It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APD Have Shot One Person a Month For The Past 20 months.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I wanted to take a minute to ask if anyone has a bad police shooting problem in their state? I know this stuff happens but it seems the more I look into it, New Mexico, on top of DWI's, Meth, and Heroin addiction, we're number one again on Police shootings.

Albuquerque Police Shootings

Albuquerque police officers have gunned down one person a month for 20 months — 14 of those shootings have been fatal.

Just a couple of weeks ago, they shot a kid, I believe he was 13, and the officer basically shot him point blank as the kid was hiding from the police in a shed. The kid did not have a weapon or was not armed. But the department said it was justified. (like always)

What makes the story even more sad is that there were roughly around 60 protesters. 60. Most of them were families of the victims.

According to news reports, Mayor Berry vetoed a City Council resolution last month asking for a Department Of Justice investigation; the City Council failed to override the veto at the Sept. 7 council meeting. “Last month the mayor vetoed the resolution passed by the City Council,” Garduño told the crowd on Saturday. “This is cowardice.” Garduño said in an interview that an external investigation is vital in order to bring systemic issues to light. “The community needs to feel they have been listened to and respected,” he said. “The confidence of the community has been lost. No one is saying we have a rotten police department, but rotten procedures and the actions of a few have tainted the department, and we need to bring this whole thing out into the air and remove the taint from the Albuquerque Police Department.”

I'm sorry but I AM saying we have a rotten police department. I was friends with an officer once from APD and he clearly had some mental issues. This dude loved his gun, and was trigger happy. Flash forward 3 years later, he was one of the officers involved in these shootings.

“This isn’t just about a call for justice for the 14 people killed by APD,” said Joel Gallegos, coordinator of the Act Now to Stop War and End Racism (ANSWER) Coalition of New Mexico. “This is about demanding justice for everyone. We are fighting against a system that shoots people, Tasers people and verbally abuses them. We are here to demand our rights for justice.”

And now for the closing statement: I was wondering if anyone else seems to have a police problem like this? To me this is nothing new because New Mexico thrives on being retarded but is this normal in other states?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

my first thought was APD, Atlanta, ony 1? than I clicked on the thread and read, Albuquerque? Really? its that dangerous there?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Not if you are a cop.
Only if you are getting shot by cops.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
City will support Dept. of Justice investigation.

The bill they passed back in August essentially pushed for the DOJ to investigate. That bill narrowly passed, but was vetoed by Mayor Berry. Not all councilors agreed with it. "I just don't support the DOJ coming in. I think the administration is taking care of all the issues and I think it'll happen sooner than later," said Councilman Brad Winter.

Remember, just TWO WEEKS AGO, they shot, killed, and justified the murder of a 13 year old who was hiding in a shed. And he was unarmed.

So yeah, it's a little horrible to live in this state. Just another little ammusement of my state:

Pot bust!

This was the departments proudest moment on Monday. Best part is that I knew the guy who got busted. Even I know 50 is overdoing it. But that's another subject for another forum.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Absco

The cops get local attention so it looks like they are doing something, and thanks to the war on drugs they get more funding. when really all they are doing is ruining peoples lives whose only crime was growing a plant.

edit on 21-9-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Someone posted on here about how when we went into Iraq, we got their poppies fields, and started importing heroin to the US and now it's caused addiction more than it did in the 90's. Best part is that New Mexico is pretty bad when it comes heroin.

The drugs will always continue to feed the department with money, the courts will always be full of non-offending minors busted with a joint.

It seems like when people talking about the majority not waking up, I think New Mexico should be a state of concern. Most people here are super poor and barely even have a radio or TV. We're number one on DWI's. My friend has been hit by a drunk driver twice. Thank god he's alive but the worst part is that the first guy that hit him, that was his 4th time. The second, that was his 2nd.

top topics

join