It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to upgrade Taiwanese F-16s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
China will not be happy about this, but screw them.

Taiwan says US to upgrade island's jets

Taiwan said Wednesday the United States had agreed to upgrade its existing F-16 fighter jets -- widely seen as the second-best option for the island as it faces China's growing military might.

But although the $5.85 billion deal falls short of a Taiwanese wish to acquire more advanced F-16s, the US move is likely to trigger anger in China, which claims the island as part of its territory.

"After the upgrade, the air force's combat capability will be advanced hugely," said Taiwan's defence minister Kao Hua-chu in a hastily called press conference in Taipei.

China this week warned the United States against helping Taiwan upgrade its air force.

"China firmly opposes US arms sales to Taiwan," Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a regular briefing in Beijing Monday when asked about the reported F-16 upgrade plans. "This position is consistent and clear."

Would have been better to sell them F-16 C-D directly...

We'll see what they do. Probably just scream, like always.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
but what about the US telling taiwan no?

US TELLS TAIWAN NO

that was just posted like 2 hours ago???

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Well it says that they do not sell NEW F-16s to Taiwan, which is correct.

But they will upgrade those they already have.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This has been an interesting back and forth with the administration. The F-16 is a good aircraft but is older, however China has SU-27 and some other top of the line Russian / Soviet aircraft.

The last time we sold items to Tiawan in a military nature China withdrew its Officer exchange setup and broke of cooperation in other areas.

China will definitely be upset over this.... Part of me wonders if there is a double meaning in the sales.

Obamas administration has sold more military items to Taiwan in 2009 than the 4 previous years combined.

source

Also, with the recent aggressive stance China has been taking with countries in that area over land and resource claims, I am getting the impression this might be the tip of the iceberg for sales in the region. Couple this announcement with the recent trade action submitted to the WTO by the US against China, and it almost looks like we are drawing a line in the sand.

edit on 21-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
we ghave no money but yet the .u.s is still blowing money helping others :/

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowcorp
we ghave no money but yet the .u.s is still blowing money helping others :/

Tiawan is paying for it... not the US.

Its part of the annual Tiawan arms package they do every year.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

yeah. i saw taht. but you mention in this post that this means the US said screw china...whereas the other thread...people say that means the US sided with china.

so...we're not selling them news planes, which is siding with china, but we are upgrading their planes, which is telling china to screw off?

not trying to attack you...or the other thread. i just found it ironic that within 2 hours...2 threads came up, mentioning different points, but the 2 threads say that the implications of the US's actions shows that the US stands on 2 completely different sides of the same fence.

guess this just goes to show that only the news really matters...the reporters take is shouldn't be paid much attention to. and again..nothing personal with you. i actually can point your name out because i like your threads.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

An f-16 is more than equal to an Su-27 or J-11 especially considering the Chinese are using their own engine.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

Well it's kind of a 50-50.

It side with China because Obama didn't actually sold Taiwan new F-16s... which Taiwan would really need.

But it does upgrades Taiwan's F-16s, which, since it's still help, still say screw to China... but toned down.

So Obama choose a compromise basically between telling totally China to go to hell and just surrendering to them.

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

An f-16 is more than equal to an Su-27 or J-11 especially considering the Chinese are using their own engine.

Indeed. But still, according to Taiwan's own military drills, they would be taken over in about 3 days.
edit on 21-9-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Which is why we always have a carrier group near, and when tensions rise, park it on the far side of the straight.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

You have a link to that info by chance? Reason I ask is I was under the impression the analysis on a Chinese land invasion of the Island was that it would not work. China doesnt have the needed Sea / Air lift capacity to deliver the number of troops needed in one swoop to secure beach heads and what not.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Not to mention they would be sitting ducks during the crossing, by air or sea! I was under a similar impression.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Well I had read that back in 2010 from what I remember. But drills results can vary widely depending on the parameters. I can't find the report for now...

For example :
Taiwan wins in war simulation: report

The latest computerized scenario carried out by the military showed that in a war with China, Taiwan’s military was able to defeat enemy forces after they landed and tried to occupy the country, a local newspaper said yesterday.

But a lot of reading I've been doing in the last year and a half or so seems to indicate that China would be able to take Taiwan before the US can come to the rescue.

The US air bases are too far from Taiwan to provide any real help, even if all the missiles of all the fighters launched hit their targets once in the area.

And China is not stupid enough to attack when there's a US carrier in the region.

It will depend on several factors when it actually occurs... which we cannot predict.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Oh I dont know about the carrier attack. China has developed an anti ship missile that could, most likely, be bale to penetrate a Carrier defense screen, not to mention one of their subs penetrated it once already and surfaced right next to the carrier.

China has a boat load of missiles pointed at Taiwan, which would essentially level anything of value when it would be overwith. I still think though that in the end, that would be the only damage. I dont think we would see an exchange of land between the 2.

Also, the US agreement with Taiwan states we would provide aid so they can defend themselves. From what ive read it does not specifially require US military involvement, just the aid. I dont think China will go overly bonkers with the plane sales.. Where it beomes a major issue is if we sell Aegis class vessels to Tiawan. That would shift the balance, defense wise, to Tiawans favor (Aegis vessels are essentially command and control due to their radar system among other things).

Tiawan has some elections coming up, and there is concern about one paticular candidadte (I dont rmeber her name) but she is no fan of China and supports independance so to speak. China has made it clear that any move in that direction would result in a war..

Should we take wagers where it starts first?

The entire Aisian region is one drunk twitch away from war.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

China has developed an anti ship missile that could, most likely, be bale to penetrate a Carrier defense screen, not to mention one of their subs penetrated it once already and surfaced right next to the carrier.

Yeah I know that, but that's not the point. The point is that China wants to take over Taiwan without starting WW3.

I dont think China will go overly bonkers with the plane sales..

We'll see about that :

China summons US ambassador

China has summoned US ambassador to Beijing after Washington announced plans to sell arms to Taiwan with the aim of upgrading fighter jets of the Asian island.

Beijing has warned that Washington's plan will seriously harm military and security ties between the two powers.

"The wrongdoing by the US side will inevitably undermine bilateral relations as well as exchanges and cooperation in military and security areas," Chinese vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun said.

China urges the US to respect Beijing's stance on the issue of selling arms to Taiwan and calls for the cancellation of the "wrong decision," the Chinese diplomat added.

"China strongly urges the United States to be fully aware of the high sensitivity and serious harm of the issue, seriously treat the solemn stance of China, honor its commitment and immediately cancel the wrong decision," Zhijun said.

Boohoo China. And while this is going on, people in congress are still trying to force the sell of F-16C/Ds to Taiwan. That would REALLY piss them off.

Tiawan has some elections coming up, and there is concern about one paticular candidadte (I dont rmeber her name) but she is no fan of China and supports independance so to speak. China has made it clear that any move in that direction would result in a war..

Ya. But the nationalists have said earlier that they wouldn't go for independence.

Thing is, last time there were elections, just the POSSIBILITY that the nationalists would have won, not declared independence, just won the elections, China was ready to invade Taiwan. (according to Taiwan-US intelligence)

And yes, there's elections in January. Both parties are pretty much equal. And since Bernanke just screwed the world economy today, the world economy is probably gonna take a dive... which will give more votes to the nationalists... which might end up giving them the victory...

And with a crappy economy, that might even push China to invade Taiwan to distract the population.

I hope that Obama has enough foresight to park a carrier in Taiwan during the election and for the week after... as long as intelligence will see signs of Chinese preparations of an attack if the nationalists win...

top topics

join