........they would be placed well inside the area, to observe their objectives and blend in with the locals.........

These were hikers, and Iran was using them as pawns..........your beloved Ahmadinnerjacket is a delusional tyrant

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Ahh yes, armchair analyst ..........."of course they were spies"

I hate to tell you this, but if the gov wanted spies in Iran, which they do have.........

They wouldnt have them hiking on some border area.........they would be placed well inside the area, to observe their objectives and blend in with the locals.........

These were hikers, and Iran was using them as pawns..........your beloved Ahmadinnerjacket is a delusional tyrant

Dude..

What kind of an idiot takes vacation and hiking tour in war zone if may I ask..? Even a dead cow knows that they were up to something more than hiking.

Shame that the Iranian government is kind enough for their capture and then release; they should have executed them instantly.

edit on 25-9-2011 by amkia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by amkia

LOL just because YOU might not go hiking there doesnt mean other people dont.........

Infact people hike that area quite often..........Iran btw isnt a war zone, Iraq is, however, the areas that they were covering werent that bad, unless something has happened that im not aware of.......

They were journalist coverign the activity in the area, there are ALOT of people doing that over there, hoping to get that one piece that launches their career.............

Once again, i love how people have no inkling of how operations work , all the sudden become experts.........and being that youre a huge Iran supporter, im not surprised by your point of view
edit on 25-9-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Shane Bauer's mother lives in a neighboring town near me, Pine City, MN. I am happy for her because her son is freed.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Now Mr expert...

The whole area is actually full of mine field setups from and during the Iran/Iraq war and for protections against Kurdish terrorist.

Tell me professor, how the hell they could find their way without special “mine field location map” "without blowing up themselves to pieces right up to the Iranian borders"?

Journalist….?? Hiker..? with all due respect ….My arse.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by amkia
Dude..

What kind of an idiot takes vacation and hiking tour in war zone if may I ask..? Even a dead cow knows that they were up to something more than hiking.

Dude, they were in the Kurdish area. It's pretty quiet up there.

Shame that the Iranian government is kind enough for their capture and then release; they should have executed them instantly.

I'm surprised that they didn't, considering the ass-hats that run Iran.

But going along your line of thinking, I guess that means the US can instantly execute anyone we suspect of spying.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Now Mr expert...

The whole area is actually full of mine field setups from and during the Iran/Iraq war and for protections against Kurdish terrorist.

Tell me professor, how the hell they could find their way without special “mine field location map” "without blowing up themselves to pieces right up to the Iranian borders"?

Journalist….?? Hiker..? with all due respect ….My arse.

Pretty easily considering that area where they were at, and where they were headed to, is known hiking region , complete with specified places on the map to check out, like the waterfall they were headed to........

do you people not read?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by amkia

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about. The area is a backpacking destination and has been traveled by many people, from many nations. I doubt you'll take the time to read this, but nevertheless... Link

new topics

top topics

join