It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you prove evolution wrong

page: 193
<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Its a brave man who sling accusations of lack of reasearch or understanding in a particular field without knowing anything about the lifestyle or career of the person they're speaking to.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by idmonster

I can look through my library but anything I turn up is either probably going to be from a textbook or a research article.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsthetooth

Do you have any reading you could recomend, or will a quick google search point me in the right direction
Just google and wiki.

Why are you replying to a question directed at another user?

You are aware that other people are on here?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

As I explained long ago to you, a savant's brain is not working faster. What is occurring are certain areas of a savant's brain, such as those dealing with math, cover a larger surface area than a normal person. However, that means that these areas are no longer specializing in the areas they normally would. This is why a savant will excel in one area, but then experience a wide range of deficits in other areas. It has nothing to do with neuronal conductivity
Now in your definition, what your trying to say is that we actually exceed the use of our brain, and if it were bigger, we would be better off. Science has proven that sections of the brain does handle specific things, but if that were the case how could other areas impeede on other areas to work better? The fact still remains, the brain, can, and has worked better. Even in the bible there is a punishment from god that looks like he is bottlnecking our abilities to make things harder for us. I think in part his words were by the sweat of our brow.

The thing that you guys will never figure out, is that our pineal gland, is disabled, and has shut down a major gatway between our cerebel cortex and cerrabelum. They don't work together the way they are suppose to. Thank you god.
edit on 22-1-2012 by itsthetooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Thats cool, if the reasearch articles have been published, names would be good, Same with text book titles. Send them U2U if you like.

No hurry or pressure, just if you remember. Possibly fits in with some other reasearch I'm doing at the moment, it might not even be relevant, but would like a pointer.

Unlike some on here, I try to use peer reviewed articles for research and dont consider wikipedia to be the font of all knowledge.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Why are you replying to a question directed at another user?

You are aware that other people are on here?
You do realize it was my original comment in that reply?
edit on 22-1-2012 by itsthetooth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

As I explained long ago to you, a savant's brain is not working faster. What is occurring are certain areas of a savant's brain, such as those dealing with math, cover a larger surface area than a normal person. However, that means that these areas are no longer specializing in the areas they normally would. This is why a savant will excel in one area, but then experience a wide range of deficits in other areas. It has nothing to do with neuronal conductivity
Now in your definition, what your trying to say is that we actually exceed the use of our brain, and if it were bigger, we would be better off. Science has proven that sections of the brain does handle specific things, but if that were the case how could other areas impeede on other areas to work better? The fact still remains, the brain, can, and has worked better. Even in the bible there is a punishment from god that looks like he is bottlnecking our abilities to make things harder for us. I think in his words it was by the sweat of our brow.

The thing that you guys will never figure out, is that our pineal gland, is disabled, and has shut down a major gatway between our cerebel cortex and cerrabelum. They don't work together the way they are suppose to. Thank you god.

Now you're ascribing sombody elses post to me.

Get a grip.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Now you're ascribing sombody elses post to me.

Get a grip.
Well its not like I was trying to answer for you. It was my original comment in there is why I had an interest in his reply.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by itsthetooth

Its amazing, that when I do post directly to you, asking for clarification on a point you totaly blank me, and yet when I ask a question to another poster, all of a sudden it the most pressing concern of the moment.

Anyway, to clarify, I was asking the other guy for links to information specificaly related savant brain activity, an area which he appears to be more knowledgable than I, and therefore a commodity that I can utilise in other areas of my current employ.

This request has been dealt with, and I hope will bear more fruit. This is how we learn.

First we aknowledge our own ignorance, then if we wish to become knowlegable we seek information, sometimes the easiest way to gain knowledge is directly from those who are more knowledgable that ourselves.

BTW, you still havnt defined "faster " in the context that you placed it. Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Oh good you brought up the pineal gland. Now I get to demonstrate that you've never actually done any research regarding the brain outside of New Age sources. It's clear that you have no idea what exactly the pineal gland does (or the cerebellum for that matter.) The truth is that the pineal gland is one of the oldest structures in the brain. Among its primary functions is the production of melatonin which is important in establishing sleep/wake cycles. Other functions include producing hormones that drive puberty, as well as hormones that are crucial before, during, and after pregnancy. Similar functions have been found across every species that possess the pineal gland. It does what all glands do, produce and release hormones. It does not, nor has it ever, worked as a relay between the cortex and the cerebellum. Furthermore, what would this relay even accomplish? The cerebellum is primarily in control of motor control. So all such a connection would accomplish is maybe allow us to be a little more graceful, but even that is doubtful. Go ahead and bring up Strassman's work though. That's always fun to show why it's wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Do me a favour, edit the above, cos its currently saying that your replying to me, it should be a reply to tooth

TYVM Sir, a scholar and a gent you are
edit on 22-1-2012 by idmonster because: (no reason given)

I predict that tooth will now come back with a statement along the lines of " I said disabled, not non-functional, are you suggesting that disabled ppl have no function. The pineal gland does so much more on our home planet, more proof that were not from fhere"
edit on 22-1-2012 by idmonster because: My prediction

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

According to my computer it says I'm replying to itsthetooth. Maybe something's screwing up with ATS and that's why it's saying people are replying to people they didn't actually reply to.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

BTW, you still havnt defined "faster " in the context that you placed it. Any thoughts?
Well as an example, just like in say the movie rain man. You could drop a box of toothpics on the floor and he would give you count in a few seconds.

At first it may not seem like anything big, but we can in fact do the same thing, its just going to take a hell of a lot longer to get an answer.
Card counting even requires quick memory access, and I have sat next to people doing it. The difference is I don't think savant is struggling as much as we would to get an answer. We can focus and practice to card count, but to a savant, it might be something they can do without much effort.

At times, there brains can work, faster. There is only one reason for this, because the brain can. Now I realize its probably not proof that we are not from this planet, but it is however just one more thing to add to the pot of occurances in the bible.
All I hear from people on here is how the bible is not real, its not proof of anything and its fantasy. I say pfft, its a document from way back then that probably holds some important information on how we got here.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

192 pages, and you STILL continue to spread those lies. Aren't you in the least bit ashamed to spread complete and utter lies that have been debunked dozens of times?

I mean, it's getting really silly. You continue to preach the same garbage, and people completely debunk it. And your reaction? You simply keep on repeating the same nonsense.

The pinnacle of ignorance, well done!
Its a fact that our abilities are bottlenecked, and no one here has been able to prove that wrong, in fact no one even touches that idea of a sevant. I wonder why that is.

In case you don't know what a sevant is, you might have to do your own research. There is only one explanation of how the brain can work above and beyond our understanding, because it can. Come one people, prove the troll wrong.

So are you insisting that your 10% nonsense is the truth?
Simple yes or no answer...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

According to my computer it says I'm replying to itsthetooth. Maybe something's screwing up with ATS and that's why it's saying people are replying to people they didn't actually reply to.
No it was my fault, I was replying to other peoples comments. I just did it because the original comment was my comment, and felt I needed to.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Well as an example, just like in say the movie rain man. You could drop a box of toothpics on the floor and he would give you count in a few seconds.

At first it may not seem like anything big, but we can in fact do the same thing, its just going to take a hell of a lot longer to get an answer.
Card counting even requires quick memory access, and I have sat next to people doing it. The difference is I don't think savant is struggling as much as we would to get an answer. We can focus and practice to card count, but to a savant, it might be something they can do without much effort.

At times, there brains can work, faster. There is only one reason for this, because the brain can. Now I realize its probably not proof that we are not from this planet, but it is however just one more thing to add to the pot of occurances in the bible.
All I hear from people on here is how the bible is not real, its not proof of anything and its fantasy. I say pfft, its a document from way back then that probably holds some important information on how we got here.

Hmm, Ok, you do realise that this has nothing to do with how fast the brain is working. Yes, its an impresive feat, and certainly when you see something like it in real life it is astounding, but that ability is no greater than my ability catch a ball that has been thrown at me which a only see peripheral.

Now I can also understand that you may think this is reflexsive action, and youd be partly correct. When I see a car in my periphery, my body reacts and I jump out of the way. I also get all or the adreneline/endorphins rushes associated with a flight/fight reaction.

However with catching the ball, I do not, there is no fear attached to the action, in the time it takes the savant to "count the toothpicks" I have measured the threatlevel of the object, caculated its flight path and co-ordinated my muscles to move my hand into a converging path, and closed my fingers at the exact moment the ball touched them.

Both pretty astounding feats I sure you'll agree. But niether action demonstrates that the brain has been working faster. ( my definition of working faster would be wuth regard to processing speed, you would have to say that we "normals" have a brain akin to a 800mghz processor wheras a savant goes up to 1.5 gig and this isnt true"
edit on 22-1-2012 by idmonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

So are you insisting that your 10% nonsense is the truth? Simple yes or no answer...
Thats a good question.
How did they come up with the figure 10%? I have heard other ones like 12% and so on. Either way, the original idea had to be based on something. People don't usually just pull something like this our of there behinds without something to back it up.

I'm going to agree that there is certainly something going on. From egyptian days of advanced technology to what is left, Not that we all came from egypt, but something is amiss. Savants prove, the brain can function in a higher capacity. The scary part is it might not be the limits. It's possible that Savants only exibit a small percentage of normality.

I'm going to stick with Einstien, and Jesus, and say there is proof yet again that we are not functioning to our best ability. Jesus was normal in case I never explained this. He was brought into the picture to try to tease us into servituide. And what a better way to do then to show us what we are missing.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Hmm, Ok, you do realise that this has nothing to do with how fast the brain is working. Yes, its an impresive feat, and certainly when you see something like it in real life it is astounding, but that ability is no greater than my ability catch a ball that has been thrown at me which a only see peripheral.
So dropping a box of toothpics on the floor and a savant being able to count all 282 toothpics in 3 seconds versus a math pro taking a minute to do it, you don't think the brain is working to a faster ability.

Both pretty astounding feats I sure you'll agree. But niether action demonstrates that the brain has been working faster. ( my definition of working faster would be wuth regard to processing speed, you would have to say that we "normals" have a brain akin to a 800mghz processor wheras a savant goes up to 1.5 gig and this isnt true"
Well ya but from the angle we would also breath faster and talk faster and eat faster. so its not a good comparison.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

So are you insisting that your 10% nonsense is the truth? Simple yes or no answer...
Thats a good question.
How did they come up with the figure 10%? I have heard other ones like 12% and so on. Either way, the original idea had to be based on something. People don't usually just pull something like this our of there behinds without something to back it up.

The 10% myth comes from the early days of brain scans. The low quality images they got only ever used to show activity in small parts of the brain at a time.

However, even then they were aware that depending on what activity was occuring, ALL of the brain was being used at one point or another, but for any specific activity, only about 10% was being used intensivly enough to register on the scanning equipment.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

There actually is a reason behind it. Pop "psychologists" misinterpreted the claims of actual research and put it in their books. Of course the general public only gets their "scientific" information from pop science books so that's what stuck while the original research is forgotten. There is not a single study that confirms the 10% myth and in fact those who publish it as fact can't even agree on an original source.

new topics

top topics

<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join