It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I do not vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I do not vote because I feel that it is complete nonsense to choose a canidiate that is full of lies. It is one big political scandal and I will have nothing to do with it. Your best reason for why I should vote is a waste of your breath.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have heard this quite often from others even some in my family. I will simply tell you what I tell them. If you don't vote then you have no right to complain about anything. You cannot complain if you cannot find a job, you pay too many taxes, your kids get a lousy education or you get sick and cannot afford health care.

If you don't like a "mainstream" candidate then cast a vote for one of the smaller party candidates but failing to vote in my opinion should actually effect your citizenship. You should not get the same rights as others who do vote. If you think they are all crooks then run for office yourself and put an "honest" person in office...

But as you said this was a waste of breath but still made me feel better.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dribbler
I do not vote because I feel that it is complete nonsense to choose a canidiate that is full of lies. It is one big political scandal and I will have nothing to do with it. Your best reason for why I should vote is a waste of your breath.

I do not vote because I feel that it is complete nonsense. I do not make my bed because I will just mess it up again at night, I will not clean up my dishes cause they will jsut get dirty again, I will not eat again because I will just end up hungry several hours later. I will do absolutly nothing to effect the world arround me becasue nothing I do will result in any change whatsoever anyway it is all corrupt so why bother.

Why are you even bothering to post?

wraith

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

If you don't vote then you have no right to complain about anything.

That pretty much nails it. It's of course your choice to participate...but you can hardly complain about the NWO, etc. if your apathy helps make it happen...

SMR

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dribbler

Just remember that when you are ever need of any type of government assistance

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
nativeokie... I think you are wrong on that. Well sort of. The only people who have a right to complain are the ones that get the signatures to put the person on the ballots in the first place. No one else has a right to complain whether they vote or not. If you bust your butt to geta good candidate on the ballot and some idiot still wins then you have a right to complain. But the person who settles for whatever is left over is no better than the person that doesn't vote. What is the difference between being the person that votes the idiot into office and the person who avoided voting for an idiot. Perhaps the person with the least right to complain is the one that actually voted the idiot in.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Yeah I have heard all of that before. It does not suprise me that is the only rebutttal you have. You all must work harder to prove that nonsense as opposed to it being your everyday commentary.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Sorry. This thread is just more entertaining if you replace one word.

Try it.

Your best reason for why I should wipe is a waste of your breath.

Okay, sorry Dribbler.
Sometimes it's just out of my hands.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
The only people who have a right to complain are the ones that get the signatures to put the person on the ballots in the first place.

Don't we vote the person getting the signitures into office? We can make a difference we just have to how. If anything the last election should make us pay more attention when we vote for our State Reps. After all the State Reps can pull strings when the election comes down to the wire.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If you do not vote then your views do not amount to much, you can't argue for change and then do nothing to make that change happen. its amounts to wasted breath and time.

p1

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
To be honest I wont vote this year either.. But, I do feel that I have every right to bitch about things my government do.

Why do I not vote and expect these privi's? Because my vote doesnt mean jack sh!t. Period. Just look at the 2000 election.. I voted for Bush, but regardless of my vote, bush had less population votes, and more electoral votes. He won because more guys in office liked his line better then Gores.

The whole election crap in America is nonsense. You vote to feel like you've made a difference. You vote to feel an attachment to your elected president and to feel loyalty. But in the lime light, you've voting to waste a peice of paper and have the real votes determined by a very very small minority of people already in office.

Besides, I wont vote this year because no matter which guy gets in office, it cant get any better. One crook for another.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
IF you really feel the system is bad then try to change it!

I vote, many times against the incumbent, because I know that sometimes one vote does make an electable difference. I know that every vote against or in favor has meaning.

Those that don't vote are politically lazy. Power in any society that elects people only comes from voting. Many times money decides the elected by influencing voters- some times the money goes for naught.

Harrison Schmidt (elected a senator in New Mexico years back) had no chance but he thought he had a message. He campaigned door to door. for months the incumbent just laughed it off. Then for reasons that still make no sense the incumbent (Se. Joe Montoya) referred to Schmidt as a �trained monkey.�

Schmidt had been an astronaut and walked the moon. Montoya's comment infuriated thousands of people that previously had written Schmidt off. He won and served admirably.

Schmidt could have sat around and whined or those that came in late to support him could have.

Local to where I live an election for mayor in a small town was won by 1 vote. You know the loser will scour voter lists to see which one of his friends didn't BOTHER to vote because he had it in the bag.

These kind of stories don't make national news but they affect our lives every bit as much as president.

If you don't want to vote for president then don't. Write someone in, or vote for the other part of the list. One of the many things elections teach politicians is the percentage of votes cast. Imagine a politician winning with 40% of votes cast- he/she may have gotten 60%+ in their race but only 40% of the totally that bothered to vote-

Those that don't vote have a right to complain, their voice is hypocritical.

p1

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Those that don't vote have a right to complain, their voice is hypocritical.

The fact that you think and believe you vote counts in a presidential election is quite humorous.

p1

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Gore
Citizen Votes: 50,996,116 48 % Electoral Votes: 266

Bush
Citizen Votes: 50,456,169 48 % Electoral Votes: 271

Again, I'll point out that your 1 vote wont do jack # in determining who the president will be. The 5 electoral votes determined this years president. The over 500,000 votes against Bush meant nothing.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I dont think anyone should feel obligated to vote if they dont like any of the candidates. Lets see how far down the voting percentage will go before the people in the parties wake up and realize "hey somethings gotta change because no ones voting for us"

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Free speach is covered under the first amendment and not based on ones voting status.

VoteBuddy
Michael Badnarik - Libertarian for President

If you don't like any of the candidates, then write your own name in.

[edit on 27-8-2004 by infernal]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by s13guy
I dont think anyone should feel obligated to vote if they dont like any of the candidates. Lets see how far down the voting percentage will go before the people in the parties wake up and realize "hey somethings gotta change because no ones voting for us"

They don't care if only 1% of registered voters show up. As long as they win the battleground states. So if your line of thinking were carried through, the election would be won or lost based on Skip in California, and Antonio in New York. Jim Bob in Alabama wouldn't count at all. And they would be the only 3 voting.

new topics

top topics

join