It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you prove evolution wrong

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
OP this will never work, It's just going to turn into a off topic debate about who can disprove another person wrong the most.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Got to say the IA win cartoon was well worth the price of admission. Brilliant.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

On the contrary, I think it has been pretty civil thus far.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by jimbo999

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by colin42

Honestly I am not goading. I really would like a legit answer to the question. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately - there are none.

Unless you want to go with the mystical, magical god theory that is...

I would think it would take more faith to belive everything came to be magically from a big bang out of no where then from a all powerful god. but if you want to belive everything came to be magically from nothing and we are here because of a series of random events then be my guest and belive

Well, that's what the science tells us. There at least is evidence to support this. What evidence do you have of a Supreme Deity doing all this instead? And I'm afraid an ancient book doesn't count as evidence.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

Why do only certain ancient texts not apply as a proof? We take the writings of the Mayans and Sumerians at face value. Why not the writings of the Old Testament? Because it doesn't agree with modern science theory? That should not be a proof that it is incorrect. How many times in the last 100 years has modern science changed their stance on key issues of evolution and earth age theories?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hudsonhawk69

Originally posted by Celestica
reply to post by hudsonhawk69

Natural Selection is a part of Evolution. (en.wikipedia.org...)

Sorry to OP - from reading the thread it seems the godly-folk are barely getting a word in - or just not posting. I didn't think the title was misleading and thought the idea was good.

Yes natural selection is a part of evolution

BUT natural selection IS NOT evolution...

?? How can natural selection NOT be evolution? Natural selection is the basic tenet of Evolutionary theory.
Your statement makes no sense to me at all. Can you elucidate me?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

reply to post by colin42

Honestly I am not goading. I really would like a legit answer to the question. Thanks in advance.

I would think it would take more faith to belive everything came to be magically from a big bang out of no where then from a all powerful god. but if you want to belive everything came to be magically from nothing and we are here because of a series of random events then be my guest and belive

Well, that's what the science tells us. There at least is evidence to support this. What evidence do you have of a Supreme Deity doing all this instead? And I'm afraid an ancient book doesn't count as evidence.

evidence to support what? that a magical big bag randomly came to be and line up the events that took place to bring us here on earth? I can say the same thing about god. Evidence supports god created the big bang, how else did it come to be from nothing?

Science is a joke and once they can awnser my question on how magically a big bang happend from nothing then it will countinue to be a joke to me.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Why do only certain ancient texts not apply as a proof? We take the writings of the Mayans and Sumerians at face value. Why not the writings of the Old Testament? Because it doesn't agree with modern science theory? That should not be a proof that it is incorrect. How many times in the last 100 years has modern science changed their stance on key issues of evolution and earth age theories?

Who said we take the writings of the Mayans or Sumerians at face value? I certainly don't - and neither do scientists. The Mayans and the Sumerians also had their own Creation Myths - but they are just myths. No-one in academe takes them at face value - any more than they do the Bible or the Koran.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So the title relates to the text in absolutly no way right ? Good one.

Never thought I would say this but, I miss Madness.

edit on 21-9-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I believe in what there is to believe about evolution. That being - it is possible that everything "evolved" from something else, but it is by far unprovable.

In that regard I also believe in a creator. Whether that creator was "God" or whether that creator was aliens, I do not know. I could not ever hope to know and neither could anyone else. If you claim to believe evolution is 100%, undeniably true - you are wrong. If you claim creationism to be 100%, undeniably true - you too are wrong. That is all that there is to it.

People can not claim to no the answer to something that it is impossible (at least with our current methods) of finding out. Even if we find pinpoint similarities between humans with a line leading all the way back to some obscure bacteria, it does not mean that humans necessarily evolved from that. Cum hoc ergo propter ho. There is no just proof that just because of the similarities that two species exhibit that one came from the other.

As for a creator, the only evidence I have of that as well is the patterns that have been imbued upon most of creator, like a maker's mark. This does not prove a creator, however, but much like evolution it is similar in evident capacity.

I think the answer everyone should accept, at least until something actually credible comes out, is "I DON'T KNOW". Because you don't. Period.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Wow, thanks for putting that video up-. Absolutely stunning. What a talent.

Irrespective of any story it is telling the art is amazing.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

reply to post by colin42

evidence to support what? that a magical big bag randomly came to be and line up the events that took place to bring us here on earth? I can say the same thing about god. Evidence supports god created the big bang, how else did it come to be from nothing?

Science is a joke and once they can awnser my question on how magically a big bang happend from nothing then it will countinue to be a joke to me.

Science is the 'joke' that enables you to sit at your computer typing your response to me. Science is the 'joke' that allows you to light up your house at night, to save your life at a hospital should you fall seriously ill, or to enable you to put food on your table. Science has more than proven it's merit over the last few centuries. So, science theorizes that a massive explosion in space kick-started things. There are massive explosions in deep space all the time.There is nothing particularly 'miraculous' about that. This one just happened to be bigger. With our science we can actually measure the effects of this explosion. We can date it. And study it's impact.
Now, show me some evidence for your deities involvement in evolution. Anything concrete and verifiable is fine...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Nope the title relates directly to the scenario posed and as yet no one has described or attempted to describe how the diversity of life on this planet came to be without refering to evolution.

We are spiraling into yet another discussion about how life was created which has nothing to do the the question asked.

If not evolution then what? The evolution group held off and gave an open stage and the opportunity was not taken by those that deny it.

So unless someone wishes to take up that challenge then I say the point is made.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

so your telling me a big bang magically apeard to creat all things? sounds alot like god to me.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

There are actually many verifiable cases of evolutionary changes in species that are on the records. Species that evolved in a short space of time, or species that obviously are at a critical stage in their evolutionary path (air-breathing, walking fish anyone?). So, yes - evolution is proven beyond any reasonable doubt, and has been for a long, long time. Creationism however is another story.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42
reply to post by randyvs

Nope the title relates directly to the scenario posed and as yet no one has described or attempted to describe how the diversity of life on this planet came to be without refering to evolution.

We are spiraling into yet another discussion about how life was created which has nothing to do the the question asked.

If not evolution then what? The evolution group held off and gave an open stage and the opportunity was not taken by those that deny it.

So unless someone wishes to take up that challenge then I say the point is made.

Agreed.

Although I didn't honestly believe any viable alternative would be offered. Still - if anyone can actually give us something to chew on? Anything?? Anything other than "The Bible says it's so" please.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

I think it can be inferred from the responses by the non evolutionists for lack of a better term that they (including me) believe that God created the diversity of life on this planet in 6 days. This is a matter of faith and it cannot be proven as much as any creationist tries. It is a belief system and I am willing to admit that. Evolution is a theory and is not a fact. The "evidences" can be argued and interpreted til kingdom come but at the end of the day- one side is a theory and the other is a dogmatic belief.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
So the title relates to the text in absolutly no way right ? Good one.

Never thought I would say this but, I miss Madness.

edit on 21-9-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

The title does relate to the text, just a little deceivingly. "Hypothetical: Evolution proven 100% false" would have been more truthful.

I also miss Madness. I don't know why he was banned exactly, though I can infer that it was from his bad tendency to be harsh with his words, he was still really brilliant regardless of that.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

so your telling me a big bang magically apeard to creat all things? sounds alot like god to me.

Nope - I''m NOT telling you that. Nor did I say anything along those lines. Trying to put words into other peoples mouths is a desperate act my friend. Do you have any rational explanation for life on this planet that does not involve evolution then?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

I think it can be inferred from the responses by the non evolutionists for lack of a better term that they (including me) believe that God created the diversity of life on this planet in 6 days. This is a matter of faith and it cannot be proven as much as any creationist tries. It is a belief system and I am willing to admit that. Evolution is a theory and is not a fact. The "evidences" can be argued and interpreted til kingdom come but at the end of the day- one side is a theory and the other is a dogmatic belief.

The scientific term 'theory' does NOT imply guesswork. This is a common mistake made by creationists - either due to ignorance or purposefully - all the time. If you want to truly understand scientific theory, there are plenty of resources on the Net.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join